Summerslam 1992

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Summerslam 1992

About a week ago I read something in my feed about Summer Slam 1992 originally being planned for Washington DC and with an IC title match of Bret vs Shawn Michaels. Very strange one to think on since the show was so huge for WWF in the New Generation and to their place here in the UK overall.

You can say Davey is likely a far smaller deal in 1995-97 without that match but you have to wonder how it would change the history of Bret and Shawn.

If that match is not the main event perhaps Bret, Shawn etc. never get the world titles and Vince continues with his bigger wrestlers through the 1990s. I have heard it said that closing the show at Wembley was the spark that convinced Vince that Bret could be the world champion.

Comment

So SS92 is the reason WWF starting failing? It's a vastly overrated show, so that seems fitting.

But I think the steroid scandal had much more to do with it.

Comment

Hadn't WWF been heading down for at least a year before 1992? I am sure I read somewhere that it starts after Hogan beat Savage at Wrestlemania and does not start to pick up until 1997.

But yes the steroid scandal was what pushed them in that direction but it has been said that the main event being a huge success was what confirmed to Vince he could go with Bret. I don't know what he would have done otherwise. Maybe stick with Savage into his 40s. Stay with Savage until he can move over to Luger. I guess anything could have happened.

Comment

I've heard a version of that story from Bret, actually. Basically that Summerslam was sort of an audition and that he felt like the higher-ups and Vince in particular looked at him differently after that, as though he could be the World Champion rather than just a pretty popular Intercontinental champion.

As for the WWF's popularity, it is generally speaking downhill after the conclusion of the Hogan/Andre angle in late 1987, though you do get a couple of spikes (such as the Mega Powers explosion). And there's actually a bit of stability after Summerslam 1992 - overrated or not it became an important show in the mythos of the WWF and it was a turning point. Things sort of stabilised from then on through until the spring of 1995 when they fall off a cliff again.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Comment

Also important to the shift in WWF is Ultimate Warrior once again failing and flaming out of the company, I have also heard at one time there was a thought that he might take the title back at Wrestlemania IX. Just speaking to my own personal taste, that might have been worse than skinny Hogan!

The '92 Rumble! The Brain's Finest Hour!

Comment

It's interesting, isn't it, because I've also heard that Warrior was supposed to get the title at some point. And then you think about things like the Model gimmick still being really high profile, Papa Shango, Nailz, the Road Warriors having a ventriloquist's dummy.... and then most of those elements are wound down in late 1992 or 1993 and they go in what feels like quite a different direction. Clearly somewhere in the midst of all that, something flips. For all we know it could all revolve around the LoD walking out and Vince deciding against carrying on with Warrior. Everything else could spin off from there.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Comment

You have to wonder as well what might have happened if Jake Roberts took over creative as he was allegedly meant to after Wrestlemania VIII. Could have been great, or he could have fallen apart that much sooner, but it would have been different for sure.

The '92 Rumble! The Brain's Finest Hour!

Comment

Do you think that was ever really true? I have always thought that might just be Jake telling stories.

Comment

1992 seemed like a transitional year for WWF.

Comment

Definitely. Hogan was so central to everything WWF was doing, and 92 was the first year he couldn't be depended on at all. Unfortunately, WWF didn't have an engaging personality to replace him directly, and most attempts fell flat. Hart ended up being the leader of the brand after Hogan, but it took the entire company changing focus and accepting smaller audiences to allow him to be the face of the company. It's also why even with Hitman as a main eventer, Vince still tried with Luger, Diesel, and HBK as the next leader instead of Hart. Bret is amazing and still underrated to this day as a performer, but a lot like Randy Orton today (or HHH,over the last 2 decades), he's a top guy who shouldn't lead the company. And American business suffered with Hart, Diesel, Shawn and Lex as the face of the company.

Basically, from 91-96, it was an era of constant transition. Nothing was stable, and it took the rise of Austin to really give Vince a new direction to focus on, instead of juggling a bunch of semi-successful leaders.

Comment

Working...
                      X