Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prime Time
    replied
    I've always felt that there are a lot of things that explain Undertaker, and that while it might seem like he's a bit of a special case there were local, reasons on the ground if you like, that between 1990-1992 all added up so that it works differently than the way they've done a lot of things subsequently.

But leaving aside my feelings for a moment.... is it different for other people because anything 'supernatural' with Undertaker was part of the package from the off? He didn't suddenly 'become' Undertaker overnight (unless you'd been watching Clash of the Champions the previous June, but leaving that to one side for a minute....)

As I say, for me there are things that explain Undertaker away, but there's clearly an issue with *this* kind of supernatural for people who are even more forgiving than me. I'm wondering what that's about.

Leave a comment:

• PEN15v2
    replied
    I'll take Alexa's creepy version over the Fiend's. I thought the Firefly Funhouse stuff was really innovative and great in so may ways. But the horror movie Fiend was hit or miss, and the more we saw of him, the more it was miss.

I don't need an explanation for why he ca do these things. We didn't get explanations for so many things over the years, such as how Undertaker had his powers and was drawn to the urn. It was eventually explained, but not until several years later.

That said, peak wrestling periods didn't have a lot of super natural gimmicks. Pre-Undertaker WWF, and Attitude Era stuff all had very realistic gimmicks in the top roles. Larger than life and exaggerated. Ministry of Darkness seemed to have a mix of everything, but I'll be honest and say I don't recall everything that well since it wasn't my favorite era to revisit (whereas I could watch WrestleMania 4 or 6 twice a year without hesitation).

Leave a comment:

• Team Farrell
    replied
    Here's the thing: if we'd even gotten an explanation that went as far as cult leader Bray getting really in to the occult and tapped into something more and coming back as this Bray, then cool I'll accept that and we move on.

There have always been stories about like Charles Manson or other occult cult leaders that could do freaky, unnatural things. So that is what it is. Who knows how much of those stories are true, or second and third hand things that have been twisted over time and drug use.

I'm willing to accept that. Take that, "pro wrestling" it and amp it up a notch or two and we're off the the races. All I need is a plausible explanation.

Kevin Sullivan was a Satanist, and did vignettes where he'd make snakes appear or whatever and during the Satanic Panic, people accepted it. I'm willing to accept a lot -- maybe not as much as we get with Bray at this point, but a lot -- if you give me a plausible explanation and it fits what we've already established.

But we went from an established creepy backwoods cult leader with an ability to influence people, to a children's show host apparently trying to shift his influence kids for reasons that still haven't been explained, to an interdimensional demon with the power to impart supernatural abilities to Alexa Bliss and give life to puppets. We're missing a step in between.
    Last edited by Team Farrell; 04-19-2021, 12:44 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Powder
    replied
    You just gave the best explanation we ever got.

Leave a comment:

• Team Farrell
    replied
    Did they ever explain how they got these magic powers? Alexa went from cute girl or bitch heel to being able to shoot fire out of her hands and make goo squirt from her head. And Bray apparently has regenerative powers, and the ability to teleport and go to another dimension where he has full control and an alter ego that's impervious to pain.

Bray was a swamp cult leader. He was creepy, and maybe able to do some weird unnatural stuff, but didn't do magic. Then he went away, and came back as what seemed at the time to be a cult leader of a different kind, maybe trying to influence kids. And took a sudden left turn to magic alternate dimension devil creature.

I don't understand where the turn happened, nor where he went from the original creepy Bray Wyatt obviously trying to fool people into thinking he'd changed into a good person, to in control of an entire alternate dimension with invincible demons and puppets that are apparently real creatures.

Leave a comment:

• Powder
    replied
    In any way....I hope that this feud that they are starting is the end of the Fiend Character. IMO, it should have been with the getting set on fire, and they could have had Bray Wyatt return in a more 'human' gimmick. But so be it.

Either way, this should hopefully end all the supernatural stuff.

Leave a comment:

• Oliver
    replied
    I'm not sure it will mean more segments, exactly - the way I see it they're going to do something where it's Alexa's Proxy vs The Fiend for a bit.

Leave a comment:

• The Cook
    replied
    Unfortunately I think you're correct. Hopefully they keep it to one show.

Leave a comment:

• Prime Time
    replied
    I hear she's split off from Fiend now. Begs the question, could this kind of thing eventually spread to more segments - when they are done with each other and move on to other things?

Leave a comment:

• Oliver
    replied
    Originally posted by PEN15v2 View Post
    A new version of Bray so soon after this Fiend character... damn.
    My guess is it'll be a different version of The Fiend as much as it's a different version of Bray - like I said, a new look Fiend, possibly, considering it was then that was specifically burnt in the ring.

Leave a comment:

• PEN15v2
    replied
    A new version of Bray so soon after this Fiend character... damn.

Leave a comment:

• Oliver
    replied
    If it's Bo Dallas rebooted I'll lose my mind.

Bray in a new persona seems the most likely, with him being a 'phoenix' from the ashes that Orton left him as.

Leave a comment:

• Powder
    replied
    It's not going to be Bray or the Fiend and definitely not Kane...my best guess is that Bray will be debuting a new persona. That is not 'him' but a new 'friend'.

Leave a comment:

• LifeLostInRewind
    replied
    I'm guessing it's going to be Kane.

Leave a comment:

• Oliver
    replied
    Well, they've announced Alexa vs Orton for Fastlane. I'm sure it will be more angle than match, and is a route to bring back Wyatt/The Fiend - perhaps with a change of look given that Alexa has said she's not bringing 'him' but is bringing 'a friend'.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X