Positivity - What you're enjoying in WWE today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Positivity - What you're enjoying in WWE today

I feel this is something needed in all promotion discussions since fans tend to discuss the negatives primarily, but since WWE is what I watch most, here's where I'm starting it.

The most recent Smackdown was top to bottom a near perfect show. I wish they could have built up to it a bit better or held it in front of fans or on a PPV, but for what was delivered, it was great. Cesaro has a huge amount of momentum.

Tamina and Natalya - it's been a simple story, and they're not doing revolutionary work by any means, but this story of the grizzled female vets as a team is better than anyone expected. I know many people are souring on everything involving the women's tag team title feud, but I think it's a lot of negativity based on previous pushes or performances. This current story and the matches are good, and better than given credit for by the IWC. Tamina in particular is standing out.

2005 revisited, but with the women - Batista and Cena ended the Rumble in 2005, and then had their crowning moments at WrestleMania that year. Bianca and Rhea are copying that formula this year. Rhea's heel turn isn't doing anything special so far, but it's nice to see a change in who is at the top of the women's divisions on both main rosters.

Pat McAfee - Is there anything this guy can't do in wrestling? He's a natural. Breath of fresh air in a rather slate state of commentary in WWE.

RKBro - I don't know where it's going, and the history of Orton turning on his partners means this can switch gears at any moment. But as a team, I like it. As a feud between them, I'll like that. And it's not like WWE can't use new and credible teams.

What are you enjoying in WWE today? Please keep the negative for every other thread in the history of IWC.

I actually think that WWE is doing a lot more good than bad right now, but the bad gets pretty egregious sometimes and is all people really take notice of.

For a company that's accused of having the "WWE style", they've got three completely different shows that offer something for everyone. If you're a fan of the indy wrestling style with smaller and more athletic wrestlers, you have NXT. If you like "sports entertainment" you have Raw. If you like more of that traditional pro wrestling you have Smackdown.

They're going hard on pushing new talent, and to my shock they haven't given up on the members of Retribution despite giving up on the concept.

It's never going to be perfect, of course, and there's a lot that make it hard for me to watch, but they are putting out a lot of good.
    https://youtu.be/wue-ZFnEta8
    My latest (and hopefully last) Covid-Era show

Comment

Kyle O'Reilly revealing himself to be the perfect pro wrestler. Maybe it was always there, but the work he's done over the past 6-9 months has been the best I've seen in WWE for ages. It's going to be terrific when he finally wins the NXT Title.

Lashley/MVP are a perfect combo. I'm a little down on them splitting the Hurt Business as a unit of four up, but can't deny those two are doing excellent work.

Comment

This is not a negative statement, but I have not been able to keep up with all the WWE programming for the past few weeks due to my daughter's soccer schedule and the NY Islanders and NY Mets seasons. I also completely gave up AEW a few weeks ago.

As a result, for the first time in nearly 40 years I do not find myself missing wrestling. Maybe, it may be time for me to give it up. I gave it a nice run since 1983.

It is weird for me to say that. Every Monday since January 1993 to recently has been watching wrestling, and tonight is the first time I can actually say that I just do not care. Maybe it is a lack of the crowds so the product is just different, or that I find myself not being entertained by the lack of creativity that the WWE used to have, or that to me, the WWE is just recycling the same people over and over again with nothing new. I know it is not truly that, but my preferences and tastes changing, but I am going to take a break for a while, and see if I miss it.

Comment

Originally posted by Powder View Post
          This is not a negative statement, but I have not been able to keep up with all the WWE programming for the past few weeks due to my daughter's soccer schedule and the NY Islanders and NY Mets seasons. I also completely gave up AEW a few weeks ago.

As a result, for the first time in nearly 40 years I do not find myself missing wrestling. Maybe, it may be time for me to give it up. I gave it a nice run since 1983.

It is weird for me to say that. Every Monday since January 1993 to recently has been watching wrestling, and tonight is the first time I can actually say that I just do not care. Maybe it is a lack of the crowds so the product is just different, or that I find myself not being entertained by the lack of creativity that the WWE used to have, or that to me, the WWE is just recycling the same people over and over again with nothing new. I know it is not truly that, but my preferences and tastes changing, but I am going to take a break for a while, and see if I miss it.
          I don't think that's necessarily negative.

I remember last week or the week before sitting at my school after a class talking with the boys and coming to the realization that after working for literally my entire adult life at this, I wouldn't want to work for either of the big two companies if they offered.

But, the first thing I did the next day was reach out to friends overseas about going there when things open back up. I know a number of guys who have never worked for WWF or WCW but still managed to make close to six figures per year wrestling, doing a handful of tours per year.

Comment

The amount of fresh talent being featured in prominent roles right now is refreshing.

Comment

Not really into Matt Riddle but pairing him with Orton was smart. I almost pissed myself last night and all Riddle did was role past the screen on his scooter and say "Hey Randy".
              sigpic

Comment

The room for error is high, and I doubt the interest and humor can last all that long, but yes, WWE are nailing it with RKBro.

Good point, Buzzard. I'm not sure if there's really a big future for Mansoor, Carillo, Garza, Azeez, Omos, Cesaro (not exactly young, but new to the position he's in), but it's interesting seeing some fresh faces on TV regularly. And, I didn't see a lot for Ali and Alexander on 205 Live over the last few years, but their 2020 heel work showed much more range than I ever expected. So it's possible everyone I mentioned will have a hidden personality that ends up connecting more than I predict.

Alexa Bliss is terrific. The angle suffers after so many failures with the Fiend to do something similar, but Alexa is such a terrific performer that it helps elevate what should be completely awful, and makes it have potential. Plus, The Fiend stuff had high points that gave hope. If WWE learns from their mistakes, maybe Alexa can pull it off.

Adam Pearce and Sonya are very good in their authority roles. Sonya in particular stands out, but so far this hasn't been overbearing like so many authority presences.

Comment

Haven't watched too much but I did watch the WALTER vs. A Kid match that they did on NXT UK recently and thought it was stupendous. Liked it even more than the WALTER/Ciampa match from Mania weekend.

The '92 Rumble! The Brain's Finest Hour!

Comment

So....I can't be the only one who thinks that taking a 5'8", 150-lb guy and calling him A Kid shines an unnecessary light on....something...right?

Comment

It's a weird name for sure. I assume he picked it for himself because he used it pre-WWE. I guess it's memorable at least?

Comment

WWE PPVs (almost) always deliver - We can argue until we are blue in the face about what WWE does wrong, but the consensus among even the most jaded online fans is that WWE delivers on PPV more often than not. Last night's show had the controversial Zombie Lumberjack match, but everything else seems to have been respected as good to great. Much like how I enjoy a little silliness in wrestling (Impact for example), I was ok with the zombies. It was dumb and silly, but it was well done in moments (Morrison's attack on them was a perfect way to segue his into a babyface role with a split from Miz, for example). But even if you hated it, it was the shortest match of the night (I think) and kept quite separate from the rest of the show and stories. It's the same way I grade Alexa/Fiend stuff: when the silliness interferes with someone else's story, I'll have an issue with it. But the Zombie silliness didn't hurt anyone, it was arguably fun in the moment, and the rest of the show was well received.

Roman Reigns - even if Smackdown has weak areas in other stories, the Roman Reigns angle since SummerSlam last year has been excellent. He can make anyone look great, elevate anyone to his level, and can work the mic to sell you on anything he's involved with. They could have Drew Gulak challenge him on Friday, and it could be a main event where Gulak looks incredible, while Roman will be outstanding as the bad guy in the story.
                        He's also demonstrating how little champions need to wrestle on TV. AEW does this well too, but I feel the best wrestling isn't about the champions defending regularly. It's about stories building up to the rare time champions wrestle. There's no comparison to how fresh and interesting Smackdown is, and Raw with the constant matches with all 3 of the main event players in last night's show.

Feel Good Inc. - It's hard to deny how WWE executed the feel good moment of the Mysterios winning the tag titles. It certainly wasn't perfect, as the lack of fans is a huge gaping hole in the emotion, and that's another division with lots of matches among only 4 teams. But the Dirty Dawgs played their roles well as veteran bullies, and the new champions is a fresh coat of paint on a shallow division.

Comment

Raw tonight was very good. Loved Charlotte VS Asuka, as it looked sloppy but real. COACH, were they calling it in the ring, you think? Those 2 are magic.

This lumberjack match was really solid.
                          Kofi getting in the main event mix is interesting.
                          Sheamus VS Ricochet was great midcard action, and perfect use of both men.

Raw wasn't bland (with exception of the first hour)... I'm impressed.
                          ​​​​

Comment

I watched a few NXT tag matches from earlier this year and was super impressed with Wes Lee (I think) of MSK, formerly known as Dezmond Xavier. He's been good for a while but he was HOT in the matches I watched, I could see a possibility for a big star in him.

Comment

Working...
                            X