Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oliver
    replied
    I wouldn't be at all surprised if they mothballed NXT UK and let most of the talent specifically signed to be on that show go.

Given Braun being let go I don't think it's necessarily as clear cut as 'x isn't doing anything, they might be likely to go', either. I wouldn't be surprised if WWE decided to let someone like Bray go, for example - Alexa's the evolution of the Fiend gimmick, so there's a huge question mark over what's next for him. With reports not so long ago saying that Vince wasn't high on the shape he was in, it wouldn't surprise me at all if his name came up as one of the folks let go if there's another round of cuts.

Leave a comment:

• PEN15v2
    replied
    In a way, it makes sense. We've seen Big Show in WWE. He stayed for over 20 years. And the hardcore fan consensus was he wasn't that good, and turned face/heel every time he changed his underwear. It becomes REALLY difficult to keep someone interesting for a long period of time. No matter how talented someone is, the welcome can be worn out if the presentation repeats over and over again. And with a giant, booking/creative has limitations. Especially in an era where no one is built up with several months of squashing jobbers like we once saw before the Monday Night Wars (AEW has Dark and such, but so far no one has been built up, and a giant likely will bypass these steps).

I've read that with Omos, Azeez, and Shanky, along with Mace, T-Bar, Keith Lee with others, Braun's uniqueness wasn't worth the Ted DiBiase salary. It's a lot like the territory days, where a giant would come in, be dominant, and then put over whoever the promotion wanted, and then left to go elsewhere and repeat. Braun being there for 6-7 years is honestly not bad. And if he does go to Impact or AEW, run there for 2-3 years, his return to WWE could be a reboot.

And I hope this pattenr continues. It's rough to look at now because we are so used to WWE being the only game in town. But much like Christian was able to go to TNA, and then come back to WWECW and be more valuable from that time off, this is what all released stars should aim for. It's also the way the whole business, not just WWE, should be aiming for. The Elite of AEW likely won't go to WWE, but Moxley, Miro, Darby Allin, Ethan Page, Jungle Boy, MJF, Hobbs, Starks, Guevara, and Wardlow are likely all going to get calls from WWE when their AEW contracts are up, and some might go to the E. I know AEW fans think these guys will never want to leave, but I think at least one of them will feel they aren't being used right anymore, or the money will be too tempting, or the dream of WrestleMania...etc. Not all of them, and AEW is treating their performers really well that I doubt any of them would leave today if they got WWE offers. But we'll all see what the wrestling world is like in a couple of years. Things move very quickly.

I've said it from day one, but Aleister Black/Tommy End is a star in the making. barring some sort of personal issue he may have caused, he's the best example to use against WWE when claims that Vince or whoever are too old and don't get it anymore. I don't think that statement is 100% true, but it's really hard to argue that Black had so much untapped potential. He'll likely end up being All Elite, and will be well treated (either pushed to the top right away, or well protected like Miro has been to the point that the trigger can be pulled at any moment and it'll work). He's also the type of talent I would switch the channel for. I don't really enjoy AEW, but his match style would likely help bridge the gap between spotty and no psychology, with a more traditional style. TK will be phoning him first.

The women will pad the AEW or Impact rosters nicely, though I don't know if they will be stand out stars. That said, Easy E thought the same thing about Steve Austin in 95.

Also, it seems like more releases are coming. Here are other names I would say are possible (either because they haven't been used, don't have any direction, or recently lost)
    • Sami Zayn
    • Gulak
    • Tozawa
    • Lucha House Party
    • Ryker
    • Jeff Hardy
    • Jinder Mahal
    • Ali
    • Riddick Moss
    • Shelton Benjamin
    • Ziggler
    • Roode
    • Slapjack
    • Mia Yim
    Last edited by PEN15v2; 06-03-2021, 03:39 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Team Farrell
    replied

Originally posted by PEN15v2 View Post
    To get paid.
    To stay in the business.
    To prove himself.
    To grow with a different style.

When fans think winning a fake title in a fake sport matters more than any other concept of employment, it makes me wonder if they realize they are watching a staged production.
    See, I only half agree with this. Part of the reason I gave up on listening to JR's podcast is that he openly mocks the idea that guys are worried about their push.

But in a traditional environment, and maybe pro wrestling has just moved so crazy far away from that, your spot on the card dictates your pay. Seeing as it's a work, your push goes a long way to dictate your spot on the card. Therefor, your push, in a roundabout way, dictates your pay.

So, on some level, there's something to be said for a run with the belt being factored in. It's really WWE that started the whole "we don't guarantee people these things". Usually, one of the first questions you'd ask a new booking bringing you in to a territory is what they had in mind for, whether that's a top program or a run with the belt or whatever. That's probably not a contractually obligated "guarantee" to have a title run, but if you were going to JCP in '86 you'd probably ask Dusty if he was planning on run on top with him, or a run with Flair and the belt, or something else.

Again, it's not a "guarantee", but there's something to be said for wanting to win the big belt.

I guess in the era of guaranteed top dollar contracts, Braun could go in and demand a high six figure payday and then not care about how he's being booked because he's getting paid either way.

Braun is in a tough spot. He should be an attraction. He should be doing those crazy feats of strength that WWE had him doing which got him over, and crushing job guys. But eventually he has to have a match. In AEW, he's 100-lbs bigger than even Lance Archer. He would literally be Andre in that company. You have a program with Archer, maybe another match with Big Show, he could possibly do some stuff with Miro (who, again, he's almost a foot taller and 90-lbs heavier than) and then.... Cody? Is he going to be able to do an Omega match? Because we saw with Swan that Omega is going to try to do his match, no matter who it's with. Are you going to try and put him in there with Darby Allin?

If he can get the money, I say take the money. But he's in a business where guys like him are so few and far between. 15-20 years ago, he'd be set. He's about the same size as Giant Bernard was in his prime. He could have a hell of a run in Japan, and then be an attraction for AEW, Impact, ROH, etc. Today? Like Cold said, he'd be expected to do 40 minute matches as a top guy in New Japan, and on top of that Great-O-Khan is a "monster" there, six inches and 150-lbs smaller than Braun. Bad Luck Fale is their Big Show, and as Braun is billed he'd stand a head taller than Fale.

Now, Bad Luck Fale and Braun Strowman tearing up the NJPW heavyweight tag scene would be something I'd buy in to completely and might try to will into existence like I tried with Brock vs Sheamus.

But we've finally reached a point in pro wrestling where you can be too big to fit in in most companies. I need a drink.
    Last edited by Team Farrell; 06-03-2021, 12:44 PM.

Leave a comment:

• PEN15v2
    replied
    I wouldn't be as strict as you are Oliver. I think anyone who is able to make a living in Hollywood is a success, so I would have a longer list than 4.

But, the point is still that none of this is a reason why Braun should only sign with a guaranteed title run. That's a very outdated philosophy, and AEW is the perfect promotion to take a stand and refuse to operate that way.

Leave a comment:

• Oliver
    replied
    I'm not sure AEW's audience of about 800,000/900,000 a week is really going to be namemaking for basically anybody, whether they have the major title round their waist or not.

Also listing a bunch of people who have been in movies which were produced by WWE's own in house film studio and nothing more except for one or two odd minor roles at most kind of negates your point. Kane, for example. I don't see AEW establishing their own in house movie studio any time soon. They might be able to beg to get someone a role in Snowpiercer, I guess.

There's only four people that I can immediately think of who can be said to have had significant non-WWE film careers - Piper, Rock, Cena, and Batista. There's an argument for Hogan, I guess, but he (and Andre) were both in relatively small roles in relatively few films.

Leave a comment:

• Powder
    replied
    The AEW title has not had to opportunity to make someone yet.

AND, who knows if/when the AEW World Title will lead to roles. Jericho and Moxley already had them from their name in the WWE. Omega is NOT a movie star. He simply does not have those 'movie star looks' to garner roles. But MJF, Page, Jungle Boy, Darby, Sammy, Ricky Starks, and Wardlow, to name a few, are some who are currently in AEW, that if/when they win the World Title could all be pushed to the moon and get outside of AEW offers.

I also forgot to mention Cody, Big Show, Ambrose and Reigns.

What roles have those lower tier guys had? Anything of note? Nothing is perfect, and no answer has a simple explanation but the top guys get the most adulation.

And we are still in the pandemic where Hollywood shut it doors for a while. But time will tell with AEW and their top title. Braun could make it as relevant as Jericho and/or Moxley did. Omega as we both agree plays a wrestler, not IS a wrestler and he is not a sought after by Hollywood.

Last edited by Powder; 06-03-2021, 10:32 AM.

Leave a comment:

• PEN15v2
    replied
    This is an example of you going off the rails and long winded, but without saying anything relevant. The AEW title has not led anyone to Hollywood, but that's the title you're suggesting Braun gets a contract guaranteeing a run with. If the sole reason he would sign with AEW is to get the title, then he's not worth signing to any contract. It's a title that has no value to him at this time, and he's not a value to the title for AEW. He's valuable to the roster and for marketing, and perhaps down the line as champion.

By mentioning the lower tier guys, it proves the point that the title isn't needed to get to Hollywood.

Leave a comment:

• Powder
    replied
    However that fake title, especially in the WWE leads to talk show appearances, high potential for endorsement deals, potential movie/TV roles and a lot of additional money beyond said contract.

So that fake title in that staged production can definitely lead to a shit load more money and exposure.

Let's just take a look at some of those people who made some of that coveted Hollywood money.
    Hogan
    Jesse Ventura
    Macho
    Piper
    Andre
    Sgt. Slaughter
    Flair
    Kevin Nash
    Rock
    Austin
    Terry Funk
    Kane
    HHH
    Cena
    Batista
    Goldberg
    Big Show
    Edge
    Miz
    Jericho
    Sasha

The some lower tier guys
    Brodus Clay
    Wade Barrett
    Nathan Jones
    Ernest Miller

And most of these guys were all a fake champion in a staged production but their title reigns played a huge part in them getting the notoriety and leading to them getting the roles.

being the centerpiece of any TV, expecially one with a national TV contract, like WWE and AEW, with a huge promotion team behind it, open doors for you. All wrestling is a TV show, we know that, but the lead role is the lead role.
    Last edited by Powder; 06-03-2021, 10:08 AM.

Leave a comment:

• PEN15v2
    replied
    Originally posted by Powder View Post
    I know, but why would Braun go to AEW if he is NOT going to get at least a World Title run?
    To get paid.
    To stay in the business.
    To prove himself.
    To grow with a different style.

When fans think winning a fake title in a fake sport matters more than any other concept of employment, it makes me wonder if they realize they are watching a staged production.

Leave a comment:

• Powder
    replied
    True, but Braun has something that no one can teach. And what he did learn, he is pretty good. He is a well above average in ring worker, he is well above average on the mic. He does not set the world on fire with his promos, but he is good to very good.

And his size. He is a huge (pun intended) asset to any company. Maybe not the future, but he could definitely be the present.

Leave a comment:

• Oliver
    replied
    Braun is not in a position to expect that he should be world champion in any promotion, though. He's not a once in a generation talent, and being frank about it he doesn't have the cache to make such a demand. He isn't someone that WWE built themselves around, and his one spell as a top champion in WWE had next to nothing of note happen in it (other than the laughable 'Wyatt Swamp Fight' thing).

Leave a comment:

• Powder
    replied
    I know, but why would Braun go to AEW if he is NOT going to get at least a World Title run? Unless they open the bank up and pay him very well.

Leave a comment:

• Oliver
    replied
    I don't think he'll get any assurances of those kind anywhere, especially not somewhere like AEW.

It's been said here already, but Riott and Black are the two that I would expect AEW to look at as 'no brainers' when it comes to moving for. They both immediately have that 'they've been misused in the WWE but here we can make them stars!' thing which AEW and their fanbase love, and both could come in and immediately find themselves with high card roles, especially Riott in the women's division.

Leave a comment:

• Powder
    replied
    I absolutely cannot see Braun going back to Strongman for a variety of reasons:
    • His age. At 37 he is basically past his peak years for strongman. Most of the competitors peak around 25-34.
    • He would have to train for almost 2 years to get back into any sort of competitive strongman shape. Braun is strong, but not strongman strong anymore.
    • Braun just got himself into tremendous shape, and would have to put back on 60-100lbs and I doubt that at 37 he would want to.
    I could see Braun going for a commentary role. The WWE taught him how to work with a camera and to be comfortable using a mic. So he could be the 'color guy' for strongman. In every sport/wrestling commentary team, the color guy is usually a previous competitor who knows the ins and outs. Braun could do that.

BUT, with that said, Braun will stay in wresting. Where? I have no idea. I guessed AEW, but if I were him, prior to signing a contract I would have some assurances written into it. Like title runs, etc. Braun is unique among wrestlers, just by his size and strength. There are NOT many people of his stature in wrestling. Yes, there are other guys who are 6'5"+ and 265-285lbs+, but there are not many (if any at all) that are 6'8", 350ish lbs that are as athletic as him. So that makes him a valuable commodity, but as I said, prior to signing anywhere, I would have some assurances/guarantees written into my contract.

Leave a comment:

• Oliver
    replied
    I could see Braun going back to doing strongman competitions.

To be honest, I kind of feel like AEW could use someone like Braun who doesn't fit into their 'style' of wrestler and matches. But I don't think Braun in AEW is a main eventer, necessarily.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X