WWE releases (2021 edition)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WWE releases (2021 edition)

Massive WWE cuts today, one year to the day since the last cuts.

Samoa Joe
    IIconics
    Mickie James
    Chelsea Green
    Tucker
    Kalisto
    Bo Dallas
    Wesley Blake.

More to come? We'll see

They are giving away some talent then can be Grade A anywhere in the world.

Meanwhile Ryker and Velveteen still got jobs. LOL.
    sigpic

Comment

Not one of those people has a fraction of the charisma Velveteen Dream has.

Nor could any of them be 'Grade A' talent anywhere in the world.

Comment

I do not want Velveteen Dream on my screen again. I do not care how charismatic he is.

And of all of the talent released today, Joe is the one that I think the WWE made a mistake with. While I get that he might not ever wrestle for them again, he was gold on commentary. If they gave him a bit more freedom, he could have had a long career as a color guy, the likes of Jesse the Body and Heenan, and Lawler in the 90s and 2000s before he became a parody of himself.

Comment

Not one of those people is into children like Dream either. If charisma is more important to you cool I guess.

Samoa Joe
          IIconics
          Chelsea Green

All 3 of them can be main draws in most of the companies around now. One of the IIconice as a whole but as a team? Easily could be the top tag team in any company with a Women's division.
          Last edited by CoLD; 04-15-2021, 05:28 PM.
          sigpic

Comment

I would say a healthy Samoa Joe could be Grade A, and he was a great announcer so could be hired in that role anywhere. He could be amazing in the MVP role as well, and I'm disappointed they didn't go that route. Perhaps he didn't want to. My guess is Joe's release was mutual, because he was so recently involved in special interviews and co-promotions with some truck company. It seemed like he was being treated like a big deal, so I suspect he just wasn't happy and was granted his release. Pure theory.

Agreed on the rest being easy to cut. I've loved Billie Kay, so that bothers me, and Mickie was great on the Takeover kickoff in the booth so felt like she had a future in that role.

But all these talents can be hired anywhere, and it won't be a blip on the radar for WWE. Cult was saying how Chelsea Green was truly special, but with the stacked WWE women's roster, she was easily replaceable and not unique or talented enough.

All of this confirms a few NXT graduates are moving up to the main roster though. In fact, I'm wondering if Wade Barrett ends up in a Red or Blue booth soon.

Originally posted by CoLD View Post
            Samoa Joe
            IIconics
            Chelsea Green

All 3 of them can be main draws in most of the companies around now. One of the IIconice as a whole but as a team? Easily could be the top tag team in any company with a Women's division.
            That speaks more to how shallow the women's rosters are elsewhere more than of their talent.
            Last edited by PEN15v2; 04-15-2021, 05:32 PM.

Comment

I've said from the first time I saw them, the Iconics were bad in the ring. Not like, below average but aggressively bad. Their timing was always off, their shit was awkward, and they're just not good. Their schtick is slightly amusing -- which I'm realizing more and more is good enough for fans in 2021 to rally behind you -- but they were the worst two in-ring wrestlers I'd ever seen on national television before Big Swole and then Maki Itoh, and eventually the bell has to ring.

I was saying earlier to Cult as well that I've seen a lot of Chelsea Green and never once been impressed. Everything I've ever seen has screamed average girl wrestler. Average skill, average look, average promo. There's a spot for her on a roster, but I don't think it's at the top of it and with a history of injuries, I assume the folks in WWE saw that, too. She knows when and how to hit her poses, which makes her some off as very polished, but she's far surpassed by the other girls on top of all three WWE rosters. She did a tag with Charlotte vs Io and Rhea a year or so ago...and there was one girl whose timing was a half step off and didn't fit athletically. The other three are still with the company.

The only one released that could/should be a top guy is Joe. I suspect WWE had no intention of returning him to the ring, despite him recently publicly pushing the idea.

I hope these folks all land on their feet. Chelsea will go to AEW or Impact, Joe probably to AEW. Iconics maybe to Impact where they have a Women's Tag division that lacks teams and their product it...ugh anyway.
              Last edited by Team Farrell; 04-15-2021, 06:07 PM.
              https://youtu.be/wue-ZFnEta8
              My latest (and hopefully last) Covid-Era show

Comment

I will be the first to admit all 3 Women lack in the ring. Its their personalities that can get them the job tho. Granted Billie only gets so far but as long as she is with Peyton they can get over in any company with their shtick. AEWS Women division for example is missing what all 3 have to offer. They all ready have solid wrestlers they can fall back on. What they need is more Women who stand out due to having non in ring related talent that they are good at.
                sigpic

Comment

Mojo Rawley has been released
                  sigpic

Comment

I am all broken up about that one....

Comment

I'm probably the second biggest IIconics fan on here after T.O., but even I've got to hold my hands up and say their release isn't a surprise, nor were they (yet?) ready to get to the top of the WWE women's division. That said, you look at the women's tag division and you kind of have to wonder why WWE would a) split up what I think is only one of two non-thrown together tag teams, and b) then not have any idea of what to do with them as singles wrestlers.

Joe a couple of years ago I would have said could go elsewhere and be a really big deal. Now, I'm not convinced. He'll do fine elsewhere, though.

Of all of the releases, Chelsea Green is the one I was surprised by - they put her on the main roster pretty quickly and she didn't seem put of place. The injury obviously hurt her impact, but it felt like they had decent plans for her or at the very least high hopes.

But yeah, I don't think any of them all go an make an enormous impact elsewhere.

Comment

So rumour is possibly more releases today, in the NXT realm. I could think of a few that might be in danger, but the main name that comes to mind is Vanessa Borne, who has dropped off the radar completely. Thoughts on who could go?

Comment

I would guess there's a fair PC folks that could be getting nervous if so. Tino Sabbatelli was a weird re-signing anyway, I can't see them getting anywhere currently. Tyler Rust hasn't shown anything to suggest he's going to get anywhere. Arturo Ruas, Kona Reeves, Jake Atlas.

I really wouldn't be surprised to see Ever-Rise get released.

Comment

And yet, Vince is scared of AEW... online fans are ruining wrestling.

The fact is that WWE needs to reevaluate their system now that NXT is a TV and 3rd brand. The developmental part is still part of it, but it's obviously decreased tremendously over the years. And without the ability to run local house shows like they were doing before the pandemic, there are a LOT of a talent who are getting paid to train and nothing else. And without live gates for any of the shows but WrestleMania (at a reduced attendance but not reduced production cost) WWE is likely bleeding money in certain departments.

The idea that online fans believe WWE should keep these people hired at a loss just because it's WWE is the most illogical thing I've seen online since... well since this morning when I saw reddit's political headlines. People today just have no concept of how the world around them works, and only thinks about their small world.

It's weird to feel like the person defending WWE, but it's not so much that. It's about understanding the difficulties in running a business. It's so easy to generalize that the people complaining have not had any responsibility in their jobs before, and don't comprehend the balancing of tasks involving money management.

All the people released so far had positives and potential. All of them could have been used "better." But what we see on-screen is only a part of what an employee/contractor offers to an employer. None of us know if these talents were Ivelisse behind the scenes, and just difficult to deal with. And for everyone who is being passed up on, WWE has an overwhelming depth of talent to choose from. The Iconics had so much personality and charisma. But do you think it would be that hard to groom 2 unknown talents who've been in the PC, and debut them as a tag team to find similar success and potential. I think Billie Kay demonstrates amazing comedic timing, and a impressive ability to make herself the joke. If Kevin Dunn was the reason she was let go, then I disagree with him. But, we've all met people who are the funniest person at a party. It doesn't mean they'd be the next Steve Martin or Chris Rock. Billie had limitations, and her positive skills are likely not hard to replicate.
                            Of course, the Iconics will be hired as a team (likely by AEW), and they'll (likely) be given the gimmick to be frustrated former WWE workers who want to prove they are better than they were treated, and (AEW) fans will gobble it up and call Vince old ad senile and stupid and blahblahblah. But As has been discussed about Peyton's passionate promo, it's not hard to have a promo or gimmick of "I deserve more because I'm better than I'm given opportunities to show." Awesome. Fascinating. Riveting. Now it's like 80% of the released talent, and you've got to stand out from that pack. If they couldn't do it on the shallow main roster, how will they fare elsewhere? We shall see.

I'm fully aware that Steve Austin was let go from WCW with the same attitude I'm showing. But other than Samoa Joe, none of these workers are on Austin's level in the ring. It's possible they have the charisma and haven't had the chance to show it, like Steve did. But we knew Austin could wrestle. I can't say that for 90% of these people.

Comment

I personally think they could cut a good 40 more guys and still be good to be honest. I also dont have an issue with them letting people go. The only thing i think is shitty about it is them using budget cuts as an excuse after 2 straight years of record profits. Even if thats the reason give the talent another reason as to why they are being let go because it just comes off gross.

As far as Developmental goes I'm pretty sure its a matter of time before they give Gabe his own show in the old NXT time slot sooner then later. NXT really isnt developmental anymore so why keep pretending it is? I doubt they call it EVOLVE but who knows. They do own the name now.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X