Survivor Series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Survivor Series

On paper, the male Survivor Series teams are so unbalanced...where RAW has the advantage.

RAW: Strowman, Sheamus, Keith Lee, Riddle and AJ

SD: KO, Rollins, Jey Uso, Corbin, and ....?

There is almost no situation where Strowman eats a pin to get eliminated, my only thoughts on how he would get eliminated are:

Somehow gets DQ'd
    Somehow gets counted out
    Entire or some of the SD team hits their finishers in succession on him, and collectively pin him - like Uso hits a Superkick into a KO Stunner, then Rollins curb stomps him and they all pin him.
    The RAW team get frustrated with Strowman and they hit their finishers on him, and serve him up to SD.

Other than something like that, I do not see Vince allowing Strowman to get pinned by anyone not named Reigns, Drew or Orton cleanly.

In the Woman's match, I think we all agree that Bianca Belair will run the table and be the focus of the match.

My predictions for the rest of the card:

Lashley beats Zayn
    Asuka beats Banks due to Carmella interfering
    Reigns beats Drew due to distraction from Orton or Miz or both
    Street Profits beat New Day - New Day can absorb the loss, Profits also could use the win

So my predictions come out to a 3-3 tie:

RAW wins the Men's match, the Woman's title match, and the Midcard title match.
    SD wins the Women's match, the Men's title match, and the Tag Team match.
    Last edited by Powder; 11-20-2020, 09:27 AM.

I'm not sure if it's just because it's becoming Bragging Rights now, but Survivor Series has left me pretty cold over the recent years. As a result, I'm not super hyped for this - I'm actually probably more interested in whatever they do for the 30 years of Taker celebration thing than I am in any of the matches, to be honest.

Comment

In regards to Taker: I think that there will be cameos from his friends throughout the show, and multiple current WWE personnel offering their thoughts and respect, and the show will close with Taker coming out his last ENTRANCE, talks on the mic to say goodbye, and then the locker room, and friends and family come out for a standing ovation.

I believe that the surviving members of the BSK including Savio, the Godwins, Godfather, and Rikishi will all be there, and also Big Show, Flair, HHH, HBK, and Kane. it also wouldn't surprise me to see Shane, Stephanie, AND Linda and Vince come out to pay their respects. Taker, after all, is Vince's greatest talent/character creation.

Comment

I can actually see Asuka/Banks going to a draw so that the scores are level going into the main event, which I presume to be Reigns/McIntyre.

As for The Undertaker, it wouldn't surprise me if RETRIBUTION try and attack him only to be thwarted by 'Taker and perhaps a couple of the other special guests.

Comment

Originally posted by Powder View Post
          In regards to Taker: I think that there will be cameos from his friends throughout the show, and multiple current WWE personnel offering their thoughts and respect, and the show will close with Taker coming out his last ENTRANCE, talks on the mic to say goodbye, and then the locker room, and friends and family come out for a standing ovation.

I believe that the surviving members of the BSK including Savio, the Godwins, Godfather, and Rikishi will all be there, and also Big Show, Flair, HHH, HBK, and Kane. it also wouldn't surprise me to see Shane, Stephanie, AND Linda and Vince come out to pay their respects. Taker, after all, is Vince's greatest talent/character creation.
          See, I'm really not keen on that, personally. I think Taker deserves a send off, but in all honesty I think doing a load of that stuff at the end of a PPV, which is probably something like fifteen minutes just to do entrance, promo, and goodbye, not to mention the career highlights during the show.

I kind of want them to pivot it into one last in ring hurrah, if I'm being honest. Like, do that, but then before the promo starts have Roman spear him out of his boots to build to one last Mania match or something. I doubt that would happen, to be honest - I think that Taker is actually done now - but I don't want to see them turn an entire 3 hour show into being 25% Taker focussed content, especially as they've done the documentary on the Network, the 30 days of the Deadman stuff...I mean, that's all there.

I might be cool on the idea of Survivor Series being Bragging Rights, but I've freezing on the idea of it being a lengthy Undertaker tribute show.

Comment

This is such a weird show. No stakes at all, but some very good match ups. It's very anti-WWE, because aside some issues with quality, they rarely book shows without a story or reason for a match. But none of these matches serve any real purpose, so I can see why Oliver and others (including myself) feel cool towards the show. I'm sure I'll enjoy it, but I'm not sure I'll care about it, if that makes sense.

I've ranted a bit on the podcast about this a few times, but I feel no depth to the brand allegiance concept. The men's Raw SS team for example had 5 men who weren't even on Raw 5 months ago. 4 of them were drafted over in October, and Keith Lee was in NXT until this summer. Other than AJ talking about putting this win on his resume, there's absolutely no reason for all 9 other man in this match to care about winning or their brand. It's very stupid.

Comment

That's why I think Street Prophets should turn heel on Big E on Smackdown tonight. Have them beat the hell out of E and make it personal with New Day.

Comment

Solid show, and they did a better job story-wise than I expected. I just wish they executed these nice touches weeks ahead of the show. Main example was how they promoted the New Day vs Street Profits match as a real test for the SP they were going against the best team of the last decade. That detail would have been great, really get us to care about if the Profits can cement themselves as a solid premiere tag team.

I don't know if the Lana story should have been the focus of the women's match, but they still did a great job telling that story, along with building up Bianca and the Riott Squad.

Comment

I enjoyed the entire show and thought everyone put on some really good matches within the whole "brand supremacy" thing that's lost its luster over the years. Everything was put together quite well, a lot of talent got showcased in new ways, and you can't really complain about who won and who lost. When the WWE doesn't spend too much time on the goofy storytelling aspect these days, they can put out some really good wrestling events.

I do have to say that I have mixed feelings about the Undertaker farewell segment. That was a long 30+ minutes for not a whole lot. Bringing out all the legends felt rather pointless - why spend so much time bringing them out just to stand in the ring for a bit and disappear before the video segment was done? Poor Kane, going out there in full gear for literally a minute and nothing else. Also, I can never get over how aged and weathered Vince McMahon looks these days.

The video package covering his career was great, as was his entrance which will never be anything short of awesome in my book. The Paul Bearer hologram was a really nice touch at the end too. It was a nice thing to do for him but it probably could have been done in less than half the time without any lost moments.

Comment

You know I think there's a few contenders that could be named here, but is Asuka vs Sasha Banks the best in ring women's combination WWE has? I don't remember them ever having an objectively bad match. Last night wasn't their best, but it was probably my favourite match on the show.

Comment

I enjoyed the show overall but couldn't help but feel afterwards that it was just a complete waste of time. The brand supremacy thing can still be done but I feel they should do it at some point over the summer, so it's nowhere near the draft, and you can even bring back the Bragging Rights name. Then Survivor Series can be used like it used to be with a couple of 5-on-5 matches, which can have faces from Raw & Smackdown team up to face heels if you want, as well as a couple of big title matches.

Comment

I liked the results of the PPV for the title matches, and that I have no problem with the WWE's booking choices, for once.
                        • The Street Profits needed the win to establish them as a major tag team, and the loss does not hurt the New Day in any way.
                        • Sasha getting the win over Asuka does the same. She needed the win to establish her as champion, since it was well documented that she only had 1 successful title defense.
                        • Lashley should have squashed Sammy as he basically did.
                        • And Reigns could not lose last night, as it would have hurt the character. He should be continued to be booked so strong that whenever some one finally beats, him, it is major.
                        • Drew taking the loss in the manner he did, with a low blow and an assist from Jey makes Drew look really strong in defeat.

In the Men's and Women's match, I like how it was handled.

For the men, RAW clearly had the stronger team, and the only 2 who could have eaten a pin w/o any real consequences would be Sheamus and AJ, but it appears that Sheamus will be feuding with Drew shortly so he couldn't lose either.

For the Women's team, the right outcome happened. Shayna, Nia, and Bianca were all protected, and the Riott Squad were elevated in the loss.
                        Last edited by Powder; 11-23-2020, 09:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Cook View Post
                          I enjoyed the show overall but couldn't help but feel afterwards that it was just a complete waste of time.
                          I think this goes back to my point up the page - there's no real purpose to Survivor Series existing when it's brand vs brand, because it basically becomes a stand-alone show. Next to nothing of what happened last night will actually matter on Raw or Smackdown this week, except (probably) Lana being the soul survivor getting mentioned a few times, and Rollins sacrificing himself. You might say things matter in an overarching sense, I guess - Lashley seems to be being set up for something bigger, I can hardly remember him losing this year except for at Backlash against Drew and even then he was protected through bungled Lana interference, so him squashing Sami is a part of that story, but so small as to not really matter overall as it could be achieved on any Raw with any opponent.

And to Powder's points above, they might well have the 'right' winners and got there in the 'right' way, but realistically I read that and am like 'so what?'. I don't feel like they even did anything to line up the next steps of, say, Sasha's run opposite Carmella.

Overall, it was fine, but not especially noteworthy in anyway. Like I said, by tomorrow it will have been forgotten about, and by TLC the results won't even matter.

By the way, on Taker - you don't see this sort of thing everyday on a British newspaper site: https://www.theguardian.com/culture/...ake-what-we-do

Comment

It's very odd how the single PPV build around SD vs Raw told better stories about the actual brands singularly. Meaning, I don't care that Raw won 4 out of 3 matches, but I do care what the 5 men who won the clean sweep are going to do, and I care about what's next for Lana with Nia/Shayna (to a lesser extent).

The brand thing really needs a revamp. I dunno if it's just my gut feeling, but I think so much of the last 2 months was last minute booking on the fly. I think the draft wasn't planned for, I think the rush to the brand rivalries was poorly done, and I doubt they have a great idea for the next few weeks to TLC. They made the most of it in some ways (Street Profits really benefited from that win, Lashley winning proved that Hurt Business are beyond wasted without a main event program a this time, Bianca got a great showcase...etc.), but really it does feel like it meant nothing overall.

Stakes are what was needed. The winning brand gets number 30 in the Rumble, something like that. Powder once suggested switching the timing of the draft until after SSeries, and the winning brand get the top draft pick. There's just so much between SummerSlam and Survivor Series that feels meaningless overall, and slapped together without planning (Orton winning the title, dropping it back to Drew 3 weeks later, for example).

Anyways, very good show overall, but forgettable barring the match quality of the tag, women's and men's title vs title matches.

As for Undertaker's goodbye, I think a missing piece is that we've seen so many emotional goodbyes recently. Ric Flair, HBK, Edge and Daniel Bryan for example. But none of them had WWE career like Undertaker did (Flair with WCW/NWA definitely had a bigger one, but I suspect 2008 WWE fans weren't as involved in wrestling history enough to understand his value in the 80s, as much as fans today who view Taker from 1990-2020). In a way, the audience is possibly tapped out emotionally from wrestling retirements, the state of the world in 2020, not having a live audience... so it fell flat for many (myself included). It's also a career that doesn't have the emotional bond that the other men mentioned would have had. His character was based on being without emotion, while so much of the WWF/WWE careers of Michaels, Edge and Bryan were about their emotional rollercoasters to get to the top.

It's a moment that either deserved to be on PPV like it was, or a full TV show devoted to it. I think they made the right call, though the ratings for a month advertised Raw with his retirement would have done amazing numbers (though I think the quality of the show would have stunk and therefore would have floundered overall - like Austin 3:16 day).

Comment

To be fair, Austin 3:16 day floundered because it is MY day as 3/16 is MY birthday and Austin knows to keep it down.

Comment

Working...
                              X