Cody Rhodes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Prime Time View Post
    Maybe they could channel Khabib in the way they present him, give him a legitimate fighter vibe.
    I don't believe that AEW could pull that off.
    https://youtu.be/wue-ZFnEta8
    My latest (and hopefully last) Covid-Era show

Comment

No. Perhaps not.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Comment

Originally posted by Team Farrell View Post
        I don't believe that AEW could pull that off.
        I think AEW could, but because the fans are shown to be ultra forgiving. They'll stay quiet if there's nothing of value to an idea, but they'll cheer Rusev simply because he's not in WWE anymore.

Comment

That's the reason why when I'm thinking about whether it'll work, I don't really think about how their superfans will react to it. Because it looks like trying to gauge how funny a comic is if they only play to crowds full of stoned people.

Comment

I don't know how the fans would react to it, I just don't think that the booking arm of AEW could pull off a serious fighter type character.

Pac got to kick Orange Cassidy in the face. But what happens when Rusev is booked in a match involving Best Friends or Dark Order? Even Tully had to play along and be a part of the joke. Their World Champion was eating roll-ups by a pre-teen. MJF, in the middle of his big heat run, got thrown into the pool like a brone.

I don't trust for a second that they could book a charismatic guy like Rusev as a legitimate athletic beast without going goofy "ha ha" with him.

Comment

Prime, fair comparison, but that's AEW audience.

Speaking of comedians, I was in the audience for Jim Gaffigan's recent taping on Friday. My fiance indicated that my laugh will definitely be heard when it's released. I don't think she was complimenting me either...

COACH, the AEW humor really is putrid.
              Last edited by PEN15v2; 02-10-2020, 03:59 PM.

Comment

I guess I'm not seeing why they wouldn't be able to pull it off. We've seen grappler and fighter types coexisting on cards with lighter characters for quite a while now in the independent promotions where a lot of AEW guys emerged from. The dynamic isn't exactly the same in AEW, granted, but Coach himself referenced PAC, who has been a pretty straightforward ass kicker despite running across the likes of Orange Cassidy. Sometimes heels get clowned in silly spots, Ric Flair was pantsed on a nightly basis, so MJF getting tossed in a pool being a problem doesn't hold much water with me (ha, ha). I look at a guy like Moxley for comparison and I'm pretty sure neither AEW nor the fans would struggle or be thrown off if he was portrayed as a fighter type.

Or maybe I'm just an ultra forgiving stoned superfan.

The '92 Rumble! The Brain's Finest Hour!

Comment

Yeah, I don't disagree. I guess what I mean to say is that I'm already implicitly thinking 'could this grow the audience' because clearing the low bar set by the superfans is hardly challenging.

And that post above sums up why I'm glad I've never tried to watch a whole show of theirs.

Edit: Coach's post above, not Mizzie's which was simultaneously posted with mine.

As for Flair, I'm willing to bet if he did lose the pants, it wasn't on TV when he was trying to build heat for a major angle. And if there is a weird example that you can find, that'd be shit too.

Comment

Originally posted by Prime Time View Post
                    As for Flair, I'm willing to bet if he did lose the pants, it wasn't on TV when he was trying to build heat for a major angle. And if there is a weird example that you can find, that'd be shit too.
                    See, this cannot be overstated.

MJF is an over heel in the middle of a huge heat angle, and for chuckles on a boat he was made to look like a fool. They circumvented the "you can't touch me" stipulation for no real reason other than to make MJF show ass.

He still has his heat, but if MJF hadn't been made to look foolish at any point before Cody gets his big win, it feels that much bigger.

Flair got his trunks pulled down, but Dusty's friends didn't do it to him on TV the week after the Horsemen broke Dusty's arm.

Heels have to show ass (no pun), but there's a time and a place. The whipping was a great heat spot, but I'd also consider it Cody's hope spot in the angle (because he refused to give up). They didn't need the pool spot and it only takes away from a strong heel.

Comment

Y'know, it's just occurred to me that video of him going in to the pool reached me on twitter. The whipping didn't. In fact, very few of the things that might appeal to me that I hear about appear in my timeline, but the bad comedy seems to cut through most Thursdays, no matter how much I try to avoid it.

Comment

So, a though I've had recently - is Cody a man out of time? By which I don't mean his race is run and he should no longer wrestle. I mean is he just a bit old school? I think about the style of his recent matches, the praise he gets and the terms around that, and even down to the way his feuds are built and stories are told and it feels completely atypical of this era - but I think about 30-35 years ago this would have just been really standard stuff, you know?

And his matches - I'm not expecting Cody to start throwing destroyers with reckless abandon as other 'modern' wrestlers seem to want to do (and you can use any big spotty move in the place of destroyers). Outside of that dive he took against Jericho, I can't remember him doing anything that really sits in that 'big spot' category in his AEW matches. But he is going to tell a story in the ring - that in itself feels against the grain in modern wrestling, but very much a throwback.

I wonder if this was just always the case with Cody, which is why his stuff didn't work in WWE as well. Looking back at his best WWE matches, they're the ones where he told a simple story really well - they're not renowned for their high profile spots, but for their careful storytelling. Specifically thinking about the match he had with Goldust at...Fast Lane, was it? I want to say 2015. That thing had this great story running through it, and yet had a crowd that just didn't get it because the match had no flash to it.

Comment

Yeah, I don't think you'll get a lot of argument about that. He knows what works and does it, which is why his stuff is some of the only stuff on that show that gets positive reactions more widely rather than just in the committed hardcore fans.

Comment

Agree to disagree on the pool thing, I suppose. The way I see it is MJF betrayed Cody and set up a lot of elaborate stipulations to twist him in knots before getting his hands on him, Cody outsmarted him and used his friends to embarrass MJF, giving MJF a chance to create a branch feud with Cody’s allies and giving him more motivation to get vicious in the build up, as we saw in the 10 lashes segment. I get what you guys are saying, you don’t want a big heel to look too weak when building up to a big match, but it was a momentary embarrassment and a feel good moment for Cody in a feud that so far hasn’t gone very well for him. Maybe you save MJF’s first taste of comeuppance, maybe you cash it in during the build as a tease for more. I think there’s plenty of value and precedent for both.

To Ollie’s point, it’s very much my hope that Cody’s style will in the end not be seen as a throwback but rather a focal point in the style of wrestling shifting in the coming decade. The 2010s became so incredibly saturated with super-workrate style matches that I think fans are really hungry for the kind of matches Cody is bringing to the table. That’s my hope anyway, compare the way fans reacted to Cody/Goldust in 2015 compared to Cody/Dustin in 2019 and it’s night and day, and it’s not like the latter was an athletic masterpiece or anything.

The '92 Rumble! The Brain's Finest Hour!

Comment

Mizfan, you can't compare 2015 to 2019 versions of that feud. Cody is the king of AEW, so anything he does gets priority. In 2015 WWE, he was midcard at best. And it's not because WWE "misused him," but because he was low priority.

I wish WWE would incorporate more Cody style ideas, and I wish AEW did too. His work with Dustin was the highlight of 2019, in my opinion. Best match and likely best angle of the year in any promotion. But a big factor was because it was big fish in smaller pond.

Comment

I agree with Pen, to some extent, in that I think he got given a real focus in pursuing that Dustin match. I also think there's probably a lot of fans of AEW who would quite liked to have seen those two have something extended in WWE, so there was a bit of a thirst for it. I know when they had the Fast Lane match in 2015 it seemed to set them up for something more which then just got merged into something multi-man (ladder match, maybe?) at the Mania after and then was basically dropped. From what I recall at the time there was quite a bit of disappointment around that happening.

Comment

Working...
                                X