Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes to all accounts.

Comment

We'll see if the terms are agreed to! I'm most curious about the whipping one. I think that'd be tricky to pull off as it is on paper, of course Cody can just take it and come out (hopefully) looking strong ala Tommy Dreamer but I'm not sure if it works that way in practice. But perhaps they'll find a way around it. My favorite part of the bit so far is Arn Anderson pushing back as Cody's manager so perhaps we'll see some kind of negotiation, but it's tricky because MJF seems to hold all the cards (assuming someone in power can't just order him to wrestle Cody as a deus ex machina).

The '92 Rumble! The Brain's Finest Hour!

Comment

Brandi poster a picture of Cody's back at least 1 day after, possible from this morning. Looks painful.

Comment

Hell yes it does... though if this is further confirmation that they are killing off the Nightmare Collective and putting Brandi back with Cody, I'm all for it. I can understand that Brandi wants to make her own mark but they work SO well together as an onscreen couple, and Brandi clearly works better as a human and not a weird witch or whatever she was going for.

Comment

Besides, AEW just wrote off Kong, as she is going to film the final season of Glow. So it is possible that Brandi's Collective is gone.

Comment

That'd be great in my book. I didn't even really mind them that much but they weren't really over and they were a source of loads of fan complaints. Much better to kill off the group and use the individual pieces where ever they fit better.

Thinking ahead to Cody vs. MJF... who actually wins that match? I'm leaning towards Cody because after all he's been through in the last several months, he needs a feel good win. But part of me is looking at how hot MJF is, and it makes me wonder if they might surprise everyone with the result.

Comment

I don't think they are writing off the Nightmare Collective, based on that and the two youtube videos of Brandi and her therapist I think they are just taking a new angle.

Still this is the Cody thread so can we speak about the lashes HOLY CRAP THAT WAS A FUCKIN' SEGMENT.

So much drama and built to it and spoke so deeply to both characters and Cody fought his way through it and MJF got more and more frustrated as he saw Cody wouldn't quit - like he would.

Here is my character theory: MJF thinks him and Cody are the same kind of person. He sees Cody with his fancy house, suits, big character and sees himself however the difference is that MJF has to have those things because deep down he doesn't like who he is. He knows he is weak and cowardly so tries to overcome that with his brash exterior. It's why he threw the towel in for Cody, because he would have quit at that point. The lashes showed us and MJF that even though they might look similar Cody is cut from tougher steel. It's why at the start he was gloating, because he thought he'd expose Cody but at the end was furious.

Freakin' great feud and could become something of a mythic segment in the history of AEW.

BTW I think I might turn that character stuff into a column.

Comment

When it comes to the Nightmare Collective, I think if they're smart they're on their way to ending it, if not right away then in the near future. If it's must Mel being managed by Luther, I guess that's fine?

But hell yes, the lashes thing was incredible. Love your breakdown of how MJF is looking at this situation. The idea that he assumed Cody would quit, or not come out in the first place, because he wouldn't do it and he thinks they're the same, there's some real weight to that. Also LOVED MJF earlier in the show saying Cody was trying to make him into a "walk-behinder", a reference to one of my favorite promos of all time, courtesy of course of Dusty Rhodes himself. Which, by the way, was originally in a story involving Arn Anderson, which makes me still wonder how he's going to fit into this at the end of the day.

Comment

I find the true issue with the Nightmare Collective is that there are more non-wrestler than wrestlers in the group. Mel seems to be the only actual fulltime wrestler at this point, with Kong either out or too old to compete regularly, Brandi as the mouthpiece, and Luther as the male muscle (who might be able to go, but we don't seem to know yet). And if Mel is the only full time in the group...she's not much to bank a stable on.

So no matter the other weaknesses, in the end the stories don't matter because there's no in ring direction for 75% of the group.

To make a WWE comparison, The Authority would be the closest version of this, with Steph and HHH as the mouth pieces, but with a rotating in ring guy they stood behind (Orton being the primary option). The difference is that Orton could go, and Hunter did for the big shows. So no matter how big they talked, the audience knew there was backup in action if needed. This Nightmare Collective don't have that aspect yet. Either establish Luther a bit, or let Mel show some talent, or recruit a better and/or bigger name to be the in ring center piece.

Comment

Originally posted by PEN15v2 View Post
                      I find the true issue with the Nightmare Collective is that there are more non-wrestler than wrestlers in the group. Mel seems to be the only actual fulltime wrestler at this point, with Kong either out or too old to compete regularly, Brandi as the mouthpiece, and Luther as the male muscle (who might be able to go, but we don't seem to know yet). And if Mel is the only full time in the group...she's not much to bank a stable on.

So no matter the other weaknesses, in the end the stories don't matter because there's no in ring direction for 75% of the group.

To make a WWE comparison, The Authority would be the closest version of this, with Steph and HHH as the mouth pieces, but with a rotating in ring guy they stood behind (Orton being the primary option). The difference is that Orton could go, and Hunter did for the big shows. So no matter how big they talked, the audience knew there was backup in action if needed. This Nightmare Collective don't have that aspect yet. Either establish Luther a bit, or let Mel show some talent, or recruit a better and/or bigger name to be the in ring center piece.
                      I hear Rusev is unhappy with his current place. A big guy, who can play a monster, also has so much personality, and eventually he turns on the Collective to break away become a face and get a main event title push. He seems like a perfect guy to build a future around.

Comment

If rumors are true and both parties are interested, it could work. I would bet though that Nightmare Collective is aimed for the women's division, so I believe they'd prefer a female wrestler be the person in this place

Comment

I think it'd be worth signing Rusev and testing his ceiling, but I think attaching him to an act that fans already don't like would be a needless anchor around his neck.

I would be very much down for a Rusev/Cody match though.

Comment

I think that if the Nightmare Collective is for the Women's Division, or attaching him to an act that may not be over with the fans is not a good idea, then you have to bring Rusev in as a face, and have him begin guys like Spears, The Butcher and Blade, Wardlow, then in a few months have him challenge Moxley.

We have all talked out this before, but there really isn't anyone in AEW that are the 'big imposing wrestlers'. So if/when Rusev makes his debut, how does he not run through the roster, with everyone except Moxley?

AEW needs size on their roster, who are active wrestlers. Hager and Wardlow have done nothing, and Luchasaurus is just not it.

Besides, what would Rusev be called in AEW or anywhere else for that matter? I'm almost 100% positive that "Rusev" is trademarked by the WWE, so does he go by Miroslav (his given name)?
                            Last edited by Powder; 02-10-2020, 08:28 AM.

Comment

Miroslav actually sounds like a pretty good name to me.

As for his size, I honestly didn't realize he was billed at 300 lbs but regardless I don't think size will really be an issue. Assuming his recent popularity holds up it'll be easy to push him to get a lot of wins based on his size, and when he matches up with the big names there are loads of ways to make the match competitive. Cody is about Shawn Michaels size, for a point of comparison.

Comment

Maybe they could channel Khabib in the way they present him, give him a legitimate fighter vibe.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Comment

Working...
                                X