Cody Rhodes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cody Rhodes

Considering the success of All In, thought it was time the American Nightmare got his own thread. Personally I'm a big fan of Cody, I think his wrestling is underrated and that he can really excel if he has a story/character to latch onto. I also thinking partnering up with Brandi has done him a lot of good, they are a great pairing. I don't think he'll ever be in contention for best worker of all time but he's very capable of having great matches in my book, and you can't overlook what a huge impact he's now had on the wrestling scene.

I also reviewed one of this matches recently for my recommend thread, so wanted to throw that in here too! Funny enough it's from his time in WWE, but I think it speaks a lot to where he's at now too.

Cody Rhodes & Goldust vs. Seth Rollins & Roman Reigns 10/6/13 WWE Battleground

First revisiting the 1-2 punch of Summerslam 2013, and now this to remind me that 2013 actually had a lot of great stuff in WWE! I know I saw this at the time but probably not since. I think if anything I loved it even more now, especially in the shadow of where Cody has gone since. Looking at this and where he is in 2018 it feels obvious, and you could easily forget how much dreck he had to deal with in between. A lot of things about the Authority angle bugged me, but as far as the Rhodes family went they NAILED it. Having Dusty at ringside was huge, obviously, and he is such an incredible presence there. The original Shield had such a unique energy too, it's really hard to recapture all this. And on top of all of it, in 2013 Goldust suddenly came back and I can say, with no exaggeration, that he looked the best out of anyone in terms of the match itself. Like, he just popped up and suddenly was one of the best wrestlers in the world again. Incredible. Everyone played their part of perfection, and thank you to Sam for directing me to revisit it. Truly one of the best matches of the year.

The '92 Rumble! The Brain's Finest Hour!

Also a fan of Cody. All the way back to dashing Cody.. Liked everything else he did, no matter the role he gave it his all even in roles he didn't care for. Also really like that he's never compromised who he is on the indies to be more liked as a wrestler... He works hard and seems like a genuine good guy. Easy to root for.

Comment

Who else remembers the Legacy years when his lack of knee pads made him look like he had chicken legs?

Damn that guy has grown on me.

Come to think of it, how crazy is it that his big break in WWE was in a stable all about legacy and in pursuing that same thing he quit the WWE and created All In. Strange how history works.
      Last edited by SirSam; 09-11-2018, 06:17 PM.

Comment

Weirdly, I thought we already had a Cody thread.

I always liked Cody. I wasn't super surprised that he requested his release from WWE, but his career there will almost always show that he put his all behind everything he did in that company. Legacy, he made work, Dashing he made incredible especially after the nose break, he was a good to great IC champion (and I don't personally feel that gets acknowledged enough), the Rhodes Scholars stuff was splendid, Brotherhood stuff was spectacular, and early Stardust was excellent too. It's such a shame that WWE didn't see the worth in him, because I think he's the kind of guy they need in the main event scene on one program or another - just someone willing to throw their all behind what they're doing.

I suppose it's no surprise that he's succeeding when you consider the above dedication to making things work for him. I do wonder if he'll end up back with WWE, but he probably has no need to do so right now, and may never need to. I think he is reported as having made more money in one year as an independent than he ever did in a year working for WWE, which says a lot.

The fact he's getting some shine on the NWA title pleases me hugely.

Comment

Originally posted by Oliver View Post
          Weirdly, I thought we already had a Cody thread.
          Nuked in the reset. I guess the All In thread probably doubled up for a while.

I too liked Cody for a long time. Didn't really like the Stardust period but appreciated him trying to make a go of it, but liked most of his other stuff.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Comment

I bet the WWE has been kicking themselves for not utilizing Cody. He became a huge star out of the WWE and put on his own show of All In, and now possibly, possibly creating a new promotion in All Elite Wrestling.

But what probably really burn the WWE's ass, is that Cody has been a major part of the entire season of Arrow this season. he was on nearly every episode, and while his character will no longer be on it moving forward, the WWE could have used this to propel him into the spotlight even further. The promote the hell out of the Miz being in the Marine 6, straight to DVD that no one watches, but Arrow is still a HUGE show and Cody was on 6 episodes.

Comment

WWE is rolling in so much money I doubt they are losing sleep over it, but it definitely highlights that WWE's judgment of who should be a star and who shouldn't is pretty flawed.

Read that JBL sent some criticism Cody's way on twitter, possibly while drunk.

Comment

Just updating this with some of Cody's upcoming commitments.

Fyter Fest vs Darby Allin
                Fight for the Fallen w/Dustin vs Young Bucks

Comment

Pretty excited for both of these. I think Darby Allin has the potential to be one of AEW's key talents and with Cody riding in off the Dustin match, there are a number of ways to go. I've really enjoyed Dustin and Cody tagging in the past as well, and while I'm not the biggest Young Bucks I do think they're better when faced with a team that's stylistically different from them, which Cody and Dustin definitely will be.

Comment

I'm very interesting in Darby Allin too. His promo a few weeks back on one of the YouTube shows was incredible real character potential.

I wonder if he picks up a surprise win? Would certainly be a big upset but would really establish him as a big deal.

Comment

I think there's rich potential in that idea. Cody just came off a bloodbath and is distracted looking ahead to the next two events, and based on the Road To videos maybe didn't know precisely what he was getting into. It's not a must for Darby to win but it's definitely a must for me for him to take Cody to the limit at a minimum, this is their chance to introduce this guy with a major bang.

Comment

Is Cody going to win the belt at Full Gear, and if not, what's next?

Comment

He should lose and become HHH. Run the company and only wrestle at major events.

Comment

Why would they essentially bench one of their most popular acts just as he is reaching his peak?

I think AEW is in a good spot where he could win the title and go on a great run, or he could lose and they milk his eventual title win for a later date.

Comment

Also Tony Khan is ultimately the one in charge. I think Cody and the other members of elite play a big part in the process but Khan signs the checks.

I don't think its too much strain on Cody to wrestle on the shows and given what they do with him, I imagine he's having the most fun in his career. Cody's stuff is the best thing on the show for me. Pretty much exactly what i want out of wrestling.

Comment

Working...
                              X