Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm quite genuinely looking forward to seeing Eva Marie back. In part, because the discourse around it from fans will be hilarious, in part because when she was in WWE she was an absolute heat magnet.

Part of me is tempted to think that her coming back will be part of that Parker Boudreaux guy getting an immediate main roster spot.

Comment

• Any chance that when RKBro finally breaks up to set the feud in motion between Riddle and Orton, it is Riddle that turn on Orton? A heel turn for Riddle can do him wonders. I cannot remember if Riddle has ever been a heel before, where he is all serious.

And if Eva Marie is coming back, she better have spent her time away training to get good in the ring, or be a heat magnet manager.

Comment

• I seem to remember Eva was working with Kendrick (maybe?) not so long ago.

But she doesn't need to be 'Good' in the ring. Yes, she needs to do the basics competently. But her whole personality rubbing people up the wrong way is enough to get her by for a looooong time.

Comment

• Yes Eva needs to be good in the ring. Just look to Lana. She has been working really hard at improving her ring work, but she still sucks. The WWE Women's division is only getting better, and the NXT product is amazing.

Eva should be a heat magnet manager like Heenan was. Where, she talks and rubs people the wrong way, but if need be, she can take a bump, or actually wrestle a match, but we know that she is not good. I do not want to see (granted, I am taking a break from watching) Eva vs Charlotte, Asuka, Shayna, Nia, Rhea, Bayley, Sasha, Bianca, Nattie etc. and those are the top of the division.

Now if she comes back and is good, then by all means let her wrestle weekly and eventually hold a title. But if she is going to be another Lana or Billie Kay or a regression back to the Diva's Era, no thank you.

Comment

• You know what I appreciate about Sheamus? Humberto Carillo might have been legitimately injured last night on Raw, and he didn't take to Twitter today to apologize and let everyone know that they're cool. He gloated like a heel about the guy he injured. Get heat. Apologize in private and shove it in his face in public.
            https://youtu.be/wue-ZFnEta8
            My latest (and hopefully last) Covid-Era show

Comment

• Is Tamina actually a bad wrestler, or is that something I decided a long time ago and should reevaluate? I don't think I've ever seen her be anything other than bad, but I'm now at the point of wondering whether I've just settled on that and now I can't unsee it.

Natalya and Tamina might genuinely be my least favourite tag team ever.

Comment

• It depends on what you consider "bad" doesn't it? I don't think she's someone who's going to go out there and hurt people, but she probably wouldn't be on top of my women's division.

She's serviceable as a legitimate looking threat for someone else to beat and get over, but that's probably where I see her overall.

She'd make an okay bodyguard for a smaller heel like Sasha who could save her from eating falls.

Comment

• She did that for AJ Lee before, right?

She just seems kind of stiff, in a movement sense rather than striking sense, in the ring to me.

How about that Cesaro, huh?

Comment

• Backlash Thoughts:
                    • Women's Triple threat - good match
                    • SD Tag Titles - another well done match, Rey wearing a 1960's Batman inspired outfit - amazing. Dominick coming to help out with busted ribs, was expected, but he hit a top rope frog splash with no selling of the injury...not so good.
                    • Miz vs Priest - with Zombies...Sigh. This type of crap is what made me skip about 3 weeks of WWE easy.
                    • Bayley vs Beliar. Good, not great.
                    • Men's triple threat. Big Beefy Men doing big beefy men things. Great hard hitting match which was a lot of fun.
                    • Uni title - Cesaro looked like gold. Roman is the best thing in the WWE right now.

Who is the next challenger for Roman? Bryan is retired. Edge has gone away. Rollins resumed his feud with Cesaro. unless they are going with Roman vs Jimmy?

I asked last night: Why did the WWE choose to have Rhea turn instead of Bianca Belair? Beliar's EST gimmick is a natural heel type of gimmick along the lines of Kurt Angle's Three I's and when Bret was a heel, with the Best there is....
                    Last edited by Powder; 05-17-2021, 07:31 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Powder View Post
                      I asked last night: Why did the WWE choose to have Rhea turn instead of Bianca Belair? Beliar's EST gimmick is a natural heel type of gimmick along the lines of Kurt Angle's Three I's and when Bret was a heel, with the Best there is....
                      I'm not sure Bianca can pull off a heel currently. Her gimmick begs for it, but she's stuck in that mode where she's just so happy to be there that she wouldn't make for a believable heel.

Comment

• Personally I wouldn't have turned either Bianca or Rhea. I don't see the gimmick issue with Bianca like you, Powder.

As far as who's next for Roman, Jimmy seems like an option. Aleister Black is obviously coming back and, with Heyman being a fan (reportedly he even campaigned for him to win the 2020 Rumble) I could see them building up Black vs Reigns without breaking a sweat. Big E is working up to a shot, I'm sure, although it might not be right now. There are a few options there, but when you look at the Smackdown roster it is a tad thin unless they redo a feud from recent times or extend the one with Cesaro (they could, I suspect, pretty easily do Cesaro vs Rollins vs Reigns as a triple threat, for example).

Comment

• Originally posted by Team Farrell View Post

I'm not sure Bianca can pull off a heel currently. Her gimmick begs for it, but she's stuck in that mode where she's just so happy to be there that she wouldn't make for a believable heel.
                          See that is the problem.

Bianca has been on the main roster for a little over a year now, and she still has that "happy to be here" aura. She should be fully into her character by now, and be a wrestler/sports entertainer. She could be a badass face, similar to Drew. as Bianca has the legit athlete background to back up everything but she is just a generic Wonderbread babyface. She needs to find her niche and BE the EST, not say she is the EST.

Originally posted by Oliver View Post
                          Personally I wouldn't have turned either Bianca or Rhea. I don't see the gimmick issue with Bianca like you, Powder.
                          I would not have turned Rhea either, but at least she is finding her way more than Bianca is. Bayley carried the feud leading up to Backlash, and the feud prior to WM as well. Rhea is holding her own on the mic against Charlotte and in the ring against 2 of the all time best. Yes, Rhea is still a little rough around the edges trying to find her way in Vince's RAW vs HHH's NXT. but she seems like she is there and in character.

Rhea has a long future at only 24 years old. She can be a heel for the next 2 years building to her eventual face run. Look to Drew. When he came back, he was a heel for almost 2 years, then he began to turn face leading into the Rumble. Rhea has that sort of time so the heel run can be good.

It has been tried and true, that a great heel eventually turning face gets someone over. But we will see. I just hope that the WWE does not rush Rhea's face turn, let Rhea dig her heels (no pun intended) into the character and gain experience, only to eventually turn down the road.

Also, Rollins coming out last night, made me actually want a face Rollins vs Heel Roman feud.
                          Last edited by Powder; 05-17-2021, 01:31 PM.

Comment

• Why is Bianca still "happy to be here" a problem? Is there a set time limit someone should be happy as a babyface? After a year, they should be badass angry all the time? Where is that written?

Bianca is a very fresh babyface. She's got amazing support from the fans and her colleagues. She should be happy to be here. If this was a real sport, she'd be the exact same person. UFC women's champions are always smiling after a fight and happy to be well respected. Valentina Schevchenko does a eastern european jig when she wins, and she's insanely dominant physically.

Where I agree with you is that Bayley carried the feud. But that's how feuds work more often than not? What work did Hogan put in in any of his feuds? He sold his emotions to whatever the heel was doing. Orndorff, Andre, Savage... all Hogan needed to do was act hurt at the betrayal, and then angry.

And, sexist as it may be, women's wrestling isn't nearly as evolved as people like to say. This is a good thing more often than not, because Bianca's gimmick isn't all that new, but it's new for a woman. So there's more leeway for her to smile and be amiably confident.

The real reason Bianca's run isn't all that hot is because the Smackdown roster isn't all that hot. Bayley put Bianca over leading to the Rumble, and Sasha put her over at Mania. Who else on the roster is an interesting threat? It reminds me of Daniel Bryan winning at Mania XXX. He was put over by so many stars on his way to winning the title, that to build the next PPV, the opponent had to be Kane. Kane had the story and was still relevant, but it was an obvious drop down in opponent quality after HHH, Batista and Orton for the 6 months prior to Mania.

I sense a women's roster shake up in some way. Someone from Raw will move over to Smackdown soon.

As for Tamina, the internet has shit on her recent push quite a lot, but forgetting how over the team was in front of a live crowd at WrestleMania. She doesn't need to be the more agile or technically sound to be able to tell a compelling story. Physically, she's way more capable than Andre was at Mania 3. She's not a better wrestler, as Andre knew what to do with his 4 total moves much better. But the point is that it isn't always about the moves. WWE did a much better job with this veteran finally winning gold story than anyone will ever give credit to, and it's all because it was done with "bland Nattie, Botchy Nia, and never was good Tamina". And the unfortunate crowning moment was done without live fans, so we'll never know if the Mania momentum was or wasn't a one night thing from fans just happy to there (though I would argue the fact that they won the crowd over after the lame ending to Orton vs Fiend shows that the story did connect). But Tamina and Nia will never get their fair shake from generic online fans. And it's a shame because both women offer so much more than the moves.

Comment

• Originally posted by PEN15v2 View Post
                              Why is Bianca still "happy to be here" a problem? Is there a set time limit someone should be happy as a babyface? After a year, they should be badass angry all the time? Where is that written?

Bianca is a very fresh babyface. She's got amazing support from the fans and her colleagues. She should be happy to be here. If this was a real sport, she'd be the exact same person. UFC women's champions are always smiling after a fight and happy to be well respected. Valentina Schevchenko does a eastern european jig when she wins, and she's insanely dominant physically.

Where I agree with you is that Bayley carried the feud. But that's how feuds work more often than not? What work did Hogan put in in any of his feuds? He sold his emotions to whatever the heel was doing. Orndorff, Andre, Savage... all Hogan needed to do was act hurt at the betrayal, and then angry.

And, sexist as it may be, women's wrestling isn't nearly as evolved as people like to say. This is a good thing more often than not, because Bianca's gimmick isn't all that new, but it's new for a woman. So there's more leeway for her to smile and be amiably confident.
                              I think the problem is that Bianca's gimmick doesn't match her disposition. She's apparently the "EST" and she's confident and knows she's the best on the roster...but it seems like she's still surprised that she's actually made it, and it could end at any time.

Charlotte is a great example. She has confidence, she's a bad ass, and when she says she's the best you get the impression that she legitimately believes it. She still shows that "real emotion" when it counts, but her general demeanor is "I'm a star". From Bianca I get a demeanor of "I'm lucky to be here".

I'm not saying Bianca needs to be Charlotte 2.0, but this "living my dream" thing isn't relatable to me. It's a straight line from that character, to Big Show weeping in the ring after being fired like a brone because it's such an honour to be in the WWE, rather than looking at Stephanie and saying "okay, I'll go home with my millions of dollars and be a big star someplace else."

I guess what I'm saying is I want more people with the attitude that it's an honour for WWE to have them there, as opposed to it being an honour for them to be in WWE. One is the attitude of a superstar that you might pay money to see, the other is a person on the roster of the show you came to see.

I want to see an athletically dominant babyface Bianca that knows she's the best athlete on the entire woman's roster, facing heels that are forced to cheat to overcome her athletic superiority. I want to see some Rock energy out of her.
                              Last edited by Team Farrell; 05-18-2021, 01:54 PM.

Comment

• My point isn't that her gimmick is perfect and can't be improved. It's more that like so many online complaints, it's a personal opinion problem more than an actual problem. I think every gimmick can be tweaked and improved, but it doesn't make what we actually get a problem.

Comment

Working...
                                X