X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    Oliver

• Oliver
    replied
    I'm sure they wouldn't, but part of me would love a curve ball like Tamina winning the Rumble. I mean, the women's roster is so thin it can barely support 20 women Rumble on it's own, the 30 women gets laden with one off debuts or returning legends.. Giving the win to someone like Tamina won't result in a tangibly worse match than giving it to Sasha, for example.

Leave a comment:

• PEN15v2

• PEN15v2
    replied
    And Powder, people do believe that Tamina or Dominick could win, much like they did with Koko B Ware. You're once again thinking everyone is on the internet gossiping about who deserves a main event push. But there still are kids, and adults, who don't see it as only a select few contenders.

PEN15v2
    Last edited by PEN15v2; 01-25-2022, 01:42 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Team Farrell
    Super Moderator

• Team Farrell
    replied
    Therein lies the problem with a battle royal and modern wrestling sensibilities. WWE is treating it as though it's real, fans are looking at it as a work with only two or three real contenders.

In theory, everyone in the match has a chance to win, especially since you don't have to pin anyone to eliminate them. And if you are going to push the match, it's really easy to shoot a pre-tape with random guy in the back.

If you aren't going to treat everyone like they have an equal shot of winning, why bother having the match at all? You might as well just do a four way with the only four people that the majority of fans realistically think have a shot. But if you're going to do the match, you've got to at least pretend that anyone could win. Plus, it's an opportunity to get promo time from someone who might not otherwise get it and see how they do.

I mean, the psychology of all of this is a little off from the get go if you give it too much thought. If I'm the owner of a professional wrestling promotion, why would I ever have a returning legend, someone from another promotion, or The Repo Man in my battle royal for a chance at a title shot at my biggest show? Wouldn't I want to stack that with only people who are under contract to me that would sell tickets if they were in that position?
    Team Farrell
    Super Moderator
    Last edited by Team Farrell; 01-25-2022, 01:21 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Powder

• Powder
    replied
    Fair...but any time in the past 15-20, when many/most of the participants are just fodder.

Like does anyone really believe that Dominick Mysterio will win? Or Tamina Snuka?

Leave a comment:

• PEN15v2

• PEN15v2
    replied
    All the time, especially early years. How could WWF not have a Hogan promo before he was in a Rumble?

Leave a comment:

• Powder

• Powder
    replied
    Changing gears a little...

I know it is standard procedure to have wrestlers cut vignettes saying that they are entered into, and that they will win the Rumble. Those short pre-recorded vignettes. But those are always for the fodder. I cannot remember, but has anyone evet cut one of those, and went on to win?

Leave a comment:

• Team Farrell
    Super Moderator

• Team Farrell
    replied
    I completely agree. I'm rarely home on Wednesday nights. Dynamite is usually my go-to to throw on in the background on like a Saturday before I leave the house or Sunday when I don't want to get on the couch. But last week I put it on late Wednesday night and literally fell asleep. I didn't like any of what I saw, but I saw people saying it was a really good show.

It can get worse though, man. Did you see any of last night's GCW? It can get much, much worse.

But I do get what you're saying about the fanbase. You have to be 10000% on board, or not on board at all. If I say that the show doesn't make sense to me because they're not explaining X, I hear that I have to watch BTE or Dark to get the thing that's confusing me and if I'm not going to do that, then the product isn't for me.

It's actually kind of annoying, because Dynamite had gotten mostly really good for a few months. And now, not so much.

It makes following any wrestling that I'm not directly involved with difficult for me. You've either got sanitized, often simultaneously silly and boring WWE (that still features a main event scene that's second to none); Dynamite that one month to the next can go from the best wrestling show on TV to the worst I've ever seen; absolute indy garbage like GCW; or New Japan which I love but thanks to the pandemic takes longer and longer to get English commentary these days.

Leave a comment:

• PEN15v2

• PEN15v2
    replied
    I'm not disagreeing about that. But I wasn't talking about the actual in-ring wrestling, but rather how they seem to present their show as us vs them. For example, AEW (and AEW fans) tend to portray themselves in a way that it feels like they think less of fans that enjoy WWE. Their presentation makes me feel like they don't want me to watch because I'm not part of the cool AEW circle.

Now, at 40 years old, I can look back through my life and I can say I like have a mental health issue of some kind where I always perceive myself to be unwelcome/outside to the cool group. So it's possibly me. But I'm not the only member of the IWC that has pointed out their presentation going in this direction.

Leave a comment:

• Powder

• Powder
    replied
    I think that is because you prefer a specific style to your wrestling, story lines, production, and writing which are all the WWE's format.

AEW is deliberately trying to be different. I honestly believe that you, Pen, would really like AEW if they did more traditional wrestling. Their promos and stories I think you would like, but you do not like many of the undersized wrestlers, that AEW lacks hosses, and their constant "flippy shit", constant kick outs of major moves and their matches are mostly Spot Fests.

i.e. Like when I mentioned that CM Punk took 5 successive powerbombs from Wardlow, and then got powerbombed through table, only to then beat a 10 count and roll up Wardlow with a small package. In the WWE, they would have stopped the match, or had Wardlow win with a countout, which would have protected both guys.

You simply do not like AEW's actual wrestling.

In contrast, and to make an analogy to WCW during the MNW, WCW's product was basically the same as WWF's but with different and at times older performers. Then once they came up with the nWo, their stories went to a whole new level. But you liked their actual wrestling product.

AEW appeals to the indy style where "every match has to be the OMFG the greatest match ever" guy. Where many to all of the matches has 100 spots.

I get why the indies do that style. So that the wrestler can get noticed. People now have super short attention spans and want to see something flashy, and the Land of Giants does not appeal to them.
    Powder
    Last edited by Powder; 01-24-2022, 03:31 PM.

Leave a comment:

• PEN15v2

• PEN15v2
    replied
    What I find odd is that I feel I fit in the AEW demo. White male, 40 years old, I wear mostly black t shirts... but I still feel like I'm an outsider from the insular feeling AEW gives me.

Leave a comment:

• Team Farrell
    Super Moderator

• Team Farrell
    replied
    The only one I could possibly see doing the Rumble is Jericho, and I highly doubt it'll happen. He's a legend in WWE, recognizable to their fans, and someone who they'd love to have back for a night. I guess you could put Christian in that camp, too.

I don't think WWE would even have an interest in someone like Kenny, assuming that the majority of their fans wouldn't even know the guy.
    Originally posted by PEN15v2 View Post

Of course the Internet is raging over this. People are overreacting.

That being said, WWE just shot themselves in the foot here. While WWE saying they are a more family friendly or mature approach is accurate, it was an unnecessary shot. It's also not truly insulting. AEW have a different gameplan. Good or bad, it's up to each of us to decide.

But I don't think anyone reading that is thinking "oh yeah! I better watch more WWE or give them more support." A lot like AEW often aims to only please their singular audience, WWE's comment is just patting themselves and their fans on the back, without it helping anyone.

All that being said, any AEW fan talking about how AEW must be a focus of those behind the scenes at WWE is sorely mistaken. It barely takes any research to see that AEW had a bloody match, and the blood approach in AEW and WWE are night and day.

Either way, this comment wasn't well thought out, and TK's nose candy influenced response won't be any better.
    It's the kind of response you'd expect in a wrestling war. I don't think it's "going after the advertisers" like some have implied, though it might make some think twice. It's just a little shot across the bow.

I'm actually surprised they did that type of match again on free TV. I guess the NYE show where you lost a fifth of your audience was the time to do it, but still. Apparently, when they did the Britt Baker-Thunder Rosa bloodbath their female viewership (which had been steadily getting better) cratered and has yet to recover. I guess women don't want to see other women involved in "gory self-mutilation" as much as Tay might be a mark for herself for doing it.

I love blood in wrestling, by the way. I'm not handwringing over it. I just find it interesting that they're so focused on the likes and interests of "the demo" -- which I might point out lines up well with the exact stereotype of a wrestling fan -- that they'll keep doing stuff that actively drives other demographics away.

Leave a comment:

• PEN15v2

• PEN15v2
    replied
    AEW and MLW won't happen, but ROH, NWA, Impact maybe.

Leave a comment:

• Powder

• Powder
    replied
    Me too, but with Jericho doing Stone Cold's Podcast as a full fledged member of AEW, the Forbidden Door to AEW is already slightly ajar. Which does not take it completely off the table.

We already have Mickie James, and yes I can see a male IMPACT wrestler coming as well. But we will see.

With IMPACT , and GCW, and NJPW, etc all having a working relationship with AEW, I just think that there may be a time in the very near future, where we go back to something similar to the territory days, where Wrestler X goes to another company in a trade of sorts.

Imagine Wardlow and MJF renew their AEW contracts in a year, then sometime later, the WWE and AEW work out a year long exchange program of sorts. Like MJF and Wardlow for Rollins and Owens. They work in the other company for a period of time. It probably will not happen, but it could. Wrestling could use a shot in the arm. And companies working together rather than against each other could do that.

Leave a comment:

• The Cook
    I can't cook

• The Cook
    replied
    I'd be very surprised to see anyone from AEW turn up, can see someone from Impact rocking up in the men's Rumble though.

Leave a comment:

• Powder

• Powder
    replied
    Is there any chance we get a Jon Moxley appearance at the Rumble? On SD Rollins called him by name when he said to Roman "Me and Mox carried you in the Shield". Mox, not Ambrose.

Also, the rumors have been swirling about a possible AEW talent making an appearance.....

I would think that the top AEW candidates to make a Rumble appearance would be (in no particular order)
    Danielson
    Moxley
    Jericho
    Cody - currently a free agent, but still AEW
    Christian
    Big Show

I know all former WWE guys, which is why I ould think that any of them would be possible.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X