Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here's an example of why I avoid these articles. I've seen the headlines, and some were more descriptive with spoilers than others, but I don't know the ins and outs of the negotiations.

WWE could potentially suffer from this, as I'm sure you're not the only one feeling this way, Oliver. But it's entirely the fault of dirtsheets. They've ruined this surprise. The joy of surprises in Pro wrestling is really hard to pull off with rumors and spoilers being so rampant.

Comment

• With the way that the WWE is booking Omos (correctly) as an unstoppable 400+lbs giant, who is muscular and athletic, who could realistically stop him out side of Lesnar, Lashley, and Reigns and Drew?

Omos feels different from the Big Show, in that when Show debuted wrestling still was the 'Land of Giants', where men who were 6'5"+ and 300+lbs were regularly around in WCW and WWF/E. The WWE just fed Commander Aziz to Omos 2 weeks in a row, and Aziz is billed at 6'9" and 375lbs.

Omos has a bright future, but with the general wrestler being around 6'-6'4" and 220-240lbs it just seems like the suspension of disbelief will be harder to accept than before.

With that said, I would love for Omos to go to AEW and literally just stomp all over all of their top talent that are 6' tall and 215lbs. Adam Cole vs Omos....lol...please.

Comment

• I just want to say the women are absolutely killing it. I found myself actually interested in the tag titles storyline, Becky Lynch just delivered the best promo of her career and Rousey/Flair has been as good as it's supposed to be.

Comment

• I very much feel like Omos is being built up to be taken down, like so many others. Probably by one of those four, to be honest.

In my book, the question is when, not if.

Originally posted by PEN15v2 View Post
          Here's an example of why I avoid these articles. I've seen the headlines, and some were more descriptive with spoilers than others, but I don't know the ins and outs of the negotiations.

WWE could potentially suffer from this, as I'm sure you're not the only one feeling this way, Oliver. But it's entirely the fault of dirtsheets. They've ruined this surprise. The joy of surprises in Pro wrestling is really hard to pull off with rumors and spoilers being so rampant.
          You're not wrong, Pen. You're not wrong at all. I suspect my thinking is somewhat impacted by the fact that I don't now, nor did I ever, very much care for Cody Rhodes (although taking it back to the Dashing gimmick I thought that was his moment to really kick on and become something within WWE). I've hardly liked anything he's done since leaving WWE, especially in the ring. Ah well.

Comment

• Dustin vs Cody?

As for Omos, it's extremely challenging to book a giant long term in wrestling. Not impossible, but the stigma of the unbeatable monster can only last so long. Unless booked like Andre or Undertaker pre-96 (as attractions that aren't really part of the main stories) Omos will eventually have to lose. And I don't see him being a megastar, so he'll need to lose. I didn't understand his promo last night, so his mic skills might hold him back. It'll be like Khali who lost to Cena and barely made an impact after that. Or Yokozuna losing to Hitman. Or every other unstoppable giant.

It's not easy to keep these guys as threats long term. It's why I wish he'd still be in a tag team. branch him off of AJ, that's fine. But him him join Azeez for example, vs Apollo and AJ or something. Give him a better tag team story as he continues to grow.

Ah well.

I really enjoyed Raw last night. Lynch pulled of an incredible promo that reminded me of Jake Roberts in his prime ("wallowing in the muck of avarice" promo). It's a shame that the issue was presentation. Solo sitting in a chair trying to time her words around the fans reactions took the segment down a notch. Had there been a Mean Gene holding a mic and reacting to her words, like he did with the Snake at Mania 6, everything would have had more impact.

Concerning the complaints about the "can he get booked on WrestleMania?" story, We watch mysteries knowing the murder will be solved, but the question is how will we get there. I don't ee how this is any different. It's only predictable to the jaded hardcore fan (who love to assume everyone thinks like them). But we still don't know if Seth's opponent will be Cody, or Goldberg, or Omos, or who knows? I'm enjoying the work put in by Rollins, and the angle has given us matches with stakes vs Owens and AJ.

Comment

• Dustin vs Cody might well be the exception that proves the rule, for me.

It's not a knock on Cody, necessarily, but I think he's 'just' a very good hand. To be honest, I don't even think he's Rollins' level now, nor will he ever be in the WWE system. He'll come in hot, but in a few months I think it will settle down.

Comment

• Originally posted by PEN15v2 View Post
                I really enjoyed Raw last night.
                KO channeling the Miz coming out as the Rock and HBK playing Hitman's theme to fool Montreal....great call backs to both of those segments.

Comment

• I was in that Montreal crowd for HBK's game vs Hogan. No Toronto crowd has matched it since.

Comment

• Originally posted by PEN15v2 View Post
                    Concerning the complaints about the "can he get booked on WrestleMania?" story, We watch mysteries knowing the murder will be solved, but the question is how will we get there. I don't ee how this is any different. It's only predictable to the jaded hardcore fan (who love to assume everyone thinks like them). But we still don't know if Seth's opponent will be Cody, or Goldberg, or Omos, or who knows? I'm enjoying the work put in by Rollins, and the angle has given us matches with stakes vs Owens and AJ.
                    See, I think that the only major problem with the angle is consistency. Seth is a major star. How many times over the years have we seen a major star get on Mania by just challenging another major star to a match?

It doesn't work with me because without this contrived sudden need to "find a path to WrestleMania", in any other year on shows that were one day and far more stacked, he'd be able to just wander out on Raw and say "Tommaso Ciampa, you've really impressed me in NXT and and WrestleMania, I want to see what you've got," and boom we've got a match.

It's sort of like when John Cena, the biggest star in the the company, couldn't possibly find a match at Mania so he sat in the crowd and did a disappointing 90 second match with Taker.

I just wish that there was more year-to-year consistency. Are we to believe that the card is full? Then how are they going to add whatever it is that he's doing? Are we to believe that there are just no worthy stars left for Seth to face? Way to bury guys like Kofi or Sheamus.

A major top star fretting about how he can get on Mania, to me, feels the same as if he were fretting about how he would possibly earn a spot in the Rumble while 29 other people are just declaring their entry.
                    Last edited by Team Farrell; 03-22-2022, 12:11 PM.
                    https://youtu.be/wue-ZFnEta8
                    My latest (and hopefully last) Covid-Era show

Comment

• I get it. I'm not saying it's a great angle. But the major wave of "this is so stupid, fed=bad" garbage out there doesn't match the weakness of the angle.

Comment

• Changing gears a little, with a few questions….

Does anyone know if the AOP are working anywhere since their release?
                        If not, why doesn’t the WWE consider bringing them back? They were a big dominant tag team that could put a boost back into the tag division.
                        They never really were able to sustain any momentum due to injuries, so why not being them back to give them one final chance?

Comment

• I just cannot with WWE painting the Bellas as being key in the women's wrestling evolution.

Good NXT again last night. but I can't help but feel they're trying to do a lot of short matches when they could do with a bit more of a focal point as a mid-show match. Strong and Sikoa had a real quality opener, and the main was solid as it gets, but I think just having something to get your teeth into in the middle of the show would really put a bit more focus. With that in mind, Waller/A-Kid was pretty disappointing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Oliver View Post
                            I just cannot with WWE painting the Bellas as being key in the women's wrestling evolution.
                            They kind of are though. They stepped up their in-ring game to compete alongside the women that got brought up from the old NXT, when a lot of other women didn't, and were the only real "stars" in the division from a time when more people watched it. Does anyone actually think that if they didn't have the Bellas to anchor things around they suddenly would have done this big "evolution" and put more focus on the women? Or that people would have stayed tuned in to watch it?

The Bellas are Trish Stratus a generation later. They were models who got in to the business and then genuinely wanted to make a go of it and be as good as possible. The difference is that Trish came along at a time where people didn't care about where someone came from or "why" they were there, just that they were there and being entertaining. You didn't have to be a starving indy wrestler before WWE hired you to be considered "good".

They were as good or better than Trish was at her peak, but fans decided that they were "Divas" instead of wrestlers because that's how the division was portrayed.

Comment

• I never cared for Brie, and Nikki only had a short run where she was at her peak and doing great work. But if you judge merely by what they did on Raw or SD, I get why you wouldn't think they were a big deal.

But their marketing is unreal, and the numbers backed it up. I think it was the female demo that was impacted they most, and their reality show was a big part of it.

It's very important that they evolved along with the division. It's overall pretty impressive, but not as much when they were on WWE TV
                              Last edited by PEN15v2; 03-24-2022, 01:06 PM.

Comment

• I actually find the Bellas very interesting.

I've been saying for years that their ring psychology was head and shoulders above the other girls in the division, even when the more "respected" women started filling out the roster.

But it was interesting to see them improve and diverge their styles. Obviously Brie started training with Danielson, and Nikki with Cena. That should never be considered a "shot". You train at what you are doing to improve, and if you're with someone who also does what you do, you're naturally going to do it together.

But Nikki, the one who got the bigger push, started veering more toward the WWE main event "star" style, and Brie slowly started to take on a little more of an "indy" style.

But yeah, I'm a very strong believer that they were/are better in the ring, more influential and more important than they'll ever be given credit for because they were brought in as models and a twin gimmick.

Like I said, Trish came in as a model who wanted to get better, did and is a legend because there was so much less scrutiny around why you're in the business 20 years ago. The Bellas came in as models who wanted to get better, and did but because of the increased scrutiny, who they were romantically involved with, and a never confirmed reputation for sleeping around, they're forever "Divas".

On the influence side, I think if you talked to girls 18-25 these days getting in to the business, The Bella Twins would be a big reason for a lot of them. Faaaaaar more of them than would ever cite Mercedes Martinez, Lufisto, Sarah Del Ray, etc. That's their ultimate legacy. They made little girls want to be wrestlers like them, and a lot of them now are.
                                Last edited by Team Farrell; 03-24-2022, 12:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X