Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• With all the low brow football and NBA fans there are, I think the WWE fans could handle it.

EDIT:

To continue with what Pen said about or conversation..SD is still lacking faces.

Here is the updated SD roster, tell me besides Drew McIntyre and FA Lesnar, who are the main event faces?

* AJ “Top Dolla” Francis
    * Aliyah
    * Angel Garza
    * Ashante “Thee” Adonis
    * “B-Fab” Briana Brandy
    * Cesaro
    * Charlotte Flair (RAW Women’s Champion)
    * Drew Gulak
    * Drew McIntyre
    * Erik
    * Happy Baron Corbin
    * Humberto Carrillo
    * Isaiah “Swerve” Scott (WWE NXT North American Champion)
    * Ivar
    * Jeff Hardy
    * Jey Uso (SmackDown Tag Team Champion)
    * Jimmy Uso (SmackDown Tag Team Champion)
    * Jinder Mahal
    * King Shinsuke Nakamura (WWE Intercontinental Champion)
    * Kofi Kingston
    * MACE
    * Madcap Moss
    * Mansoor
    * Mustafa Ali
    * Naomi
    * Natalya
    * Rick Boogs
    * Ricochet
    * Ridge Holland
    * Roman Reigns (WWE Universal Champion)
    * Sami Zayn
    * Sasha Banks
    * Shanky
    * Shayna Baszler
    * Sheamus
    * Shotzi Blackheart
    * Toni Storm
    * Xavier Woods
    * Xia Li
    Last edited by Powder; 10-05-2021, 01:09 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Powder View Post
      With all the low brow football and NBA fans there are, I think the WWE fans could handle it.
      I don't disagree, but the point was why they don't do it - not whether or not it's the right call.

Frankly, I think everything to do with drafts in the WWE has been pretty worthless, so if they are going to do it I don't have a strong opinion either way on how they go about it.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Comment

• Originally posted by Powder View Post
        In regards to the draft...why hasn't the WWE been able to use the NFL, and to a lesser extent the NBA and NHL draft as a guide?

Why hasn't there been any type of trades for draft picks in 20 years?

For instance, when a wrestler gets hurt, i.e. Sasha Banks prior to SummerSlam, there could have been a really cool opener to the the SDWC match where Adam Pearce and Sonya Deville came out to the ring and said something along the lines of:

"As many of you know, Sasha Banks is injured and is out for the SDWC match. So Sonya and I needed to find a suitable replacement for Sasha. So we put our heads together and we made a trade with RAW. In exchange of a first round and a third round draft pick, SD has obtained...." cue Becky's music and let the rest play out exactly as SummerSlam did.

BUT, it makes why Becky is on SD relevant. When she went out with her pregnancy, she was a RAW Superstar, and the RWC. So she was still a RAW star.

Not only that type of thing, but have some trades during the draft. Like, Roman wanted the Usos to be drafted to SD, but they get drafted to RAW in the first round. Then Roman calls Heyman and says for him to fix this. The Heyman orchestrates a trade. Like the Street Profits and a later round pick for the Usos.

Drafts, have trades all the time. Use that and make it fresher.

Yes USA and FOX can have who they want on their shows, but the WWE can write the story on how they get there.
        I think that it's because Vince doesn't follow sports. He doesn't care about it. It's a smart idea, but I think it comes down to them wanting to be entertainment far more than they want to be sport.

It also doesn't matter as much anymore. 15 years ago, when there were two defined brands of a completely different style with general managers where you could truly pick a favourite brand that you cared about, it made sense. You could have situations where the Raw GM gave up his first round draft pick, and now both Champions have been drafted to Smackdown so the Raw GM has one match left (the upcoming PPV) to get his title back...but then he drafts both PPV challengers so now come the Pay Per View he has the opportunity to have both Champions on his show.

Today, FOX and USA are paying them so much money, they can't really pit the shows against one another. It would be nice to have two competing creative teams, maybe even creative teams that got financial incentives for hitting viewership numbers, so you'd have two brands fighting. Today, it's one brand with two shows that have different rosters.
        https://youtu.be/wue-ZFnEta8
        My latest (and hopefully last) Covid-Era show

Comment

• I'm not sure it's as effective when there's only one side to deal with, either. Why would Raw let Smackdown have an earlier pick, in kayfabe, if they know they could take away one of their 'top' stars in doing so? It's not like they're drafting collegiate talent where there's every chance that the #10 pick could work out as well as the #1 pick. Heck, wasn't Tom Brady barely fancied and picked in something like the fifth round?

As far as Smackdown faces go, Kofi can almost immediately come into a main event position if they wanted. Jeff Hardy and Ricochet also could hold down a side of the main event, although arguably both are 'experimental' - Jeff less so than Ricochet. Not so long ago that Cesaro was in a main event of a pay per view either, and that was with very little build to get him there. Nakamura's a face now too, I believe, and main event capable. They're fine.

Comment

• Yeah I think Smackdown will be fine. Reigns will be preoccupied with Brock, and then presumably Big E at Survivor Series. A couple of matches with Drew at TLC and the Rumble and then you're into 'Mania season where he'll either face Brock in a rematch from Crown Jewel or The Rock. And that's without touching on the guys Oliver mentioned. In fact Jeff Hardy makes great sense for TLC really.

Comment

• When you try to fall asleep, your mind wanders, and last night it got me thinking of the biggest missed opportunity matches of all time. Not matches that should have happened at a different time, like Hogan vs Flair at WM8, but then happened in WCW, but matches that we never got to see at all.

My top 4 in order.

#4: Austin vs Goldberg
              #2-A: HBK vs the Rock
              #2: The Undertaker vs Sting
              #1: Austin vs Hogan

Possibilities:
              Demolition vs The Road Warriors
              The Young Bucks vs The Usos vs the New Day
              The Shield Triple Threat

Comment

• The Shield Triple Threat happened.

I think HBK/Rock is probably the biggest one, for me. I wouldn't have had much interest in Austin vs Hogan when they could have crossed over (even if they were doing WCW vs WWE) and the same for Taker/Sting. But HBK vs Rock would have happened at both men's peaks had it not been for HBK hurting his back. By the time he came back, Rock was off to Hollywood.

Comment

• I cannot remember when the Shield Triple Threat happened, but i believe you.

Comment

• I feel like a well produced full-blown Miz/Jericho feud that was taken seriously could've been $$$.

Comment

• We also could have easily gotten an HBK vs Rock feud, the Rock was NOT in Hollywood when HBK came back. SummerSlam 2002 was HBK's first match back and the Rock lost to Lesnar at the same event. Yes the Rock took off a few months, but he came back in January of 2003 and was around for a year, so they could have had a match/feud in that year. But the WWE decided to go with Austin/Rock III for Mania (no real fault there) and the Goldberg feud, which could have easily gone to HBK.

Comment

• Michaels vs Sting would be an interesting one. The two top guys who never jumped facing off would have been cool to see.

Lawler vs Hogan would interesting to me. Yes, they had matches in Florida and Memphis, but those were when Hogan was on the way up and still learning. They never worked after Hulkamania had kicked off.

One that interests me for some reason is Randy Savage vs Rob Van Dam. Savage was still going at the time where Van Dam was getting really over in ECW, and the story was that in the late 90s Bischoff was talking to RVD. But we never got to see it.
                        https://youtu.be/wue-ZFnEta8
                        My latest (and hopefully last) Covid-Era show

Comment

• Shield Triple Threat was at Battleground 2016. A very short recap video put out by WWE here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpMu...ab_channel=WWE

Originally posted by Powder View Post
                          We also could have easily gotten an HBK vs Rock feud, the Rock was NOT in Hollywood when HBK came back. SummerSlam 2002 was HBK's first match back and the Rock lost to Lesnar at the same event. Yes the Rock took off a few months, but he came back in January of 2003 and was around for a year, so they could have had a match/feud in that year. But the WWE decided to go with Austin/Rock III for Mania (no real fault there) and the Goldberg feud, which could have easily gone to HBK.
                          I guess so - HBK was deep into the Jericho storyline around Mania, wasn't he? And then Rock/Goldberg at Backlash while HBK had a six man thing with Jericho, HHH and Flair and some others, then Rock was off again until the next Mania where they did the Rock N Sock reunion. So all in all Rock was back for the Mania build with Austin, another month with Goldberg, then off for 11 months before a one off at Mania XX.

Comment

• Not to mention the fact that Rock still had a bad taste in his mouth for how Shawn treated him when he first got to WWE.

Comment

• If it's not obvious to everyone that WWE does not fear AEW, these releases is the cherry on top.

With all the classic WWF I've been watching (currently in the build to SSlam 92 in Wembley), I keep hoping that the success of AEW will bring a return of the era where guys would only last 2-5 years in a promotion, then move to another, and then maybe back again. I know AEW fans can't picture anyone choosing to leave TK to take a chance with WWE, but it's bound to happen. If these people aren't ready for the main roster, even with Vince's limited vision, then it's to everyone's benefit that they find other places to learn and grow.

Only one I'm really bothered by is B Fab. She wasn't great or anything, but she was unique in the Hit Row, and isn't easily replaceable for that role from what I can see.

Comment

• I am shocked that Kross, Lee and B Fab were all just released. Everyone else, have done nothing in the WWE, but Kross, Lee and B Fab were all major parts of the draft.

Comment

Working...
                                X