Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I understand what you're saying for supply and demand, but he building owner's aren't going to rent things out at a loss. WWE doesn't pay the building staff directly, but they'll foot the bill as the building will include all that in a fee. It's a lot more expensive than you realize, and for only 25% max capacity, it's likely not worth it to transport all the gear that's setup in Tropicana to wherever they'll need to go.

Sure, WWE could have found a way. But the point isn't that it's possible, it's is it worth it. And complaining about piped in noises all you want, it's WAY better than no fans like in Impact and ROH, and I feel most people don't notice it.

Comment

• Maybe I'm not being clear. I am not saying to set up the Thunderdome. I'm saying that the WWE can have a regular PPV set up with their trucks, a ring, some pyro, and Titan Tron, and cameras. That can't be that much as compared to moving the Thunderdome.

I am even ok with a scaled back production if it means for a live crowd.

Also if an NFL stadium is too big, I am sure there are smaller open air venues like a Daly's Place that the WWE could find. Live audience supersedes production, pyro, and elaborate sets..
      Powder
      Last edited by Powder; 01-07-2021, 07:04 PM.

Comment

• You're being perfectly clear, you're just not comprehending. It's a typical online fan "this is what I want to see, and WWE is stupid for not doing it" perspective, because you're forgetting how much work and cost is involved.

You are correct, you don't have to move the actual Thunderdome. But everything other than those screens does have to move. And that's not cheap. Right now, WWE doesn't have to pay anyone to lug that stuff around. Trucking, set up, tech support...etc. WWE paid to have it all set up, and they won't have to pay anyone to tear it down for a couple of months. But, if they chose to move to another location for just one event, that's an extra cost. Without capacity ticket sales, renting out a venue is a risky move.

That's just extra labor cost. Now you have to add in staffing costs to run the venue with attendance. It has nothing to do with the size of the venue. The point is the cost in any venue would possibly not be covered by only selling 25% of the seats.

I don't even need to see the numbers to know it doesn't make sense.

Comment

• Is the fact that it's not open air what's stopping WWE from having fans? I just figured that the logistics were more than they were willing to deal with at this moment. I know the hoops that I had to jump through and the headaches I had dealing with the municipality to get the ok to run events with a 100 person cap. I can only imagine what that looks like when not only do they hold WWE to a higher standard, but you're also talking four or five digit attendance numbers.

A football stadium isn't ideal to hold an event like a wrestling show unless you're going to fill it. A few thousand fans in a football stadium looks pathetic and you likely wouldn't hear them very well, and maybe there's a way to put those fans on the ground in front of the Thunderdome, but even then I think the logistics are a lot to deal with. And honestly, the PR nightmare that would go along with having fans at these events might not be worth the headache either.

I can tell you that in running non-wrestling events in September and October, the constantly moving goalposts that the government was setting and ever shifting rules -- literally it would be one day you can have 200 people in this room and the next would be actually now you can only have 50 if there's food being served -- made it frustrating to the point that we took all events digital.

The Thunderdome isn't great, and I would much prefer a set-up more similar to what NXT uses, but I get it. They don't want Monday Night Raw or main roster PPVs to come off as low rent, and if their options are a few live fans making a little noise or a multi-million dollar Thunderdome set-up with all the bells and whistles, I sort of get why they'd go with the Thunderdome.

Wrestle Kingdom with actual fans was amazing. Unfortunately, it just doesn't seem like North America is there yet. Remember, WK is coming months after New Japan ran a 40k seat baseball stadium in front of 4,710. I don't think WWE is willing to have that appearance, at least right now. Maybe they'll hit a point where they're desperate for a live audience and they'll push it, but it just seems like North America isn't there yet.

EDIT: Isn't the complaint with Daily's Place that these open air venues are cold as fuck right now anyway?
          Team Farrell
          Super Moderator
          Last edited by Team Farrell; 01-08-2021, 04:32 AM.
          https://youtu.be/wue-ZFnEta8
          My latest (and hopefully last) Covid-Era show

Comment

• There is no official word to whether an open air venue vs an enclosed venue makes a difference in the end result of the decision, but I can explain about what goes on in NY, with my daughter's soccer to make a parallel. When she has games or practice outside, masks are not required for players, but parents are asked to wear them. Friends and family are welcome on the sidelines for games as long as we 'adhere to social distancing and/or masks are worn'. When she has indoor games and/or practice, masks again are NOT required for players (my daughter wears one), but usually only 1 parent is allowed inside, and masks are required. However, there are many places that DO NOT allow parents inside, only players. So at the end of the day, it is up to each place to set their own rules, but what is clear, is that open air (outside) has regulations are significantly less strict due to being outside, than any enclosed (inside) place.

So with that, and my school's (where I teach) requirement that every classroom MUST have at least 1 window open at all times to maintain some fresh air, the open air venue vs enclosed plays a HUGE part in having any number of fans attending.

Also, the temperature of 50-65 degrees is not that terrible for fans, as I can tell you from personal experience, being on the sidelines for a few hours in 40 degree weather is cold but tolerable. Dress warm. let alone professional football games (during normal years) regularly play games in Green Bay, Pittsburgh, and Buffalo where the temperatures can dip to single digits, and the 80,000 seats are filled to capacity, so I DO NOT believe that the temperature plays that big a role in the decision, but it might. And do not give me anything about the actual wrestlers. On the way to the ring, they are cold, but once they get going, they are fine.

Finally, in regards to what the stadium 'looks like' with 25% capacity, I watch football games with that capacity and it looks a hell of a lot better than empty arena, and honestly it is not that bad. Also those fans are very vocal and make a significant amount of noise. When the games with fans are broadcast, there is NO piped in TV crowd noise, and it sounds good and like a game. Also the players like it better too. They rally behind the fans cheers etc.
            Powder
            Last edited by Powder; 01-08-2021, 08:56 AM.

Comment

• Why is the main page (and other wrestling sites not named here)reporting about Val Venis' social media getting banned for his political posts? I am not getting into any political discussion here at all, and frankly I do not care what anyone's personal views are on anything other than Wrestling (unless we discuss in private messages). So why is LOP reporting about Venuis' politics? He has not been part of wrestling for over a decade, and he is stating his opinions on his social media, so why is it news on LOP?

This is different from Jackson Ryker making political statements on his social media, while in character. This is a former wrestler making his opinions and suffering the consequences for them. If you agree with him, great, if you disagree, also great. But why is his posts news for it. He is NOT the President, or a current employee or talking about wrestling.
              Powder
              Last edited by Powder; 01-13-2021, 11:15 AM.

Comment

• Simple: you clicked on it. And if you didn't, then others do. Likely a lot of people click on these topics just to rant politically. It's the internet.

My advice, ignore the headlines you don't care about.

Comment

• I mean, it's the same reason why Sunny's legal troubles repeatedly got published by 'news' sites even though she was out of the business at the time, no?

Comment

• Abdullah the Butcher claims that he was slated to work a program with Hogan. Now, the timeline doesn't quite add up because he says he was talking to Vince Sr. and Hogan didn't come back to the company for his big babyface push until after Jr. bought the company, but it's been so long maybe he's just got that detail mixed up.

It was apparently nixed by several wrestlers telling Vince that Abby uses forks and other really over the top gimmicks (that leads me to believe he was talking to Vince Jr. because he famously doesn't watch wrestling outside of his company or know who guys are) and he didn't want that in his company, at a time where really any big wild bloody brawl was out of the normal for WWF.

But just picture it. Hogan's whole thing was his ability to sell. The squeaky clean, All American good guy Hogan, selling his ass off, bloody and battered, for Abdullah the Butcher? That program could have been legendary.
                    Team Farrell
                    Super Moderator
                    Last edited by Team Farrell; 01-14-2021, 12:41 PM.

Comment

• If this potential feud with Abdullah and Hogan would have come to fruition in the mid 90s (and both were still the age they were in the mid 80s), we would have gotten the feud. The 1980s were too cookie cutter, and family friendly for the WWF. It was all white meat good guy babyface vs cartoony bad guy. There was no hardcore aspect in the WWF. But if this was 1996-1999, then I could have completely seen it.

Yes there was blood in the WWF, but it wasn't in the manner that Abdullah did. Also, if this was a territory, or Japan, then I could see it.
                      Powder
                      Last edited by Powder; 01-14-2021, 01:53 PM.

Comment

• It depends what era. That 80-84 era was pretty bloody, judging by the matches of Patterson vs Slaughter, Snuka vs Muraco...etc.

Comment

• I'll give you that, but the family friendly white bread version of the WWF started with Hogan in January 1984 until let's say 1993, and that is the era to when I believe that Abdullah is talking about.

Comment

• I think Abby with the fork and those other gimmicks he was known for was just a step too far for Vince.

They weren't known as a territory that did gimmicks, outside of cage matches, until really quite a bit later on. They did blood, but even Muraco vs Snuka wasn't NWA blood. Patterson vs Slaughter really stands out as completely different than what WWF was putting out because it was an NWA match, it was a stiff, real looking fight with a ton of blood.

There was probably only about a one year period where Abby vs Hogan could have happened between '83 and '84, since by the time they got fully into Rock & Wrestling mode the blood and guts went away almost entirely.

Comment

• Slaughter and Sheik bled all over MSG in 1984, so it wouldn't have been that unlikely for Hogan/Abdullah to do something similar at that sort of time. '85 onwards you probably wouldn't have gotten the same bloody match, though.

Comment

• Out of curiosity, if WWE could do WrestleMania in front of a full stadium in Saudi Arabia, would many people who haven't already walked away from WWE not watch the event because of it?

Saudi seems to have a handle on Covid, and another WrestleMania in front of nobody, Thunderdome, or a few thousand fans would suck visually. But they could probably get 50k people in Saudi Arabia.

Obviously all the other problems with Saudi still exist, but that hasn't stopped WWE from doing business with them. The show has been announced as happening from Tampa already, but that seems like wishful thinking to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X