Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't undersell people w/ kids who are home on a Friday night, especially lower income, since it is on free TV.

This was probably an inside deal, w/ the Linda/Trump/Murdoch connection, and may very well be a precursor to an XFL partnership.

Comment

Originally posted by LK3185 View Post
      I think what they have done, is tried to make everyone more or less from the same mold and not separate the middle class from the top as much.. In doing so, they created a stronger brand to market, adding more equality with the women has defintely helped because in the Attitude era, they were sex objects... but also, most characters have the same, bland quality. The TV product doesn't take risks and things like Lashley's sister seg stand out like a sore thumb.. in a bad way.
      Making the broads sex objects led to good money/promotion from Playboy and some of their highest selling magazines ever. (Think I still have Sable, Torrie and Maria P-boys in the attic, along w/ Beulah in Cheri) Granted, in today's world it is VividCeleb or don't even bother.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerkmala View Post
        Making the broads sex objects led to good money/promotion from Playboy and some of their highest selling magazines ever. (Think I still have Sable, Torrie and Maria P-boys in the attic, along w/ Beulah in Cheri) Granted, in today's world it is VividCeleb or don't even bother.
        but its not a mainstream appeal is what WWE is going for now. Better or worse, that's what the company is striving for. Also, I don't think that would work in today's climate.

Comment

Not a chance that would fly today.

What they have done is very smart, the have made the company a bigger deal than any of the wrestlers in it which theoretically means they can ride out big names leaving, crappy creative, stars misbehaving, etc much better.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerkmala View Post
            You forgot Chyna's issue. I think that is still one of the all time highest grossing issue.

Originally posted by SirSam View Post
            Not a chance that would fly today.

What they have done is very smart, the have made the company a bigger deal than any of the wrestlers in it which theoretically means they can ride out big names leaving, crappy creative, stars misbehaving, etc much better.
            It wouldn't. Besides that people do not need to pose for Playboy anymore as all they do is "leak" a tape or pics and you become a World Wide star. *cough* Kim Kardashian *cough*. The WWE has distanced itself so far from the Attitude Era that it is almost comical when you look back at it. I mean it is almost 20 years since the AE ended (2001?)

The WWE is clearly trying to model the 1980s type of product, where the bulk is aimed at the kids, but with edgier themes and "reality" type of scripting for the older fan. But as a whole, the WWE is still trying to recreate the Superhero type of stars. Hogan, Cena, and now Reigns.

Comment

I wish we had the larger than life characters/stories of the 80s today. Combine that with the wrestlers of today and you've potentially got an all time great product.

I feel like the "low income fanbase" trope is less prevalent these days, but I'm not sure. If you're interested in that sort of thing, it'll be telling to see what kind of ads they sell when Smackdown moves over next year.

The '92 Rumble! The Brain's Finest Hour!

Comment

So, Word going around is that Io Shirai is officially coming into WWE next month. In other words, they get her a year later for the second woman's tourney.

Huge blow to Stardom. They're losing both Io and potentially Toni Storm as well.

“How great the tremors will be when the judge comes."

Comment

As a Stardom fan I'd be very bummed if she does go. I thought she had medical stuff they wouldn't sign off on? Interesting if they've changed their position.

On the plus side, Asuka vs. Io Shira would probably blow up the world if it happened right now, so that's pretty cool.

Comment

Originally posted by mizfan
                    As a Stardom fan I'd be very bummed if she does go. I thought she had medical stuff they wouldn't sign off on? Interesting if they've changed their position.

On the plus side, Asuka vs. Io Shira would probably blow up the world if it happened right now, so that's pretty cool.
                    Been reading about Shirai but never seen any of her matches so I look forward to seeing her in a WWE ring.

Twitter: @libsuperstar

Comment

If you want to get a jump on her, this was one of my favorite matches from her last year:

Comment

Ah. Good ole Viper! A firm favourite of mine in ICW. she's got that belt collector gimmick going on right now, and is doing wonders as the babyface champion of ICW. I loved her in the MYC last year and really hope she's in again this year.

Comment

Yeah, I'm a huge fan of Viper. I'm not sure if she's part of this latest talent raid WWE is on but if so, I wish her nothing but the best in WWE. Otherwise I'm definitely going to be following her pretty much wherever she goes.

Comment

I'm actually a little sad that they didn't pick her up last year. She can work, she can move really well and she doesn't have the typical body type which makes her stand out.

Hopefully she's back this year.
                            https://youtu.be/wue-ZFnEta8
                            My latest (and hopefully last) Covid-Era show

Comment

I think she'd have been a much better fit for the Alexa/Nia storyline they just did too.

Comment

Maybe it's because Nia hasn't had that "corporate" training in front of the cameras, and that the struggles she may have faced in the business due to her size, that her story could have felt more organic.

I think that what they've done with Nia however has opened some doors, and it could mean Viper could become really popular under the WWE umbrella.

I really enjoyed her match with I believe Toni Storm (?) in the MYC.

Comment

Working...
                                X