X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PEN15v2
    replied
    Another main roster person lost in the mix is back in NXT with Apollo Crews. I really love the idea of rebuilding talents who are stale/lost on Raw or SD, while also creating new feuds and angles on NXT. I already see the same troll complaints about how Crews is misused/devalued by Vince, but I really don't think Crews would be in a better position on the card were he in AEW. Fans need to realize that pushes aren't purely based on how good a talent is, or how deserving they are. To judge based on that is to ignore everyone else on the roster who are just as talented or deserving. And Crews is a great midcard guy. Nothing wrong with that, and his time in NXT should re-energize him for a potential move back to the main roster down the line.

I'm not seeing anything too special with Rok-C/Roxanne Perez. She's a solid underdog babyface, but "prodigy" seems a little much.

I started a discussion about WWE struggling with babyfaces, but NXT has some exceptions that should be pointed out, starting with Solo Sikoa. It's really hard to tell how his potential on the main roster would be because there's the obvious Bloodline story where he might flounder or get lost in that mix. But on his own in NXT, he is great as the tough street fighter. A mix of Stone Cold (in terms of being a loner tough SOB) and Shield era Roman Reigns. He's decent on the mic also. I'm pretty impressed.

Leave a comment:

• PEN15v2
    replied
    It's more like her People's Elbow than a finisher. Her kick before the split is the finisher.

Leave a comment:

• Powder
    replied
    I like Nikkita Lyons. I really do. I also think her finishing move of the Spilt-Splash is very unique and I get why it makes the male audience love her even more. BUT, I cannot see that Split-Splash sustainable finishing move.

Yes it will get her over, yes it will get her noticed, but she needs to find another power move that will be able to be repeated daily for potentially the next 15 years. The move can become a signature move, and can be pulled out of the bag for big matches, but to me, she needs something else.

Leave a comment:

• PEN15v2
    replied
    I saw this mentioned elsewhere, so it's not my original thought. But this week's NXT showed a seamless way of connecting segments and stories.

After attacking Ciampa last week, D'Angelo took on Dexter Lumis. That match lead into the Dexter/Indi vs Duke/Persia angle, which created the Duke vs GUNTHER match. After that match, Gunther vs LA Knight was setup for Stand and Deliver.

One complaint I have about the main roster is how structured it is. This NXT storytelling style of weaving the angles into each other removes that stale break between segments. It's not CRASH TV, but it does have that energy.

I liked that IO and KLR threw a monkey wrench into the women's division. I don't like the idea that they can just claim this change, but I like the change nonetheless.

NXT really has the best flow of the WWE shows, and it's very engaging. It doesn't have the aura of Roman vs Brock, or the monster promos of Becky and Paul Heyman, but it's really found a great groove of being consistent like the black and gold era, with a lot more personality.

Leave a comment:

• PEN15v2
    replied
    As this angle with Dolph was going on last night, I was wondering if it could lead to him being moved to Raw organically. But the way the match ended seemed to indicate the angle is over.

Leave a comment:

• Team Farrell
    replied
    He's also got comedic timing. I love LA Knight.

I think he's awesome and even at his age could still be a solid upper card IC/US Title guy. I feel like he could fill that Mr. Perfect role where he might get a run with Hogan here or there when you need a heel, and he is used to elevate someone like Bret or Shawn to superstardom. Always in the mix, never on top.

However, it's that comedic timing. They'd get him and wouldn't be able to help themselves.

Leave a comment:

• PEN15v2
    replied
    They should treat him well because those skills can be put to use after retiring. Announcing, managing, coach... I think someone like Grayson Waller, who already shows skills on the mic, would benefit from coaching from Knight as to how to get to the next level with promos.

Leave a comment:

• Oliver
    replied
    Age is the issue, for sure - it's interesting to think that WWE had him in NXT nearly a decade ago, as he could have been big for them longer term had they invested in him.

He might not be for everyone, for sure, but I agree that he'd connect with a far bigger crowd than the NXT one easily.

Leave a comment:

• PEN15v2
    replied
    Knight's issue is his age. His charisma and comfort as a character is something that really has a lot of depth to it, but being almost 40, it feels too late to bring him to the main roster. I know others have flourished at that age, but for some reason this feels different.

Powder, I 100% guarantee that if he had promo time in front of a Raw or SD audience, you'd see the connection. I'm not saying he'd connect with you, but you'd see that he connects with people on a level 99% of the performers cannot.

Leave a comment:

• Powder
    replied
    I cannot put my finger on it, but something about LA Knight irks me. Heel of face, it doesn't matter. I just do not think he is anything major. He seems appropriately placed, where he can be the 20 year vet to help the young kids learn and be that veteran presence in NXT. But other than that, I think that is his ceiling.

I may not be correct, and it may not be a popular opinion, but that's all I can see for him. He just does not connect with me in any way. I find myself changing the channel when he is on.

Leave a comment:

• Oliver
    replied
    Another week of NXT where I end up feeling like LA Knight is the one that WWE should be getting behind here. Ziggler and Miz are good on the mike and almost always have been, but put Knight in there with them and he was certainly nowhere near out of his depth, and the main event match with Ziggler was strong throughout.

Leave a comment:

• PEN15v2
    replied
    Yeah, when I said they made that creative decision, I didn't mean to imply I agreed with it. I feel it would have been better with just 4 teams, and letting the matches get real time.

Leave a comment:

• Oliver
    replied
    At least with Nile and Paxley they did a short introduction to them being in Diamond Mine together, so it kind of works (and Bivens brought her in as a member of the team)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1qR...ab_channel=WWE

So that kind of ready makes them as a bit of a team. Choo/Kai has got clear potential, as you say, and they looked particularly fluid at the end of their match this week.

I think it's just a little bit too much, y'know. One of those stories in a tournament works, maybe two. But this is (I think?) four even excluding the Nile/Paxley and Feroz/Leon teams that have just formed and may well go on to something.

I want Kacy and Kayden to win it all.

Leave a comment:

• PEN15v2
    replied
    With the women's Dusty, they made the creative decision to have the same amount of teams as the men's Dusty. My guess is they didn't want to have less than the men and face the backlash from those that would obviously complain. I don't know if that was the right move, because we had disappointing matches, and mostly obvious winners. That being said, the thrown together team of Ivy Nile and Tatum Paxley seems to have a story building from this with the backstage training segment shown last night. And the Choo/Kai team has potential and a decent start with a win over the established Team Aussie.

Speaking of the women... I really can't see any positive to continuing to keep Lash Legend on TV. Her talk show segments showed that she was limited in her mic skills, and with the heavily edited matches and the injury last night to Amari Miller, she's the prime example of the NXT 2.0 people that just aren't ready for TV. I'm not blaming her for the injury as I'm in no position to judge how that went wrong, but no matter what she needs to keep learning first.

It seems we're getting a Stratton vs Sarray angle, and maybe Lash vs Nikitta Lyons. I can't blame NXT for trying, but Stratton and Lash are both extremely green, and Lyons is as well but to a lesser extent. As green as Von Wagner, Tony D'Angelo and Andre Chase were when the black and gold brand became multi colored splash tones, they were much more ready for this spotlight than the women I just listed.

Leave a comment:

• Oliver
    replied
    Originally posted by Prime Time View Post
    As for NXT, honestly don't recognise any of these names anymore, so the overhaul must be pretty well complete.
    I think so. The way they're positioning the new guys, they've given them a good little chunk of time to bed in and not immediately turned any particular things away. Andre Chase and his Chase University stuff isn't doing much for me personally, but I think they're OK with letting that gimmick settle a bit into what it is. Von Wagner I think I had higher expectations of what NXT wanted for him given the O'Reilly mini-feud that established him but he's possibly treading water a little bit.

Watching NXT this week, I still can't help but feel the guy on the roster that most needs, and should have, a title run of some kind in the near future is LA Knight. I know he's 39, but he's got charisma, his promo work is leaps ahead of pretty much anybody else on that brand, and this week he was proactive in using the crowd reaction to inform what he did on the microphone. You could put him on Raw or Smackdown and he'd absolutely swim right now.

I thought the women's matches were a little ropey this week, the tag and singles bouts, but there are some strong talents there. I really don't like how many of the women's Dusty teams are 'odd couples' or 'thrown together', but I guess they've neglected that side of things for long enough that they need to bolster the brackets somehow.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X