No announcement yet.

Ronda Rousey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I guess I was highlighting the difficulty in appealing to different groups of fans: having seen that match in a high-profile setting so often would be much more of a turn-off for some groups than bringing the biggest name you could into the mix. But when others are set against it.... I mean, I honestly don't know how you're meant to go about trying to please everyone in your potential audience nowadays, since interests have diversified so massively.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Comment

• Becky vs Charlotte 1 v1 at Mania is not going to move the needle, especially after both headlined Mania last year, and no one really wants to see that rematch. BUT people would tune in for Becky vs Rousey 1 v 1 (finally) or becky vs Baszler 1 v 1. Both are matches that have not happened.

Comment

• Moving the needle doesn't matter. Mania will sell out, or at least sell enough to turn a profit - there doesn't seem to be that many tickets left, looking on the stadium website - and I'd wager that most who watch it are now Network subscribed so they're already bought in.

They could run the whole WM35 card from top to bottom again and it won't change the amount of income they'll get. 'Moving the needle' for WWE is a myth in the modern age.

I think I'd personally tune OUT for a ring rusty Ronda vs Becky. Didn't really like any of their in ring interactions at the last Mania. Becky vs Baszler has my interest, as long as WWE doesn't book Baszler to be a non-threat in the build (which I sort of fear they won't) because from a character perspective Shayna doesn't back down from a fight. They also need her to continue being the slightly arrogant smirking dickhead that she is.

But Becky vs Shayna is the only option of the three I can honestly say I have a serious interest in. And it's kind of a risk to put Shayna in a super high profile position early on. I wonder if she brings Jessamyn and Marina with her from NXT.

Comment

• I guess I am not using 'moving the needle" as in ticket sales or profitability now, as you are right that Mania will sell out regardless of the card ,and the Network brings in money regardless of what is on it.

I use moving the needle as a generating interest from the fans. It is akin to 10 years ago watch Orton vs Cena 15,420. People got tired of watching that over and over again. Now with Becky and Charlotte, how many times do we have to watch the same match?

Look at NXT last night. They had a battle royal with 20 women in it, all of which are better than most of the current women on the main roster. The WWE could easily pull up 5 of those women to the main roster and generate interest in new fresh, and good matchups.

Comment

• Oli, it might not move the needle for Mania night, but it will certainly move the needle overall with merch, and more importantly live attendance and ratings tuning in during the build up and follow up. Mania might not change course nusiness wise, but what they do at Mania just change the business for the rest of the year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Oliver View Post
              'Moving the needle' for WWE is a myth in the modern age.
              I really don't think that's true. The Network is doing fine, but has stagnated. The TV deals are what they're thriving on...until renewal time.

Overall viewership is down, live attendance is down week-to-week, they're having to cancel house shows because people aren't coming to them.

They've focused so hard on making the brand into the draw that they don't have that one guy, or group, or program, that people are willing to say "I'll pay my money to see that", regardless of what else is on the card. In five years, they haven't had that guy that people want to see so badly they offer refunds if he's not going to be on the card.

WWE's got about four years until these deals are up, probably only two before their back in negotiations for the next round, and they don't want Fox or USA to regret their offers. They certainly don't want Fox to shuffle Smackdown off to FX, or FX1 or even worse FXX.

They're riding high on that TV deal and Saudi money, but if they don't find some needle movers soon then four years from now they might be in a situation where they have to take what they can get for TV like they did when they went from Spike back to USA.
              https://youtu.be/wue-ZFnEta8
              My latest (and hopefully last) Covid-Era show

Comment

• Another big hint in the last few weeks that the Rousey return could be coming sooner, rather than later.

Comment

• From Nattie's social media....

Comment

• I didn't know there was something from Nattie - this came directly from Rousey.

That's two big hints, then.....

Comment

• What did Rousey say?

Nattie has been having cryptic tweets about who she is training with, hinting at Rousey.

Comment

• Bit of a mix - Instagram photos of her back in training with people, and some quotes about her coming back soon (but not to the full time 200 date schedule she was on before).

Comment

• I wonder, if she came back now, who she'd end up going against. Becky's not given birth yet, so presumably won't be ring ready for Mania season if she does come back afterwards. Charlotte's out having had some elective surgery, with the rumours being that she could be back by the Rumble.

You could bring Ronda back now/soon and have her vs Asuka or her vs Sasha - the former has more interest for me, especially after Ronda stole the moment from Asuka in the first women's Rumble, as I think WWE can build a good story around that as the kicking off point.

I'll be honest, I kind of struggle to see who would take the titles from Asuka or Sasha right now and not be an overall step down.

Comment

• I would love to see Rousey vs Asuka.

or vs Sasha.

But I think vs Bliss would be fun, with Bliss' new association with the Fiend.

Or hell...even vs Rhea Rilpey.

Comment

• Sasha will drop it to Bianca. Bank on it.

Raw.... leftfield prediction that Mia Yim will get it.

Comment

• Mia Yim will get the Asuka match, or will get the Rousey Match?

Comment

Working...
                                X