Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is he healthy? I haven't seen much about Okada lately without people mentioning some injury.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Comment

• I think they've been saying that he's been dealing with maybe a back injury? He was scheduled to wrestle Ospreay at the Dome next week, though.
      https://youtu.be/wue-ZFnEta8
      My latest (and hopefully last) Covid-Era show

Comment

• I have no idea what shape he's in, but I imagine if they have to duct tape him together they'll get him out there!

Would love to see them take a chance and put the belt on Shingo.

The '92 Rumble! The Brain's Finest Hour!

Comment

• So apparently there's some frustrations amongst the NJPW crew. To the point where, while his neck injury is legit, stripping Ospreay of the belt might be due to him wanting to leave the country in frustration with sudden scheduling changes.

I guess the foreign wrestlers are frustrated that they were told they could go home due to the Japan state of emergency, only to have that changed at the last possible moment as touring we set to resume. Apparently there's also frustration with the whole roster, native and foreign, that they're expected to bubble, similar I guess to what ROH does, but guys are still testing positive.

I get that frustration, I truly do, but I think guys need to understand the nature government restrictions. As someone who books events, both wrestling and large scale non-wrestling, I can tell you that the nature of changing government rules are such that there are times you need to postpone your event with days notice, or suddenly find out that you are indeed allowed to run events you had previously postponed with only a few days notice.

I guess they could let the foreign talent go home and push ahead with that native talent, but then I'd imagine those same guys would be bitching that they weren't getting paid because they were sent home.

All in all, it seems to be a bit of a bad situation within the company though. I doubt anything will come of it. If you're a Japanese wrestler, are you going to make the same money going to NOAH? And if you're a foreign wrestler, are you going to go somewhere else and make the same money?

If the story of him dropping the belt because he is frustrated and wants to leave Japan is true, and you're Gedo, do you ever look at Ospreay as a top Champion again? Do you chalk it up to understandable frustration and misunderstanding, or do you just say that this guy is unreliable to do business? He seems like the guy they wanted to peg as that possible next big "cool" white star to possibly help them break into the western market, like Kenny was, but now that could be out the window if you can't trust him not to throw a tantrum and goo home.
          Last edited by Team Farrell; 05-22-2021, 03:20 PM.

Comment

• Man, I hope Shingo wins this!

Also, I love Hiromu.
            Last edited by Oliver; 06-07-2021, 07:21 AM.

Comment

• Shingo, baby!

Comment

• Love that Shingo won. I haven't been following NJPW tooooo close this year but I've been hearing buzz for Shingo on the regular, more than for Okada's recent work. Might as well strike while the iron is hot. Also as a fan of his Dragon Gate work, it's awesome to see him elevated to such a high level.

Comment

• I'm glad they went with Shingo. New Japan has had a tough last 18 months both financially and in terms of internal turmoil. Conventional New Japan wisdom says that when in doubt, you go with The Rainmaker, but they went with making a new big star instead. I'm happy to see it. I'm also happy to see Shingo go from the LIJ's junior replacement for Takahashi when he went down, to the IWGP World Heavyweight Champion.

Comment

• SHINGO!

Comment

• I hear Ospreay has shown up again?

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Comment

• MY GUY SHIBATA IS BACK!

Comment

• Very happy he's doing well enough that he can do a fiver with Sabre, I'll have to make a point to watch that at some point. Just for the love of god, don't let him headbutt anybody!

Comment

• I ordered Wrestle Kingdom 16 off Ospreay coming back as the real world champion and being slotted into night 2.

Really enjoyed this exchange from two old friends...

sigpic

Comment

• Anyone watch the NJPW US stuff? After seeing some of the names involved, I've been tempted to check it out. I am hoping it's more NWA than AEW but with a stronger in ring product than what Billy Corgan puts out.

Comment

• I watched a bit of it but haven't in a while. When I was watching it wasn't very angle heavy and a lot more focused on what happens inside the ropes. It was definitely treated seriously like a sport and had a strong in-ring product.

You aren't going to get much in the way of backstage vignettes and New Japan's storytelling tends to be a little different from what we're used to in North America, but Kelly and Koslov are usually pretty good at filling in the blanks and back story to explain why what's happening is happening.

The thing that gets me is that it often looks indy compared to the Japan shows. I mean, it is indy as a promotion, but I just don't know that they have small buildings like they run in Japan readily available across the US.
                                Last edited by Team Farrell; 04-20-2022, 01:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X