This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Japan General Discussion

Making this thread because of BOSJ talk and also because Hiroshi Tanahashi's movie is coming out this summer and its even more amazing than I thought. In "My Dad is a Heel Wrestler" Tanahashi plays a former ace who becomes a heel under a mask and his son sees him wrestle. Its based off a children's book and it looks amazing. I must see it.

Ok, I hadn't even heard of that but it looks like a lot of fun. I think I'll have to check it out too when I get a chance!!

The '92 Rumble! The Brain's Finest Hour!

Comment

All I knew is Tanahashi cut his trademark hair for the movie. Makes sense given he has to wear a mask.

Comment

It was such beautiful hair too... oh well, we all make sacrifices for our art.

I know I'm behind the times, but last night I watched the Golden Lovers/Young Bucks match from the American show they did in March. I was looking forward to the match and I did think it was good, but I was a little disappointed if I'm being honest. It was much more melodramatic than I expected, with a whole truckload of "how can I do a wrestling move on my friend?" moments, which is a trope I rarely get into. I'm guessing New Japan thinks American's are into that kind of thing, and based on the very positive response from most fans I guess they're right. Just not my taste, and I am a bit bummed that I feel like New Japan is moving farther away from the stuff I like.

Love what they are doing on a conceptual level, breaking into America in an unprecedented way and raising the profile of pro wrestling all over the world. I know people are loving this year's BOSJ so far, so I'll have to check out some of that when I get a chance.

Comment

In my opinion, I don't think New Japan had much say in the way that tag match was laid out. I mean, its not like they've done anything with it beyond that. And it played perfectly off being the Elite.

Personally, i really enjoyed that match and I was invested, because of the the Elite show.. I thought the match was too long is my only real problem . I also read complaints about Ibushi being a bit lost at times but he also got concussed in that match.

Speaking of American New Japan, The Cow Palace show hasn't sold out from last I read and there's no matches offically announced but in reading thoughts from the new New Japan CEO, I feel like they will do everything they can to sell the show out.

Comment

Yeah, I figured I might be missing something by not watching BTE, so fair enough. Ibushi looked fine overall to me, so if he did that well while concussed good for him. The only thing I noticed is that one big botch but the camera hid it pretty well.

I think once they start announcing who is actually going to be there, let alone actual matches, ticket sales will pick back up again. Cow Palace holds about 13,000 I believe so even if they don't hit a full sellout they could still have their biggest US crowd, but I think they've got a good chance of hitting it.

Comment

If it doesn't sell out, I think that says alot for what Cody and the Bucks have able to do by drawing buzz to what they're doing.. its not the same thing as New Japan trying to break into America but I do think the Cow Palace show has to have a strong card. A big title match that feels like it matters would help.

Comment

Even if you hadn't watched Being the Elite, the only sensible way for that match to play out was the way it did. The Bucks made it pretty clear after the Golden Lovers beat Marty and Cody on the ROH/New Japan crossover in February that they were a) insulted that Kenny and Ibushi believed they were the best team in the world and b) hurt that after all they had been through Kenny had seemingly abandoned them for his old partner. Kenny meanwhile didn't want to fight them for obvious reasons and Ibushi was kind of the middle man trying to keep Kenny's eye on the ball. Those would've shown through regardless of whether BTE had given the match an extra push. I think if anything that show, given how popular it is (I personally think it's an awesome show), more or less solidified that it needed to be a heavily emotional contest of two brothers who felt betrayed by their best friend.

As for the Cow Palace, I have no idea whether they'll get over 10K or not. I'm 99.9% sure that Kenny is going to be champion going in and Cody will be the challenger. It all makes sense. Cody beat Kenny at Supercard of Honor and Ibushi at Dontaku, which gives him a very strong case to be the next challenger (and also presents a reason for Kenny to want revenge). Okada has held the title long enough and the records he has left to break can only happen (or at least one of them can only happen) if he drops the title. Above all else it's just time for the title to go elsewhere and for Kenny to have a run. So I do think you'll see him vs. Cody at the show with Kenny retaining the title. The question is whether that's enough to sell out on its own and if not, what else can they put on there that will mean as much? A big reason I don't believe the show is selling well now is because most fans are anticipating the card will be like the last Long Beach show, which was okay but mostly loaded with tag matches that had no meaning. I think if New Japan fills the show with important matches/title defenses that look enticing, that will fix the problem.

Comment

Omega/Cody as the headline makes a lot of sense to me too, and it feels like that'll help sales. If they get Rey on the card, so much the better!

Fair enough about the Bucks/Lovers match, I suppose. Like I said, the response made it clear that style was a good way to go, it's just more melodramatic than when I usually look for in wrestling.

Of course, that still doesn't explain why Matt helped Omega do the One Winged Angel on him.

Comment

I don't think that was helping as much as it was goading. Matt was the one angered the most by Kenny's "betrayal", so it made sense given Kenny's hesistance that when he was having second thoughts about hitting the move Matt screamed at him to just get it over with. Sort of like how Rorschach screamed the same thing at Dr. Manhattan in Watchmen or any other countless number of times it happens in entertainment. So overall it made sense to me and I thought it was a pretty powerful moment overall.

Comment

Yeah, I liked it. Matt knew that the match was over. Nick's down, Matt's hurt, at that point he knew there was no winning, but Kenny had damn well better not take it easy on him.

There's a lot of layers there. Matt being angry, Matt knowing that it was over, and Matt wanting the respect from a man who's supposedly his best friend to treat him just as he would any other opponent.

After everything, especially with the respect angle, it would be downright disrespectful for Kenny not only to not hit Matt with his big move, but to think that he could finish him without it.

https://youtu.be/CuiN0s2cLEI
                      Check out this COVID era pro wrestling show I just produced.

Comment

I liked Lovers/Bucks.

I'm loving the shine they're giving Tiger Mask IV right now in BOSJ. 3 from 3, with YOH, Bushi, and Kanemaru dispatched already. I mean, part of me thinks they're just giving him wins over the people lower on the totem pole and it's a bit of luck that he's strung those three together, but he's only a couple of wins off from being right in there at the end, and I could see his bouts with Flip and ACH being coin tosses at the moment. I did have a feeling that Ospreay was going to run away with BOSJ this year and cement himself as the Junior Ace by winning it as the champion - and he might still do that, I suppose. But at the moment Block A looks pretty open unless you're Bushi.

Comment

In my defense, I'm pretty consistent about disliking that trope. I didn't even really like it in HBK/Taker. If a guy is hesitating, I'll pretty much always be cheering for the other guy to take advantage rather than put themselves in harms way. But yeah, I did still like the match, I just didn't love it like I hoped I would.

Ospreay's upside is obvious, but I'm hoping it's finally Hiromu's year. I feel like he's overdue and a win for him would be more meaningful than another one for Ospreay.

Comment

It's neither of their years. There's a reason New Japan gave Taiji Ishimori not only a big debut but a pretty convincing win over Ospreay (the only time Ospreay has lost a match to a fellow Junior this year). He's winning this shindig, allowing Ospreay a chance for revenge at Dominion before they move onto Rey-Ospreay at the Cow Palace. After that I can see Hiromu getting the belt back, though I wouldn't be surprised if they waited till Wrestle Kingdom to finally pull the trigger.

Comment

I'm ok with Ishimori getting the nod. It's a little surreal that after being off the radar for quite a while he's finally getting such a high profile spot, but I think he can do a lot with it.

Comment

Working...
                              X