Thoughts on WhatCulture Wrestling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on WhatCulture Wrestling

I’ve been following both their articles and their YouTube videos on and off for a number of years. I feel that while they have quite a bit of knowledge of wrestling history that the knowledge came from watching old videos and never saw angles and the rise and fall of wrestlers in the moment. This paints a revisionist history of those wrestlers and angles that don’t quite sync with the reality of events. Also, the lack of a comment section on their articles makes it look like they want to present these narratives unchallenged. It’s really turned me off to their brand of “Remember when?” journalism, but every once in a while, I was nostalgic and try to look up old wrestlers and storylines on Google. Invariably the rabbit hole leads back to WhatCulture and their revisionist history. How do you feel about their articles on wrestling and wrestling history?

They're immersed in British wrestling and it seems to paint every opinion that they have. I don't find them to be particularly smart to the business, and their ideas would often only appeal to the most hardcore of hardcore pro wrestling fans, which they are.
    https://youtu.be/wue-ZFnEta8
    My latest (and hopefully last) Covid-Era show

Comment

I don't watch much of their history stuff but I enjoy the podcast reviews and round tables they do, particularly the AEW stuff, Michael Sidgwick actually started writing here in the Column Forum before going off to other sites and ending up at What Culture.

That said, like all commentators and fans the have their own biases and I would say it skews pretty anti-WWE at times.

Any particularly egregious examples you would like to point out Pumpernickle?

Also if you like classic wrestling you should check out The Legacy Series Podcast or one of the history series in the Columns Forum. Rob recently finished one looking at WCCW.
      Last edited by SirSam; 02-10-2021, 06:43 AM.

Comment

I just read their article on "Stables You Probably Never Heard Of", and they defined WCW's "The Dead Pool" (ICP, Vampiro, Raven) as not being over and being broken up after a month because they weren't over. To the contrary, The Dead Pool were very over. I remember their Nitro match vs Lash Leroux, Norman Smiley, and Prince Iaukea in 1999. The crowd was HOT. Also, the reason they got broken up was because ICP were difficult to work with and they were sent home and Raven went back to ECW. Bob Ryder on "WCW Live" said that Shaggy could have been a CW Championshp contender if the duo got their act together.

They also said that Raven looked like he wasn't happy to be there when that was his gimmick...he was a brooder.

I wonder if they were thinking about "The Dark Carnival" incarnation that came around in 2000. Now that stable got zero heat.
        Last edited by The Perpil Pumpernickle; 02-10-2021, 08:02 AM.

Comment

What I find is that they've bought in to the "lol WCW" attitude pretty hard, when it actually wasn't as bad in 99/00 as people make it out to be.

I was actually a gigantic WCW fan in 99 and 2000. I was 11-12 in that timeframe, so Vince Russo's influence in 2000 fell right into the sweet spot for me to love it. In 97/98 I was a big pro wrestling fan, but a lot of the Russo stuff in WWE went a little over my head. By the time he got to WCW I was primed for it.

The problem with his booking -- and don't get me wrong, there were many -- was that I'm not sure he recognized that NWA/Crockett/WCW had fans that wanted something different than what the WWF fans wanted. When Crockett was taken over by Turner, they installed people who tried to make it more like WWF, because that was what was successful in the mainstream, and things started to tank.

Fans in the traditional NWA territories liked realism in their pro wrestling. Bischoff stumbled onto an updated version of that realism with the NWO and people using their real names, etc. Then Russo tried to make it more "WWF" again, because that's what he knew, and pushed realism to the point of being "inside" so that if you weren't following every thing everywhere there was to follow behind the scenes, it became difficult to keep up and once again alienated those traditional NAW/Crockett fans.

It's actually an issue that I have a little bit of with AEW. A lot of times it feels like if I don't watch three vlogs, keep up with the history of PWG and follow the right Twitter accounts it gets hard to follow at times.

But for a 12 year old from Canada that shit was off the charts. However, I definitely would have outgrown it in a year or two, which I guess was Russo's butter zone in WWF, too.

Now, I don't know how much What Culture actually believes what they say, and how much of it is what they know their fans will like. As I said, they're very tied up in that British Wrestling, ironic comedy scene. So how much shitting on WCW is because that's the funny, ironic comedy thing to do, and how much is because they actually believe that stuff was the shits?

...I'm also embarrassed to say that I thought ICP in WCW was pretty damn cool when I was of the right age...
          Last edited by Team Farrell; 02-10-2021, 12:51 PM.

Comment

I liked their stuff a few years back. I know they had a scandal with Adam, who was their funniest contributor, so he left. But the void after that has not been filled, other than by Simon Miller. And any site that gives the online equivalent of a BJ to Tony Khan doesn't get my attention. There's a lot of obvious hypocritical forgiveness for AEW from a certain anti-WWE segment of the IWC, and when a site showcases too much of that, I stop visiting.

They can be funny, and their "things you didn't know" series was must watch for me. But I don't care about their opinions of today's product, and after watching a years worth of their content, you can see everything coming a mile away.

I also hate how they'll do top 10 lists, and make you click through 10 pages of only 5 paragraphs. I understand why they do it that way, but as a reader, I don't have the patience for it.

Comment

With the way the comment section treats some of my stuff on AEW I'm surprised you're still around here PEN.

Comment

I haven't clicked on the main page since I was removed as a writer many moons ago. Forums only for me.

Comment

Honestly, it's just not a style of wrestling website/writing I like. The whole 'here's ten things you never spotted about the Royal Rumble 2001' or '10 stars that NEED to leave WWE' is just fairly bland and 90%, maybe even more of those things, are stuff that people would just nod and agree with. I'm not saying it needs to be some kind of 'Controversy = Cash' thing for me to get invested/interested in, but when your list of 10 stars that need to leave WWE is basically the first ten almost everyone would name within 30 seconds then reading through it is just boring, especially when it's so high level in delivery as to only be 3/4 short paragraphs long which doesn't give you anything to really think/discuss about.

Otherwise it's just news that I could read pretty much anywhere else, and if I was really interested in the Twitter interactions between Ryback and Curt Hawkins I would follow them on Twitter. Except I wouldn't because I'm not on Twitter, but you know what I mean.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Farrell View Post

Now, I don't know how much What Culture actually believes what they say, and how much of it is what they know their fans will like. As I said, they're very tied up in that British Wrestling, ironic comedy scene. So how much shitting on WCW is because that's the funny, ironic comedy thing to do, and how much is because they actually believe that stuff was the shits?

When you come down to it, that is one of the huge turn-offs for me. That British-style rapid-fire smug and snarky take on the subject at hand where they skewer whatever it is they talk about, but have nothing else in their writing wheelhouse to counterbalance the style, so it ends up sounding like a constant bad comedy routine. Levity used sparingly is very effective. Now if someone could tell WhatCulture this, they’d be in a better place.

Comment

COACH, about bashing WCW, I think it's a cultural thing. As much as we mock Vince for being so US oriented, WCW was even more so. Very US specific and targeted. As I recall in Montreal Canada, they barely promoted their WCW house show, and because half of the roster was allowed to do TV only, it was a very depleted show. Headlined by Hogan vs Jacques Rougeau, I believe. Nothing wrong with that, it's actually very locally focused. But the product in general was very very American. And while Canada isn't the US, we certainly have an higher American influence and association than the rest of the world. So I'm guessing that there's a reasonable disconnect between UK and WCW. Just a theory, but I know as a Canadian, I felt detached from WCW in many ways. I'm sure WWF having the Hart/Canada VS US angle helped them.

WCW also ended up failing, there's no way around it. Judging by their age group, they likely weren't watching at the time, and WWE is just as revisionist about the WCW VS WWF war as WhatCulture has shown to be. If they get their history lessons from the WWE Network, then that's another reason they slant against it.

All that said, I love when Simon Miller would pronounce WCW with the southern twang.

Comment

Yeah, I could see that. Traditionally, more of that east side of Canada was very AWA/WWF influenced as well. Manitoba, Ontario and Quebec were very strongly influenced by those two companies. Shit, Toronto was one of WWF's biggest cities. Quebec a little less so because they had Lutte Internationale, but even that had the AWA/WWF influence of guys like Andre, until WWF eventually just raided their talent.

So the farther east you went in Canada, the less I could see WCW really resonating. I could only imagine that amplifies when you get to the UK that really had next to no traditional NWA influence and a taste in entertainment much closer to what WWF has to offer.

I sometimes forget that these people making YouTube videos legitimately might have no first hand memories of WCW. I still feel like I'm really young at 32, but if you're under 30 you might never remember having seen the company.

Comment

That's the thing with anything opinion based: you're not going to please everyone. Powder just claimed WWE/NXT should change how they book Grimes because AEW wouldn't book him that way. Everyone believes that everything should be aimed at them, and no one else.

WhatCulture does their stuff well enough that they are internationally known, and even had a wrestling promotion at one point. That's pretty incredible. And they did that by being very smarky and humourous. AEW is a huge success for going in a direction that WWE refuses to go. Just because it's not my thing doesn't mean they should change their way or that it's wrong. It's working for them, and WhatCulture is the same.

Comment

Originally posted by The Perpil Pumpernickle View Post

When you come down to it, that is one of the huge turn-offs for me. That British-style rapid-fire smug and snarky take on the subject at hand where they skewer whatever it is they talk about, but have nothing else in their writing wheelhouse to counterbalance the style, so it ends up sounding like a constant bad comedy routine. Levity used sparingly is very effective. Now if someone could tell WhatCulture this, they’d be in a better place.
                            I guess that's where it comes from, though - it's a British website designed by British people. It's never not going to be in a British style. They probably could do without leaning on the comedy crutch too much, but equally it's their bread and butter.

I never caught much of the actual wrestling company they launched and ran for a couple of years with YouTube being where they made it available, but I think that then pivoted into DEFIANT wrestling before being wound up - was it any good, does anybody know?

Comment

Some of it was okay. They used a lot of names, and people who are talented, so they in-ring was going to be good. But also featured the people from their website.

It was kind of an extension of the website, in that if the super inside, irreverent nature of their videos appealed to you, you'd probably like the product. It made no effort to be seen as "real", everyone was playing characters and that was clear. You probably weren't going to get The Freebirds blinding JYD to draw gigantic houses, but you probably weren't going to get Katie Vick either, so maybe it's a wash.

Comment

Working...
                              X