No announcement yet.

Rare/Underappreciated Promo Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm going through all the WWE Network archives in chronological order, and am in late 1985 currently. And Macho Man's character work REALLY stands out. I was too young, and only got into WWF while he was a babyface, probably during the MegaPowers era (those are my earliest memories). But his introduction, how he worked the heel managers, introduced Elizabeth, did his promos, and the best highlights are his sitdown interviews with Vince and Lord Alfred on TNT have been the best part of all I've seen. He was a great heel, but you can see why he'd turn face eventually. He was teaming with Jesse Ventura for a bit and the way they complimented each other was astounding. Lots of this era's programming was lacking, but Macho Man really was a star in the making, and it's nice to watch organically after the fact.

Comment

I absolutely love the TNT segment just before the Elizabeth reveal where Heenan, Blassie, and Jimmy Hart are all trying to convince Savage to be their client.

The '92 Rumble! The Brain's Finest Hour!

Comment

Managers vying for a key free agent's talents is a great trope that you don't see anymore because of the lack of suitable managers. I'm just too young to remember them doing this with Savage, BUT, just a few years later they did they same thing with Bam Bam Bigelow when they brought him in and similarly he chose none of the above and brought Sir Oliver Humperdink in. Nowhere near the same effect, obviously, but if memory serves me correctly it was looking like Slick was all lined up to be Bigelow's manager and then they introduced Humperdink. Great TV with a great build and it made someone's arrival feel that much more special.

Comment

BK, closest we might get to that today is if all 3 TV brands for WWE have a GM who are looking to sign someone. Or maybe the Raw and SD GM are vying to sign an NXT talent... obviously not the same, but seems the most likely way we might reenact that awesomeness.

Comment

Originally posted by BK-097 View Post
            Managers vying for a key free agent's talents is a great trope that you don't see anymore because of the lack of suitable managers. I'm just too young to remember them doing this with Savage, BUT, just a few years later they did they same thing with Bam Bam Bigelow when they brought him in and similarly he chose none of the above and brought Sir Oliver Humperdink in. Nowhere near the same effect, obviously, but if memory serves me correctly it was looking like Slick was all lined up to be Bigelow's manager and then they introduced Humperdink. Great TV with a great build and it made someone's arrival feel that much more special.
            Ah that's such good shit! I mean Humperdink never seemed like a good fit, but the angle itself was solid. Along the same line I remember when Andre dropped Heenan they made a show of all the other heel managers trying to acquire him, but since Andre was a face again one by one he turned them down and usually make fools of them in the process. He never even wrestled again in the WWF but it was still a fun angle while it lasted.

Comment

They should have had. Bam Bam/ Humperdink match made in heaven
              See the latest of my Ric Flair saga click here. http://lordsofpain.tv/showthread.php...acock-(Part-2) View my story inspired by colorful wrestlers I've come across in my fandom. http://lordsofpain.tv/showthread.php...-the-Challenge

Comment

If anyone's interested in Mid-South, this comes just after they've shown a recap of The Midnight Express tarring and feathering Magnum TA. Few things to note in here from Magnum, Watts, and the young Jim Cornette really ramping up the 'mamma's boy' gimmick.

Apologies for tape quality - this seems to be an original recording rather than ripped from the WWE.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Comment

Still a nice find though! I admit I'm quite curious about seeing more Mid South, what I've seen has been very hot indeed. I was shocked when I saw a young Junkyard Dog, he remained very charismatic into his WWF run but the physical transformation from his peak to the WWF is pretty striking.

Comment

https://youtu.be/qQoMLRMxVJc

Scott Steiner both foreshadowing his big bad booty daddy gimmick and prophesying in unknown tongues what wrestling will become
                    See the latest of my Ric Flair saga click here. http://lordsofpain.tv/showthread.php...acock-(Part-2) View my story inspired by colorful wrestlers I've come across in my fandom. http://lordsofpain.tv/showthread.php...-the-Challenge

Comment

Honestly though a Shawn Michaels/Scott Steiner match in 1995 would have probably been amazing!

Comment

I always forget about the Steiners being in ECW for a bit.

Comment

That six man they did with Eddie against Foley, Too Cold, and Dean Malenko is freaking fantastic!

Comment

I can only imagine. I might need to seek that out.

Comment

I highly recommend!

Comment

Not his all time best, but everyone should have some Gary Hart in their lives

Comment

Working...
                                X