Brian Cage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brian Cage

Brian Cage is still getting a pretty big push. I think they're trying to shift the emphasis in Imapct so that they've got a number of people who feel like they could take the title at any time, and there's no doubt Cage is one of them. Watching him in a four way right now and he's clearly being presented as the biggest star.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

I think Cage is a really special talent. He's built like a tank but he's incredibly agile as well and can shock you with what he can do the first time out, and then again many times over. He's a guy I would push to a top level in pretty much any company in the world. He's got a few overly indy tendencies, if you will, but those can be ironed out with good agenting and presentation.

The '92 Rumble! The Brain's Finest Hour!

Comment

Boy, not a lot of activity in here in the last year. But anyway, dropping in because I saw he'd been rushed to hospital following the match with Johnny Impact.

Comment

There's not much conversation around Impact these days no matter how much better they're doing. Ah well! Good on Cage for capturing the top title in Impact, even if he messed up his back to do it. Can't say I'm really interested in the Cage/Elgin program they're running next though.

Comment

As if to prove what you're saying about the lack of chatter about impact, that's honestly the first I'd heard about Elgin turning up there.

Comment

Maybe time to move this thread? I guess Cage will get more discussion now he's not in Impact anymore.

I also visit another forum and people there are saying he'd be a good choice to beat Moxley. Personally I think it is too soon for another title change but you can see the merit in going to him down the line, if they can get him hot enough that is.

Comment

Oh man, I'm a big Cage fan but I feel like they'd be insane to put him over Moxley. First off it feels too soon for anyone to go over Mox, and secondly I don't think Cage is hot enough to be their champ. To challenge, definitely, but I hope they wait until they have someone with undeniable momentum before doing the title switch.

Comment

Thirdly, most people have no idea who he is.

Comment

That's pretty much true of everyone involved in wrestling not called John Cena, The Undertaker, or Vince McMahon (unless you still count Ronda Rousey as involved with wrestling).

Of course, I am nitpicking. Most people haven't heard of either Dean Ambrose or Jon Moxley, but it's still way more than have heard of Brian Cage, I grant you that. That said, the numbers are so small that going with people that are wider known doesn't seem to have made much of a difference so far, either.

Comment

Almost everyone that has had some sort of role on the main rosters of WWE have more of a profile than anyone. I will be completely honest. If I was not on these forums for the last 15+ years, I would not have known about the Elitie (sans Cody), and they are the biggest stars in AEW that did not come from the WWE.

Look at the biggest names in AEW: Moxley, Jericho, Cody, Hager, Brodie Lee, Dustin, Billy Gunn, FTR,. They all had major roles, major story lines, and all are former champions in the WWE, with 1 being a HOFer, 1 who is in the top 10 of all time, and 2 potential HOFers. Everyone else, may have made a name in Japan or on the indies, or on Impact. But Impact does not make stars either.

Sorry to say it, but prior to AEW, if you were not in the WWE, you were a nobody in wrestling except to the die hards and IWC.

AEW has been building up people in the correct way, but throwing another guy who most people who were like "Who?" into the main even the day he debuts was not a great idea.

it would be akin to if Jordyn Grace suddenly debuted in AEW to challenge for the women’s title. I would bet that almost no one knows who she is and she is the current Knockouts Champion. But she does not have name recognition.

we always tak about how small the NXT audience is and when they debut on the main roster that they need some proper build to have the main audience for the WWE get to know them. Same thing with AEW, but they are taking people from much smaller promotions than NXT with a much smaller audience and fan base and throwing them into top programs. I will be honest again, me a smart mark, a long standing member of the IWC, at times has to google people to find out who they are in AEW.
                    Last edited by Powder; 06-12-2020, 07:33 AM.

Comment

You're not wrong in general, but you're also overestimating just how many people know even the WWE guys, here. There's literally a handful that more than 1 in 3 people have even heard of. So, yeah, WWE guys are better known than the other people, but they still aren't really known that widely. This isn't 1999 anymore, y'know? And when even they aren't really stars, you have to wonder how much difference it makes.

Comment

I think the level of credibility of WWE names holds something for a debut. For example, when people hear Matt Hardy and Luke Harper debuted on Dynamite, you'll get some extra eyes on the next Dynamite. But I highly doubt those eyes will stick around just for those names. It'll take AEW putting on a good show to hook people into tuning in the next week. It's the same theory as using Mike Tyson. You can get people to tune in with his name being thrown around, but if the rest of the show isn't to their taste, it means they won't tune in again (until maybe Tyson is mentioned again).

Comment

They hold something, for sure, but the question (or at least, the point I was raising) was how much it holds. That is I suppose where the distinction with Tyson comes in - he's got about as close to universal name recognition as you are likely to get, while the vast majority of WWE talent can't claim that (and their most recognisable names are, Cena aside, people famous twenty years ago). And if Tyson can't prompt much of a change, you have to wonder how much it really matters whether the champ is someone who was in WWE and has that little bit of extra recognition, or Brian Cage, or if Ryan Smile out of Preston City Wrestling debuts and wins it in his first night.

I dunno. I guess what I'm saying is the basic principle being espoused here is sound, but when dealing with the relative popularity of Moxley vs Cage it sort of feels like bald men fighting over a comb. The people who are going to watch are going to watch anyway. Virtually no one outside of the wrestling bubble could pick either of them out of a line-up. Yeah, there's a handful of people in the bubble who know Moxley (or Harper, or whoever) who don't know Cage, but that's about as far as it goes.

Comment

I personally think there's a bit of a difference between a Matt Hardy or Jon Moxley, and Mike Tyson.

Tyson might get some curiosity viewers but I think it's diminishing returns, if more than a one time thing. I don't necessarily think Mike Tyson fans are going to watch week and and week out to see him do a program or a match with Chris Jericho on a "fake, dumb wrestling show" in 2020. But they'll tune in once or twice out of curiosity. If the match was his next advertised appearance, it would probably work. If it becomes multiple appearances over months, eventually the novelty wears off.

Hardy and Mox are a little difference because if you're a pro wrestling fan of either of them, you might stick around for weeks or months just because they're already fans of wrestling and like those guys.

Wanna put the belt on Cage? Fucking sure, why not? He's already a star to the people already tuning in, and they've shown no interest in appealing to others. I personally wouldn't do it, just because Mox hasn't held it very long and he just spent a month without physically having it. And I probably wouldn't flip the top belt without real fans in the building.

But it wouldn't be unprecedented. Back in the day if you were a top guy in other territories, you'd be pushed as a top guy in a new territory despite people not necessarily knowing who you are. Traditionally, if someone like a Brian Cage comes in you can smash him over as a top guy and fans will buy it because it's legit.
                            https://youtu.be/wue-ZFnEta8
                            My latest (and hopefully last) Covid-Era show

Comment

Did Brian Cage miss the show last night? I saw he tweeted out something about being sick, and then deleted it.

Comment

Working...
                              X