Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AEW - Non-Wrestling (Business, Money, Ratings etc.)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Really curious to see how Rampage does. The way they are teasing bringing Punk in on that show instead of Dynamite seems to indicate they are serious about making it significant, but on a Friday I wonder if there's a hard ceiling on how well it can do.

The '92 Rumble! The Brain's Finest Hour!

Comment

• Originally posted by Prime Time View Post

Another 1.1 million. Stable again. Probably about where they should be now there's no competition, but obviously they'll be glad to have gotten there after that spell of underperforming it.

90,000 in the UK for the show broadcast on the 30th July, so again, doesn't seem to be translating. Obviously, though, more important that they are up in North America.
      I wonder how the imminent CM Punk debut will affect ratings over here in the UK, as well as the rumours about Daniel Bryan. I've already had one mate ask me what channel and day and time Dynamite is on when I told him Punk is pretty much guaranteed to be appearing soon so maybe that'll increase the viewers.

Comment

• If they're bringing Flair in, I say give him five Impact World Title reigns (belt is useless anyway) just to beef up his world title resume.

That was a joke. I read that the Black/ Cody feud was Tony’s idea. From what I’ve read about it: Black attacked Arn and then he and Cody got in a lot of brawls. Where’s the outrage for what happened to Arn, the reason why, the promise for revenge?

When I hear Tony talk he sounds repetitive, basic, and shallow, let’s things run out his mouth without them spending anytime in his head.

AEW needs a good booker.
        Last edited by Benjamin Button; 08-13-2021, 01:36 PM.
        See the latest of my Ric Flair saga click here. http://lordsofpain.tv/showthread.php...acock-(Part-2) View my story inspired by colorful wrestlers I've come across in my fandom. http://lordsofpain.tv/showthread.php...-the-Challenge

Comment

• Originally posted by Prime Time View Post

Another 1.1 million. Stable again. Probably about where they should be now there's no competition, but obviously they'll be glad to have gotten there after that spell of underperforming it.
          This past week - 989,000 (-10%). A big enough drop that it's noteworthy, though still broadly around the same sort of mark.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Comment

• Originally posted by mizfan View Post
            Really curious to see how Rampage does. The way they are teasing bringing Punk in on that show instead of Dynamite seems to indicate they are serious about making it significant, but on a Friday I wonder if there's a hard ceiling on how well it can do.
            1.13 million, as it turns out. Obviously a big uptick on their previous Friday shows but nowhere near the more optimistic efforts.

Americans - how head-to-head, exactly, is Rampage with Smackdown?

Comment

• Looks like Wednesday is only the same as Friday. It seems right now, they’re wearing their spunkiest panties but only turning themselves on. I think it’s more on how uninteresting Punk’s being used than Punk. Had a friend who never tuned into AEW call me and he liked the segment but didn’t want to see CM Punk vs the skinny guy with the skeleton paint. Throwing him against Darby without a good story hurts Punk more than it helps Darby.
              See the latest of my Ric Flair saga click here. http://lordsofpain.tv/showthread.php...acock-(Part-2) View my story inspired by colorful wrestlers I've come across in my fandom. http://lordsofpain.tv/showthread.php...-the-Challenge

Comment

• Dynamite with a 1.17 million.

Just to follow on from what Benny was saying - you would think, if the Friday night rating represented growth, that the Wednesday night rating would show some sort of improvement. What it looks like is that any gains were either minimal or fleeting. My guess is that a few extra people did watch on Friday but didn't stick around for Wednesday. The alternative reading is that virtually no one extra watched, just that AEW is so hot right now within the group that the increased ratings recently are because more people can't wait to watch the show on catch-up.

Since Road Rager, they've settled in to between 900,000 and 1.2 million on a Wednesday night. Obviously a much broader range with the 740,000 for the first Friday night show and more than a million for the second, but having shot that bullet and not seen much of a movement for Dynamite - well, it's not like there's another CM Punk out there to pop a rating again. Going to have to be done by booking well enough to get people interested.

Comment

• You know, I haven’t watched anything since that CM Punk thing, and as it stands I’m not interested in Daniel Bryan either… If Punk had been involved in an interesting story, it would be a great way to bring Bryan in…

But something occurred to me… We’ve all assumed Punk is a better acquisition because Punk has been gone so long, while Bryan has been booked poorly.

But isn’t it possible Punk appeals to the loudest minority, while that Yes movement legitimately brought in a lot of people in a positive way?

What if instead of trying to make Daniel Bryan a surprise, they started with vignettes, whatever photos and footage they can get of Bryan (without having him speak) and repackage him in his best light before bringing him in? They could have other people sharing what an influence he’s been on them. Then, he makes his debut as the best Daniel Bryan he can be…

Comment

• I actually think the reverse is true, regarding Punk/Bryan and who they appealed to.

That said - if you present anyone better than they were in WWE, it sort of stands to reason their upside might be a lot bigger. The question is - is that something they can pull off?

Comment

• As it stands, no. I think they seriously need a booker. Not a bunch of TV creative people but a booker. Wouldn’t hurt to use that older lot as agents either.

Jim Ross made a statement about friends and foes huddling around waiting for someone to jump on them. Do you guys think non AEW fans tuning in are more turned off by the obvious cooperation or more turned on by the flip? I think it’s the former. I think people want to simply see people who feel like stars do something that looks like a fight for a compelling reason.

Comment

• I tend to agree with you there, Ben. In fact, I always think if you created a wrestling product that I couldn't watch - then your audience was necessarily going to be limited, given how much time I'd devoted to wrestling over the years. Of course, now the reverse might be true - if you can get me to watch wrestling you must be doing something right!

Anyway, here's a catch-up of recent ratings.

Rampage 27 Aug: 722,000
                        Dynamite 1st Sep: 1,050,000
                        Rampage 3rd Sep: 696,000
                        Dynamite 8th Sep: 1, 320,000
                        Ramgpage 10th Sep: 670,000

Rampage trending down but last week's Dynamite was their second best ever. Punk and Danielson seem to track individually to a couple of ratings spikes. Not massive ones, but relatively big given the size of their crowd anyway.

Comment

• It's interesting that Rampage is trending down while dynamite is up and down. But I read Danielson vs the Elite segment did very well.

Comment

• This past Wednesday was 1,175,000 for Dynamite (-10.9% on the previous week).

The peak segment was apparently populated by Danielson/Omega, and FTR/Sting & Darby, though even that was down on the headline figure for last week.

Nevertheless, they've stabilised over a million.

Comment

• While I lean towards ignoring most of what he says, Tony Khan has highlighted the massive uptick Punk has brought with him, in terms of merch sales as well as viewership.

Comment

• Giving a quick update on recent ratings.

Rampage 18th: 642,000 (-4.1%)
                                Dynamite 22nd: 1,280,000 (+8.9%)
                                Rampage 24th: 640,000 (-0.3%)

Comment

Working...
                                X