CM Punk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Oliver View Post
    So given that this case has been found in favour of Punk and that there was no defamation of Amaan - which I, a non-legal person, would interpret as essentially saying that Punk's statements were broadly true - surely that means WWE are open for something from Punk now too? Like I said, I'm no legal person, so have no idea how this works, but it seems there's still a lot of love lost between the two.
    My experience is all from media law classes that I took a number of years ago in school, but if I recall it doesn't mean that they've determined what he said was true, but that even if it isn't it didn't defame Amann's character or cost him money or standing in his profession.

I think what sunk him in the end is when he said that he didn't believe that it impacted his standing in WWE or how people viewed him, and that it hadn't cost him money. The crux of his argument was that people were attacking him on Twitter and holding up signs at show.
    https://youtu.be/wue-ZFnEta8
    My latest (and hopefully last) Covid-Era show

Comment

I am a huge Punk fan and I will be at All In, so I would love to see him appear. If he appears to set up something with either Cody or Omega that would probably be able to fill a 20,000 seat building; which I would also do my best to attend.

Comment

I wouldn’t say the ruling means Punk’s statements are true, it’s just really hard to prove libel. The doctor didn’t lose his job or any earnings I’m aware of because of the comments, which would have factored.

Comment

The doctor also admitted he didn't keep good enough records of Punk's antibiotic history, spoke at (albeit limited length) with other wrestlers about Punk's history which according to Colt Cabana's lawyer is a borderline HIPPA violation, admitted that he and WWE kept Punk in the 2014 Royal Rumble for over 40 minutes after he was concussed and had every witness in the thing that wasn't working for WWE, from Cabana to AJ to Punk to the physician that cut the lump out of Punk's back state that Punk had what he claimed. Certainly it appears Punk exaggerated some details of the lump (it was not as big as he claimed in the podcast and no one has any idea if it was MRSA or not because he never went back for a follow up test) but it's clear he had the lump (there's a video on YouTube where he shows the scar and the indent it left for crying out loud), that Amann hadn't treated it properly and that about 95% of the stuff Punk claimed was true. So it wasn't just that libel is hard to prove; anyone who reads notes from these court proceedings can see Amann was an idiot who handled the whole thing wrong and on top of that didn't lose any sleep or jobs over it. I'm pretty sure this only went to court because WWE backed him on it (as Punk and Cabana seem to believe) out of spite and look how that turned out.

That's pretty much why, while I cannot dismiss it entirely because duh, I can't see Punk and WWE ever working together again, outside of maybe a Hall of Fame thing. Even if WWE didn't bankroll Amann's lawsuit it doesn't matter; the important thing is that Punk believes they did AND that he believes they tried to mess with his upcoming UFC fight because Amann's team filed for delays repeatedly that pushed the trial back to the last few weeks (it was originally supposed to start a week earlier). And that's before you get into all the stuff about his fractured relationship with Triple H, the sequence of events that led to him leaving and to this trial, going after Cabana (his best friend) for no reason other than he gave Punk the platform to tell his story and the bullshit like him being fired on his wedding day. If you were him and one entity did that to you (or you believed they did) why would you ever go back? I understand the "they all go back" statement...except we know that's not true because, for whatever reason, Randy Savage never returned. I think Punk is the Savage of this generation (fitting as he idolized Savage); he's the one guy who never returns and never mends fences with WWE. Maybe I'm wrong and there's a part of me that wouldn't be stunned by it but I just can't see how, after all that's happened, Punk personally would ever be able to look beyond that to smooth things over, especially since he doesn't need or value money as much as others did.

Now will he wrestle again? Absolutely. I've always believed he'd get back in the ring outside of WWE, it's just a question of when. I still don't know when and I don't think he knows. He certainly seemed more open to it in that interview with Ariel Helwani from Wednesday but then he was back to shutting it down yesterday. That sort of inconsistency tells me that, while he may be closer than ever before, he's still not quite ready yet. Whether he'll be ready come September for All In or for another event like All In 2 down the road, time will tell.

Comment

I don't think he wrestles this year. He could show up at ALL in but he's not working a match. Maybe ALL in 2 but that won't be til 2019.

Comment

Yeah, I wouldn't rule out a return somewhere but it doesn't feel exactly imminent, does it.

I can't say that I think it's inevitable either. If I had to bet on it and actually stake money I'd say yes but unlikely in the next 18 months - possibly longer depending on how the fight goes tomorrow....

I did see that Mickey Gall who beat them both actually picked Punk to win this one....

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Comment

As long as he doesn't come back with an MMA gimmick I'll be happy with wherever he goes ends up I think.

As for the fight, he really should win this one, it is the closest thing the UFC could have done to a gimmie match. If he can't get through this one I dunno if he will ever wok a match on the ufc.

Comment

If I was Punk I would be saying "Fuck You" to WWE in every shape and form. How petulant can you get firing him on his wedding day and scheduling that court case to fuck with his MMA prep. He really trampled some egos in WWE the way he left if they are still trying to fuck with him 5 years later. I say fair play to him, he knew what he was worth and left them holding their dicks. He sure as shit doesn't need them anymore.

As for MMA, I was chatting with a friend the other night who's quite the boxing/fighting enthusiast who reckons Punk is one of the worst fighters he has ever seen. I don't know how good this Jackson lad is but unless he really sucks and Punk has gotten significantly better in the last 2 years then I would fear for Punk. My big hope for him is to get in there and have a proper go at it this time round. In a perfect world would love to see him win and get his ass back on the indy scene!

Comment

With fighting Punk is far from the worst guy to ever tape his wrists. In his first fight though he was a beginner who would normally be fighting at an ameture level on a regional circuit but because of his profile got on a huge card.

He has been training for two more years so it will be interesting to see how he has developed.

Comment

After seeing Punk's fight with Jackson, he should never fight again tbh. Jackson toyed with him on the feet and that's only reason it went the distance

Comment

I saw highlights of the fight and I have to agree. That didn't look very good, and he's not getting any younger either. I'm not sure if his name will still have enough marketing power for one of the major MMA companies to want to do business with him again.

Comment

And now Corey Graves on his twitter is taking shots at Punk without naming him. Seems very personal. About Punk turning his back on his friends

Comment

Considering how Graves looks like the most pretentious asshole in the world for tweeting this, if Punk did turn his back on Graves then I wouldn't blame him; who wants to be friends with a guy who is going to do this to you?

Comment

The fight was embarrassing to watch. Kept turning away and wishing it was over. Jackson should have wanted to finish it more.

Comment

Have to share. Almost feel bad doing so:

Mike Jackson, while you stand there, as triumphant as you possibly can be, I want you to stop hitting me. I want you to stop this, because before I leave in three weeks with an 0-2 win-loss record, I have a lot of bones I wanna put back into place.

I am the worst…UFC fighter…in the world. I’ve been the worst ever since day one when I walked into this company, and I’ve been bleeding and crying since that day because the UFC fans saw nothing in me that everybody else was willing to admit. That’s right, I’m a WWE Universe guy. You know who else was a WWE Universe guy? Brock Lesnar…and he split, just like I’m splittin’, but the biggest difference between me and Brock is that I’m going to leave with a 0-2 win-loss record.

I’ve tapped to so many of Mickey Gall’s painful punches and Mike Jackson's pure strikes that it’s finally dawned on me that they’re just that...they’re completely painful. The only thing that’s not painful is me, and the fact that day-in and day-out, for almost 3 days, I’ve proved to everybody in the world that I am the worst…on this panel, in that octagon, and even in training. Anybody can touch me! And yet, no matter how many times I prove it, I’m on your lovely little Tapout collectors’ gloves, I’m on the cover of the program, I’m outrageously promoted, I don’t get to be in UFC 204, I’m not on any crappy show on the USA Network anymore, I was on the poster of UFC 203, I’m no longer on signature that’s produced at the start of the Raw. I’m not on the Joe Rogan Podcast, I’m wasn't UFC 204, but the fact of the matter is I shouldn't be anyway, and trust me, this isn’t sour grapes, but the fact that “Mike Jackson” is in the winner of our match at UFC 225 tonight and I’m not makes me sick!

>I’m leaving with the 0-2 win-loss record on July 17 and hell, who knows, maybe I’ll go defend it in Bellator…maybe I’ll go back to WWE…hey, John Cena, how you doing?

“How great the tremors will be when the judge comes."

Comment

Working...
                                X