No announcement yet.

CM Punk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Despite his flaws, there's something about Punk. He could have easily never returned at all, or returned for likely a bigger paycheck with WWE, so you have to think he has something in mind to make it worthwhile.

The '92 Rumble! The Brain's Finest Hour!

Comment

• Originally posted by mizfan View Post
      Despite his flaws, there's something about Punk.
      Yeah, this is it. You do sometimes get the impression that some of his biggest fans think he has no flaws, which is obviously not true. But at the same time, people on the other side of the argument seem to massively overcorrect and end up underplaying what he's got going for him. He's one of the few - and in the modern landscape, the very, very few - with that intangible that you can't really measure. That's ultimately the most important thing about him, far more than how good (or otherwise) he is on the stick or in the ring.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Comment

• Exactly. Even the heralded MITB match with Cena wasn't particularly smooth but it didn't have to be for it to be as special as it was.

Having said that, it'll be interesting to see just how well that immeasurable intangible works now because the level of in-ring smoothness or "workrate" has gone up since he was in his prime 10 years ago.

Comment

• I honestly hope that Punk and Bryan can have a proper feud. The one feud in the WWE was shit and an afterthought

Comment

• Originally posted by Powder View Post
            I honestly hope that Punk and Bryan can have a proper feud. The one feud in the WWE was shit and an afterthought
            Really? I remember it being really good. Can't say I have negative memories of it, at least, even with the AJ Lee involvement.

Comment

• It involved Kane, and was second fiddle to Cena and People Power.

Both Punk and Bryan were not happy about it.

Honestly, if they do feud in AEW, I do not know who should turn on who. Both are great faces, and both are great heels.....

Comment

• If you have to turn one of them it shouldn't happen soon then.

Assume everyone has seen the little nod to Bret vs 1-2-3 Kid Punk threw in to his match with Darby?

Comment

• There were quite a few, weren't there? The early armdrag spot, the hammerlock, the suplex reversal, and I think even Darby's senton off the top to the outside.

Comment

• Put that together with the match restart in MJF/Jericho and you've almost got the whole match!

Seriously, it was great to see him back in the ring. For how long he's gone I wouldn't have blamed him for being much rustier. He looked like he really enjoyed himself, which is nice to see on a guy who was bitter towards wrestling for so long.

Comment

• Yeah, it seemed like he was really getting into a groove by the end so it's not unfathomable that by the end of the year he could be right back at the top of his game.

Comment

• The thing that helps Punk is he was never the greatest athlete or had the flashiest moves, he most often got his matches over through personality and knowing how to engage the crowd in the story, and that's (I would think) easier to keep up with age than other wrestling styles.

Comment

• Mizzie, you are totally correct with that. And subsequently, I would love to see a feud between Kevin Owens and Punk for that reason.

Comment

• Originally posted by Powder View Post
                            Mizzie, you are totally correct with that. And subsequently, I would love to see a feud between Kevin Owens and Punk for that reason.
                            Well given the recent news I think you could be in luck, potentially as early as their Revolution PPV next February.

Comment

• I read.

However, If and when KO goes to AEW, I do not think he would be near a feud with Punk for a while. I believe that list is made already.

Comment

• I like what they've done with Punk so far. There are clearly big(ger) matches he could have, but they're using his pull to first off get Allin into a prime spot, and that guy outright deserves it after his past year, and now looking at a small feud with a group of younger guys in Team Taz(z). Perfect way to bring in and use someone like Punk, in my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                                X