Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bryan Danielson

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Bryan Danielson

    I figured that since I am doing a huge series on Daniel Bryan I should start a thread for him down here.

    He is the guy that brought me back to wrestling in 2014 and for that story alone he will always rank amongst my favourites however I'm discovering a whole lot of little gems as I go through my YES Relived series and learning a whole lot about Bryan.

    One thing he absolutely does not get enough credit for is his acting chops, we all know how good he is in the ring but the way he conveys emotion and character is one of the things I think makes him so engaging. Have a look at how his body language speaks volumes as he walks to the ring in this little gif, showing a great mix of anger, determination and adrenaline, what he is doing could be incredibly corny but comes off very realistically:



    Or a second one here where he is just pissed off at Steph, his body language is closed off and conveys his anger very effectively, obviously this is the peak of it all when it spills out and I wish I had more of this segment cut off because it is a real great master class in showing frustration without overdoing it:



    Anyway I'll try not to take over this thread with gifs from my series but wanted to kick us off with something. So let me know what are your fondest memories of Bryan and why do you love him?

  • #2
    What may be overlokked in your first gif is that Bryan takes out 2/3 of the Shield in one shot.

    Comment


    • #3
      Convincing argument there Sam. I'm not sure I agree he's a great actor though. To me he seems to have a range of two emotions - deliriously happy and face-crumplingly angry. But I'm not giving him the painstaking treatment you are, so I could be way off!

      It's just, certainly since his return to the ring, I feel like we're seeing just how unique a collision of talent, timeliness and happenstance his first run really was. I might be making a mountain out of a molehill, but it really shocked me that there was an audible generational divide in the crowd during his match with Rusev this last week - and it was the deeper voiced adult fans chanting for Rusev, not Bryan. Granted his comebacks got the whole crowd onside, but that kind of split, and that momentary desertion of the older generation of fans, would have been unthinkable four years ago quite honestly.

      Comment


      • #4
        @Powder of they get there own back, with The Shield back then it was a three headed monster that grew its heads back very quickly if you didn't get all three. Post this gif Bryan I'd about to walk into a huge spear.

        @Plan, you're not too far off the money, however there is also smirky Bryan who makes an appearance in the most recent column, he can be quick sarcastic. With the happiness and anger he has a few levels but the key is he does term so believably.

        Thsy is an interesting observstion about the fan divide, I suspect it was a unique thing because Russev is the hottest of all commodities right now in the IWC but it shows that perhaps Bryan isnt the focal point of fan hype he once was.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Samuel 'Plan View Post
          Convincing argument there Sam. I'm not sure I agree he's a great actor though. To me he seems to have a range of two emotions - deliriously happy and face-crumplingly angry.
          Let's be honest, being able to convincingly convey two different emotions makes you a great actor by wrestling standards.

          The '92 Rumble! The Brain's Finest Hour!

          Comment


          • #6
            Wow, Bryan almost had a ruthless Stone Cold vibe to him on Smackdown last night, the way he just kept on attacking Big Cass over and over again, even skirting around the refs to get to him. He was particularly aggressive with the knee that we all know was injured.

            I like it, certainly not a vanilla good guy that is for sure.

            Comment


            • #7
              I hate Daniel Bryan. He's my least favourite, most overexposed wrestler of all time. I find him unnatural on the mic, boring and repetitive in the ring (though acknowledge WWE has played a part in this) and as a babyface underdog he makes Rey Mysterio's storylines look positively innovative. I've written columns and columns about how he has no place in the main event and that's even more the case now he's returned. A man with a family, with his history, should not be taking the bumps and hits he's taking or risking his life after doctor's advice was overturned. I actually find it really selfish. I don't enjoy watching him. I wish he'd get off my screen and raise his family, rather than relive the same underdog story again and afuckinggain, with the occasional twist that he's a little bit angry.

              Before his injury, I preferred him as a heel and found him entertaining in Team Hell No. That's it. Since his injury, I just spend my time worrying about his health and hating his guts.

              Fuck Daniel Bryan.

              Comment


              • #8
                I'm sorry but I have to disagree with you about some of the things you have said there Nony. I'm watching a lot of Bryan stuff right now and he is no more repetitive than any WWE wrestler in terms of his signature moves and even as an underdog he just doesn't wrestle the same match over and over again. Take the most recent string I've seen. At Summer Slam 2013 he actually takes most of the offence in the match with Cena, wearing Cena down then surviving and eventually countering Cena's offence. The next match he has is against Wade Barrett in a cage which takes on a much more standard big man v small man formula but the next week on Raw, switches it up again, having a real back and forth, see sawing match against Seth Rollins.

                It is too early to judge what his current run will be like but so far it hasn't been too samey, although the proof of that will come when he actually has a series against someone instead of a one off.

                I can't say I don't share your concern about him injuring himself however I guess I have to trust in the doctors and the minor adjustments he has made to his in ring style show he is at least attempting to take things easier on himself (no suicide dives, landing on his feet after the corner drop kicks, no flying headbutt).

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by SirSam View Post
                  Wow, Bryan almost had a ruthless Stone Cold vibe to him on Smackdown last night, the way he just kept on attacking Big Cass over and over again, even skirting around the refs to get to him. He was particularly aggressive with the knee that we all know was injured.

                  I like it, certainly not a vanilla good guy that is for sure.
                  Exactly. Bryan needs that mean streak. This showed exactly why Bailey failed last year in the feud with Bliss, b/c Bailey didn't have the mean streak or get payback on Bliss.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Nony's takes on Bryan are so out there that they don't even look like English to me, haha. As usual, we'll have to agree to disagree.

                    Definitely dig the idea of Bryan taking the fight to a guy like Cass. Getting away from being the underdog in every story is a good thing in my book, Bryan is capable of being seriously vicious in the ring and tapping back into that is something I can appreciate.

                    The '92 Rumble! The Brain's Finest Hour!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Yeah I like that he slapped on a heel hook instead of just the normal Yes Lock, it is only a small thing in a throw away segment but it shows attention to detail.

                      And absolutely Bryan is capable of some really brutal stuff. Those matches with Nigel McGuiness get nasty.
                      SirSam
                      Member #25
                      Last edited by SirSam; 05-16-2018, 07:38 PM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I could never stand him and now even less than before. His breakthrough caused me to take a sabbatical from the WWE . At least now there’s a brand split.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by mizfan View Post
                          Nony's takes on Bryan are so out there that they don't even look like English to me, haha. As usual, we'll have to agree to disagree..
                          Going to have to second this bit of your post, Mizfan!

                          "The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by anonymous View Post
                            I hate Daniel Bryan. He's my least favourite, most overexposed wrestler of all time. I find him unnatural on the mic, boring and repetitive in the ring (though acknowledge WWE has played a part in this) and as a babyface underdog he makes Rey Mysterio's storylines look positively innovative. I've written columns and columns about how he has no place in the main event and that's even more the case now he's returned. A man with a family, with his history, should not be taking the bumps and hits he's taking or risking his life after doctor's advice was overturned. I actually find it really selfish. I don't enjoy watching him. I wish he'd get off my screen and raise his family, rather than relive the same underdog story again and afuckinggain, with the occasional twist that he's a little bit angry.

                            Before his injury, I preferred him as a heel and found him entertaining in Team Hell No. That's it. Since his injury, I just spend my time worrying about his health and hating his guts.

                            Fuck Daniel Bryan.
                            I'm going to have to echo the other people in the thread in that your views are just so out of the norm. I mean if you don't like him, that's your right, but I will take issue with the concern-trolling on your part about Bryan's health, which is just mistaken or disingenuous to say the least. He has gone through more testing and recovery than possibly anyone in wrestling history ever, with state of the art medical technology, treatments, and the expert opinion of virtually every renown person in the field in the country. He had said clearly beforehand that if they told him that it was dangerous, he would accept that and stay retired for the sake of the family. Guess what? He went and they said he was perfectly fine to wrestle. After he went to rehab, not a single doctor in the last year refused to clear him; they all gave him the okay. In other words, zero doctors out there think Bryan shouldn't be wrestling. It was on the strength of this 'streak' if you will, that he finally went to Dr. Maroon and asked what more he needed to do, and Maroon referred Bryan to the best expert on the topic (in Maroon's estimation), and told Bryan that if this guy clears you, I'll clear you because I have total confidence in his ability and expertise. That expert cleared Bryan, so Maroon followed suit and cleared him as well. So that's that. He's in no more danger than anyone else on the roster, and if you're really so concerned about wrestlers' health, there's half a dozen other guys whom you should be more concerned about, such as Cena, Angle, Taker, and so on.

                            The 'I'm just so worried about Bryan' nonsense needs to die. It has no more medical or scientific basis to it anymore (unlike 2016).

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Also, on Jericho's podcast, Bryan stated he's checked for a concussion after EVERY match he's in now and they talked about what to do if he gets another concussion etc. Which is also why I think Bryan will be signing a new deal with WWE because he came up with these safety plans himself.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X