Darby Allin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Darby Allin

No thread for Darby Allin? I am surprised, he is the only AEW person new to me to really get over with me

So far he has done nothing to stand out. He is too small, and without a cruiserweight division, he will fall into the abyss with Sammy Gueverra. Neither will ever make 'heavyweight champion'.

Comment

Eeesh. I dunno Powder. I agree that those 2 won't be world champion anytime soon, but Darby definitely stands out and has made an incredible impression. AEW fans are ravenous for something to get behind in that company, so some acts are overrated by them for sure. But Darby is a lot like Jeff Hardy in that he doesn't look like he belongs, but his "enigma" natural character is easy for the fans to get behind. He's just cool in a way most wrestlers never would be. The same way Daniel Bryan is just naturally easy to get behind because his real personality thrives, Allin's natural charisma and uniqueness will help him a great deal.

Comment

I really hope that I am wrong then. Truly.

Comment

To be honest, that's the first time I've seen anyone suggest he's made no impact. While I don't imagine it's spread remotely beyond their audience he seems to be one of the most popular - and well-spoken of - all the AEW younger talents.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Comment

Darby's one of my favorite guys going today and I think a lot of AEW's best matches so far have involved him. There's something really special about him in my opinion, the way he moves isn't quite like any other wrestler I've seen. The way he just throws himself into everything he does, physically and mentally, is incredible. Big charisma, love the black and white video promos he does, crowd loves him. Dude could go far if he doesn't fall to injury, in my opinion.

The '92 Rumble! The Brain's Finest Hour!

Comment

Maybe I am just jaded, or biased towards wrestler that are bigger, but he is just there. I am not saying he is small for the real world. 5'11" and 185lbs and he is in shape, but in the world of wrestling, he looks tiny.

I look at HBK, or Benoit, or guys that were considered smaller, but they were all somewhere between 210-225lbs, which is substantially larger.

So in my opinion, he can be charasmatic, or athletic, etc, but he is not making me remember him. Now in AEW there have been guys that I have never seen before, and they all have made me remember them.

MJF jumps out of your TV at you.
              Lance Archer same
              Hangman Page
              Luchasaurus - but for the wrong reasons
              Orange Cassidy - because of how different he is
              Scorpio Sky - athleticism galore.

Comment

To each their own, but worth remembering that Benoit and HBK were in an era where guys were often 300-400 lbs, which we just don't see anymore. Moxley is what, 220? 225? Jericho, Cody, Omega all in the same range.

The '92 Rumble! The Brain's Finest Hour!

Comment

Completely agree, and I am not saying that he needs to be bigger, but I compare him to MJF. MJF forces you to remember him. He, as I said, jumps out of your TV at you. Darby is a painted face, and a 'daredevil' in a company filled with daredevil type of wrestlers.

The Young Bucks, Scorpio Sky, The Best Friends, Sammy G, OC, Page, Private Party, Jungle Boy, Lucha, and somewhat Omega, and more all do what Allin does, so he does not stand out. If he was the only one to be that high flying athletic guy, then he would stand out. But he is just another guy that can do what everyone else does.

His gimmick, is also not that original, but that is ok, he just needs to make it his own. Again I go back to MJF, he is taking Ric Flair's 1980's gimmick and spinning it into his own. Allin just is painting his face and diving off the top rope and skateboarding.

Comment

My guess is that you're in the minority of seeing him as just another guy, based on all I'm hearing - even from people who don't gush about everything AEW does, there's more good words about him than almost anyone else.

The limited amount I've seen is not enough to judge. I will say from pictures I've seen I don't think he's too small but you can't really go any smaller.

Comment

Maybe it's just the distance I'm at nowadays but it seems as if he's lost his momentum, for whatever reason. There just doesn't seem to be the same buzz there now.

Comment

He's been on and off TV quite a bit over the last few months. He didn't appear for about 4 weeks after Double or Nothing, and now hasn't appeared since All Out. I wouldn't say he's lost momentum as when he appears you can comfortably imagine a loud pop if there was a crowd, but with him only being there sporadically he just doesn't get mentioned as much. At least that's how I see it

Comment

Darby is a guy they're being really smart and patient with.

They aren't putting him on TV unless they have a reason, and just having him work cold matches isn't a reason. I think this program with Starks is probably on the backburner until they get a little closer to Full Gear.

But it really does make him special when he actually shows up because you only get to see him sometimes. When you have the World Heavyweight Champion look down the camera and ask you to come be his partner, theoretically that's high praise. Plus, Team Taz constantly bringing him up not only keeps him in your mind, but reminds you that he must be important if they're talking about him when he hasn't been there for w few weeks.

Artists rendition:

Last edited by Team Farrell; 09-24-2020, 01:04 PM.
                          https://youtu.be/wue-ZFnEta8
                          My latest (and hopefully last) Covid-Era show

Comment

So what do you think Darby can get out of this thing with Punk? What'd the best case scenario, I guess I'm asking.

Comment

I think he can get a lot out of it and that he is still their best chance to make someone a bigger deal than they were coming in

Comment

Working...
                              X