Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I try. I usually tune in at some point on Wednesdays to see what is going on. Most of all of it, is bad to me. It seems, that the inmates are running the asylum. What I mean, it just seems that all the wrestlers do what ever story they want to do, and if they do not like it, they go out to the ring and cut a shoot promo, or go off script to air their grievances. TK want to be more of the friend than the boss.

Comment

• Originally posted by Oliver View Post

I do like The Acclaimed, but it very much feels like they are catching lightning with them - they're good but not great, yet the crowd is all in on them due to the simple catchphrase that's caught on and the pre-match raps. It's opportune - and rightly so - for AEW to put the titles on them, regardless of how good Swerve In Their Glory were as champions beforehand.
      Am I safe to compare it to Heath Slater and Rhyno winning the Smackdown titles, in the sense that it's the right move in the moment but not something meant to be a long term solution?

Comment

• I'd say The Acclaimed are miles better than Slater & Rhyno but I suppose you're right in the sense that I wouldn't have called them being tag champions 2 months ago. But it seems the "long-term" plans for the tag division were blown up when Jeff Hardy got another DUI as it seemed they were gonna become champions and have one more run through the summer.

I've enjoyed AEW for the most part over the last few months, in large part thanks to Jon Moxley doing career best work as the fight all-comers World champion that's pissed off at being called interim champion. And Jericho having probably his best in-ring year for over a decade and doing the best stuff he's done in AEW.

The whole drama surrounding CM Punk and The Elite has tainted them a bit from my POV but with MJF coming back and guys like PAC, Keith Lee and Swerve Strickland all stepping up a bit I don't see a major drop off in interest or quality, although I get the latter is very much a personal preference.

Comment

• Originally posted by PEN15v2 View Post
          Am I safe to compare it to Heath Slater and Rhyno winning the Smackdown titles, in the sense that it's the right move in the moment but not something meant to be a long term solution?
          I'd compare them maybe a little more to the New Age Outlaws (funny, since Billy Gunn is their manager). They've just gotten over completely organically between Caster's raps and "Scissor me" getting reactions. People genuinely want to see them succeed.

I think that their rise was so organic that even a month or two ago they weren't positioned to be legitimate Tag Title challengers.

They're both capable in the ring. Green, but capable. They might need a team that's a little more experienced to lead them, which unfortunately AEW doesn't have a lot of on the heel side of their tag division at the moment.

Dynamite's been weird lately. Not having the comedy input of Kenny and the Bucks has been nice. But there's always been one or two things that pop up for a minute or two and make me want to turn it off. I have no desire to tune in next week, it usually only happens because it's on where I'm at or I'm home on a Thursday night.
          Last edited by Team Farrell; 09-27-2022, 01:08 PM.
          https://youtu.be/wue-ZFnEta8
          My latest (and hopefully last) Covid-Era show

Comment

• Do you think Regal has maybe got one more match in him?

I'm me and just want to see Regal wrestle, would watch that forever, but I popped for him slipping on the brass knuckles and confronting MJF.

Comment

• Regal himself has said that he doesn't, but I suppose if the story calls for it he'll get himself ready to do something physical.

Comment

• I just want him to slap MJF and stretch him once. Just one Regal Stretch and one Knee Trembler.

I wonder if he could take a bump as well.

But the promo from last night - good lord. I want that match. And apparently it's not a case that he can't wrestle any more, it's that he won't. And that's fair enough, but in this storyline, after the recent promo work between he and MJF...it feels like there's an opportunity for it.

“I can get in the ring now and wrestle just as good as I ever did. In fact people are like, ‘You wanna stop a bit.’ Training, I can get in there and do that. I still train, do all my squats and push-ups that I never thought I’d be able to do. But I look like a 54 year old. I don’t want the memories of me – I can still wrestle just as good as I used to. In fact, better because I’ve got full circulation now after god knows how many years. I wrestled my son for an hour before Christmas in the PC in Orlando. I can wrestle. I’d rather that match with Cesaro be my final thing. ‘Elvis has left the building.’ That’s why Colonel Tom Parker never let Elvis do an encore. Don’t ruin it for myself. That was as good as a match as it could ever be for me to finish my career, and 30 years in, it’s somebody else’s turn now. Why ruin it?”

Comment

• SHIBATA!

MY MOTHERFUCKER!

Comment

• Is Shibata back, back? I thought his last two returns were grappling-focused exhibitions.

Comment

• The Narita match was kind of billed like that, then they had Shibata announce that they would just to 'pro-wrestling rules' right at the start and they had more strikes than with ZSJ.

I don't know how he wrestles a bout like that with Cassidy without taking some more 'normal' bumps. It's certainly an interesting choice for what will be Shibata's third match 'back'.

Comment

• He's taking bumps and doing things and it makes me very happy inside.

What was it, a 20% chance of just surviving? Can't believe he's actually well enough to even consider wrestling again.

Comment

• I dunno man, it makes me nervous and feel like AEW will let anyone wrestle. He's an adult that's free to do what he wants, but I had heard his match with Narita was supposed to be closer to what he did with ZSJ, but he went in to business for himself and Narita kind of had to go with him.

There's a reason they haven't let him anywhere near a ring at a show since.

I hope that he's healthy, and can get back to doing what he loves. But like with Danielson, it's going to be a while before I personally don't feel nervous watching one of his matches.

I saw the OC one. It was fine. Shibata kept it pretty safe and I still don't get OC. The around the world headscissor gimmick where he domed himself made me cringe. Mechanically, most of his bumps were picture perfect and incredibly safe. He was in control of almost everyone that he took, himself

A Shibata that's not throwing headbutts and is working a little smarter would be great to have back.
                          Last edited by Team Farrell; 11-07-2022, 01:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X