MJF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, I thought Meltzer WAS AEW’s PR.
    See the latest of my Ric Flair saga click here. http://lordsofpain.tv/showthread.php...acock-(Part-2) View my story inspired by colorful wrestlers I've come across in my fandom. http://lordsofpain.tv/showthread.php...-the-Challenge

Comment

Playing around youtube, I watched some videos of MJF's best heel moments, and best promos etc.

I know that when his contract is up, the WWE will definitely pursue MJF, but my question is: Will the WWE allow MJF to be MJF? No he does not have to curse or raise the middle finger, but MJF clearly is a heel who does and says really obnoxious things that the PG/family friendly WWE usually does not allow since the Attitude Era.

So will MJF allow the censorship and clean up his act somewhat, or will he remain in AEW here he can do and say as he pleases?
      Last edited by Powder; 04-27-2022, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Will depend on the amount of money they come with, I would imagine.

If I was him I might stick around and back myself that the longer I keep on the road I'm currently on, the more the offer is going to be down the line. But that's easy for me to say, because they're not knocking on my door.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Comment

Originally posted by Powder View Post
          Playing around youtube, I watched some videos of MJF's best heel moments, and best promos etc.

I know that when his contract is up, the WWE will definitely pursue MJF, but my question is: Will the WWE allow MJF to be MJF? No he does not have to curse or raise the middle finger, but MJF clearly is a heel who does and says really obnoxious things that the PG/family friendly WWE usually does not allow since the Attitude Era.

So will MJF allow the censorship and clean up his act somewhat, or will he remain in AEW here he can do and say as he pleases?
          Yeah, I reckon they might let him rub the ashes of someone's dead wrestling manager across his chest, say.

Comment

I get your point, but that was back in 2013, and while, yes the WWE was still in the PG ERA, it was only one incident.

Comment

We're only a couple of months removed from Edga threatening AJ Styles' family. Rollins invaded Edge's own home trying to find his family before now. Bron Breakker's dad just got kidnapped on NXT.

MJF can certainly work very, very easily as an obnoxious piece of shit heel in WWE and come across as just as hated as he is in AEW.

Comment

What I mean is that MJF cuts deep with his promos, and blurs the line between kayfabe and reality more than anyone else in recent memory. I love it BTW, this is not a knock on hum, but a compliment.

And watching some of his promos, I just cannot see Vince approving much of the content for the PG kiddies.

MJF is an old school piece of shit heel, with a modern flair. And IMO he is either the best true heel in the business right now or at the very least in the top 3. We all know that Edge and Roman are playing characters on screen, but you believe that MJF is that fucking asshole he portrays on camera. So again will Vince allow MJF to be that type of true asshole, or will he tone down MJF to a more family friendly product?

To paraphrase Prime: Money talks, and if MJF wants the WWE money, he will abide by their rules, but it all depends on what MJF wants to do.

Comment

I think Vince will 'let' him, ultimately, is I guess what I'm trying to get at. This is the same Vince that has 'let' both CM Punk and Samoa Joe go after Jeff Hardy's history, has 'let' The Usos reference the Paige sex tapes in promos against The New Day, and I'm sure many other instances.

WWE know the worth of the people they spend money on. They know exactly why MJF is getting the praise and profile he is, and they'd be hiring him based on that. They aren't going to suddenly stop that unless he completely goes off kilter on a promo.

Comment

I don't think the Paige comment was approved by Vince, judging by how quickly that line was edited out of YT and replays.

That being said, this run for Cody will be telling. If Cody gets freedom, and succeeds, then MJF will likely get freedom as well. I know their approaches are different, and Cody has a previous relationship with WWE that MJF doesn't have. But, we're potentially seeing the return of WWE striking while the iron is hot with new talent, much like they sometimes did with WCW. The Radicals, XPac, Vader, most of the Invasion talent (Booker primarily), Big Poppa Pump... It's happened before, and COULD happen again. Not everyone is a DDP, Cactus Jack, or Faarooq story.

Comment

The thing with MJF is that he goes there because he is allowed to, but he's good enough that he doesn't have to go to certain things to get over. WWE probably won't let him say some of what he says, but probably in large part because a lot of what he says can be pretty "inside".

He would come in, his promo would still be head and shoulders above everyone else, and he'd still be very biting within WWE's standards.

Telling Brian Pillman Jr. that his mom should have swallowed is a cutting line (although I've heard that one a thousand times before MJF said it on TV) that he wouldn't be allowed to use in WWE, but there were a million things he could have said about Pillman's parents that would have gotten an equal reaction without getting crass.

MJF is still very young, and going crass to get heat is natural when you're young. Being the young "better than you" douchebag you'd run in to at a pub in a college town, it works. But it won't work forever.

One thing he'll hopefully realize before too long is that it gets even more heat when you deliver the biting lines, but with class. You're "better than them", so you don't have to stoop to that level. Nick Bockwinkel always had that air of "better than you", but did it with class. Eventually he'll be old enough that some of these crass lines feel like the jock who peaked in high school and is still trying to hold on to his prime, as opposed to a young douchebag kid speaking disrespectfully.

One thing that got Bockwinkel so much heat was that he kept his composure almost all the time. He was so much "better than you" that fans and other wrestlers couldn't get to him no matter what they said or did to him. Part of the heat was trying to get him to lose that composure. The pop for the babyface came when they finally got him to show that he was pissed off.
                      Last edited by Team Farrell; 04-29-2022, 12:21 PM.
                      https://youtu.be/wue-ZFnEta8
                      My latest (and hopefully last) Covid-Era show

Comment

For me, it's less about what he is and isn't allowed to say and more about the environment itself. Unless it's changed a lot in the couple of years since I quit watching, WWE had largely created a structure where things don't really matter all that much. Now, AEW isn't perfect in this regard - they'll lurch from things being serious to irrelevant and dumb in the same show, based on all I've heard.

But there is a difference between the two and I guess until he proves that he can hit the same levels in the WWE environment there's always going to be some question about it. And again, it's not so much about what you can and can't say, it's more about the intangibles of the show, the structure, the 'feel of them', than this.

My gut is that he'd be able to do well enough to justify the money, but that pushed into the new structure you'd end up losing something and there is a link between the presentation style, and his appeal. But we'll never know for sure until it happens.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Comment

Everything he's doing and saying is the smartest thing he can do for himself to be offered the biggest and best possible deal in 18 or so months so can't criticise him for that. Whether he'd be "better" in WWE or not is probably more down to individual fans opinions of each company and what his strengths and weaknesses are.

Comment

I think he'd enjoy the actual work in AEW more. He's a big deal, could be champ at any time, and probably has a lot of fun and freedom with the promos.

It'll be up to him to decide, but the potential for bigger money and stardom would be in WWE. That likely comes with less freedom, and it would be risky to see if he could succeed under Vince. The fun would be subjective. So maybe he'd enjoy that more. Bigger results with much more scrutiny. IT could be a Pat Buck scenario where AEW guys move to WWE, make their money and achieve a dream, and then go back to AEW to enjoy themselves.

I haven't enjoyed AEW, but it's hard to imagine the overall locker room morale is lower than in WWE. I'm likely skewed by all the online reports and dirtsheet propaganda, But in the end, I think there is a "big fish in a small pod" feel to AEW that's' really enjoyable. If your perspective is just North American wrestling, than AEW isn't all that much smaller than WWE. That's the consensus in IWC circles, and I can see that. But WWE is massive worldwide. There's no doubt a draw to being a big dog in WWE that isn't matched by headlining AEW. It might not be for everyone, as CM Punk and Danielson are proof of.

But I wouldn't be surprised if MJF feels he's accomplished everything he could in AEW by the time the contract is up. Even if he hasn't had a title run, or wins it 2 months before the contract is up, I suspect he'll feel that when that title run is over, he'd have reached the limit. I'm probably being WWE fan hopeful in my thinking. But look at Moxley as an example. I'm sure he's having fun in this BCC group, and I doubt he really wants to go back to WWE after everything he's put out outside the ring over the last 3 years. But if you look at what he has left to accomplish in AEW, there's not much. Maybe a heel run as champion? If someone is thinking along these lines, then the desire to go to WWE might outweigh the fun and freedom.

Anyways, it'll be up to MJF and any talent to figure out. AEW or WWE, I might only watch one promotion, but I'll be happy for their success anywhere. Mox is a great example of that.

Comment

I would imagine that his freedom would probably be dependent on how fans react to him, similarly to Cody.

If he came in as Victor Anderson with heavily scripted dialogue that he wouldn't say, it'll be rough. If he came in, like Cody, with little changed other than being PG-ified, he'd do great.

I don't think he's working anyone when he says he'll go wherever the money is. The kid's 26. He could push for a ridiculous contract from WWE, make as much money as possible and invest it, and then enter his 30s with fuck you money and the ability to do whatever he'd like.
                              https://youtu.be/wue-ZFnEta8
                              My latest (and hopefully last) Covid-Era show

Comment

What I really love about his character, is that he and his parents get it. They all clearly love the business.

There are plenty of time when MJF's parents are at a show with a sign like this:

Comment

Working...
                                X