Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prime Time
    replied
    My predictions for the team, game etc. all a mile off.

We might be talking about the game on 4ATB before too much longer, so stay tuned....

Leave a comment:

• Freeman
    replied
    Bizarre team selection from Southgate today so I now expect England to win 3-0.

Leave a comment:

• Prime Time
    replied
    Haha, let me rephrase then - I want them to do well, too. I just won't really feel very much if they don't.

I am less bothered by Villa results than I used to be, but they can still ruin an a few hours with a bad showing. But at international level, I think even if we go out in the groups I'll probably shrug it off quickly.

Leave a comment:

• Gooner
    replied
    Oh well, that's where we differ, I want them to do well! Haha

Leave a comment:

• Prime Time
    replied
    I don't think there's a single gimme in the group. Scotland is the kind of weird game that throws up odd results. Wasn't that long ago the Czechs beat us. And as you say, the Croatians will be a tricky proposition and is probably the hardest game. So with that in mind - if we're going to go out, might as well have some fun!

That probably is too reckless for Southgate whose job, place in history all kinda depend on it... but I'm sort of over being bothered by how well or not England do.

Leave a comment:

• Gooner
    replied
    If Croatia wasn't the first game but the third, I'd go along with that. Confidence is crucial at these tournaments and I can imagine if we went gung-ho against Croatia and lost, that would knock confidence and then probably also make Southgate go a more cautious route for the next two games. On paper you look at Croatia and think we should be beating them, but it's not as easy as that. They're a perennially underrated team, always have been. While it's not the Croatia of 2018, it's still a tricky team to beat.

Leave a comment:

• Prime Time
    replied
    Yeah, in reality I'm expecting a 5-man defence so one of James or Trent (or Tripper, I suppose) would have to start as well, and I'd be bloody staggered if Mount doesn't start.

I want them to play a midfield with both Mount and Bellingham alongside either Rice or Henderson. They won't, he's going to take the cautious route and go with the two of them and Mount, with Bellingham off the bench. But I'd love to see the two of them in the side along with Grealish and Foden on the wings. Try and play teams off the park and if we go out, go down swinging.

Leave a comment:

• Gooner
    replied
    I looked at those numbers, and if i'm not mistaken, Mount is 19, same as his chelsea shirt number? If so, he may have requested it.

It's purely for Uefa purposes anyway. I'd expect maybe 7 or 8 of those to start the first game.

Leave a comment:

• Prime Time
    replied
    It certainly looks that way - with him taking all 4 Right Backs you have to imagine Walker - or one of the others, if not - is in as a CB.

I wonder if there's an argument for playing Mings, given how weak at the back we've been. He's got major issues of his own but the one thing he does is make other players around him better. That could be beneficial with a Stones in there.

Trent made it, despite early rumours he was going to be cut. But with the number 22 shirt I wonder if that tells us something about his starting prospects?

If we played with the first 11 shirts it'd be a surprise, though.

1 Pickford

2 Walker
    3 Shaw
    5 Stones
    6 Maguire

4 Rice
    8 Henderson
    7 Grealish

9 Kane
    10 Sterling
    11 Rashford

I don't think anyone expects Grealish to play in midfield? I'd have thought Mount would get the nod there and Grealish might be further forward?

Leave a comment:

• Gooner
    replied
    In a back three Walker is almost guaranteed simply for his pace, I would have thought.

Leave a comment:

• Prime Time
    replied
    The rumour out there is that Ramsdale, White and Godfrey could all be for the chop. Which makes me think that one of the RBs is in the frame more as a CB? Walker, maybe?

Leave a comment:

• Gooner
    replied
    Oh hang on, I've forgotten a GK will definitely be dropped, Ramsdale most likely.

So swap him for one of the CB.

Leave a comment:

• Prime Time
    replied
    Originally posted by Prime Time View Post
    I do tend towards the conservative when it comes to these things.
    Maybe it's just me tending back to this quote, but if neither Godfrey nor White go.... it's a bit bold for me, not going to lie. I don't mind leaving some of the CB cover to full backs, but almost all of it is another matter entirely.

Leave a comment:

• Gooner
    replied
    Final squad to be announced today. Mason Greenwood is confirmed out with an underlying injury from March. That opens the door for Saka potentially.

Also hearing from numerous news outlets that Trent is going to be dropped. Same for Lingard.

Prediction for the seven dropped:

Greenwood
    TAA
    White
    Godfrey
    Lingard
    Ward Prowse
    Watkins

Last edited by Gooner; 06-01-2021, 06:34 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Prime Time
    replied
    Agreed, as long as they are fit.

I'm less worried about the full backs because I think of them all as decent options. It's the good kind of headache. Not unlike which combination of the wingers we take. Do you know what? I'm not sure there's a really bad choice. They're all high quality IMO.

CB and GK are really my only concerns, and there's not much you can do about it because the players that would solve the problem... well, they just don't exist. So pick as well as you can and hope!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X