No announcement yet.

Euro 2020 (in 2021)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Obviously I have a bit of a vested interest through Soucek and Coufal, but this Czech team look like they could go a fairly long way in this tournament.

Comment

I agree, Croatia have just equalised, but overall the Czechs look a tidy side. Outside bet for quarters if they get through in 2nd place and play the winners of Group E.

EDIT: Well, that was a disappointing result for England, albeit somewhat expected as the nature of these games are never easy. Scotland played well, they could pull off an upset against Croatia.
      Last edited by Gooner; 06-18-2021, 05:07 PM.

Comment

I thought Scotland looked the more likely to nick a goal actually. Bit disappointing that England only mustered up 1 shot on target with all that attacking talent in the team.

Speaking of which, Harry Kane doesn't look right to me at the moment, seems to be slowing down the attack somewhat.

Comment

He doesn't appear fully fit, no. I agree, Scotland looked more likely to score.

Comment

What do ye make of Kane lads? Has to be dropped for the next game I reckon. Far too big a risk after those two performances.

And I'm not knocking him. He doesn't often go through bad spells but when a striker is clearly out of sorts the go with someone else. Rashford and DCL provide two excellent alternatives.

He needs to mix it up I reckon. He has Bellingham, Grealish, Saka and Sancho all mad to get on the field. Would be awful shite if they messed up against Czech Rep and 6 or 7 of them didn't even get a look in.

Comment

Originally posted by Shee View Post
              What do ye make of Kane lads? Has to be dropped for the next game I reckon. Far too big a risk after those two performances.

And I'm not knocking him. He doesn't often go through bad spells but when a striker is clearly out of sorts the go with someone else. Rashford and DCL provide two excellent alternatives.

He needs to mix it up I reckon. He has Bellingham, Grealish, Saka and Sancho all mad to get on the field. Would be awful shite if they messed up against Czech Rep and 6 or 7 of them didn't even get a look in.
              All of this. I'd be tempted to go with this team in the next game:

Pickford

James Maguire/Mings Stones Shaw

Phillips
              Bellingham Mount
              Sancho Grealish
              DCL

That team shouldn't lose to the Czechs, but if you're struggling you could always put Grealish in the middle and take advantage of the very productive Rashford/Shaw partnership on the left.

Comment

I'd still pick Kane to be honest and if he's not having a great game then hook him off after 60 minutes. I just can't ignore the fact that he's arguably our only world-class player. And it only takes one goal to get him going. Furthermore, the service to him has been fairly poor (especially vs Scotland) and he did create the space for Sterling's goal against Croatia.

I would however make a few changes still

Pickford
                Walker Maguire Stones Shaw
                Phillips Mount
                Sancho Grealish Foden
                Kane

EDIT: Billy Gilmour has tested positive for COVID19 - I suspect some England players may be sweating on that as it can take a few days before a test result comes back positive. Though of course no one got near Gilmour during the game so maybe nothing to worry about! But still, joking aside, that's a hammer blow for Scotland.
                Last edited by Gooner; 06-21-2021, 06:59 AM.

Comment

I'm not sure I'd make a lot of changes, to be honest. I'd probably give Kane a run out here with the idea that maybe he can get himself a goal before the knockouts. But if he doesn't there, radical as it is you might have to consider dropping him (though I'm not sure I like any of the other options there and might consider a false 9).

I think the defence is going pretty well, and I don't know that I'd make any major changes there. I don't think Maguire is so much better than Mings that when the latter has the shirt and is playing well, you have to pivot back to Maguire immediately. I'd probably leave them as they are. I don't think any of the full backs have played themselves out of contention as yet either, so how you choose to start there is still quite open (maybe a run out for Chilwell at some stage?)

I think the only person I'd be dead set on giving a run out to is Jadon Sancho.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Comment

I agree that Kane should start against the Czech's and apparently he will be. However I would make changes elsewhere with Sancho definitely coming in and maybe switching out one of Rice/Phillips for Bellingham or Henderson. Defence has been perfectly fine in both games so I'd keep Stones/Mings and probably James/Shaw too, although if Maguire doesn't play some part tomorrow then it really will have been pointless bringing him. I think he'll come in for the second half or last 30.

Comment

Chilwell and Mount are both out for coming in close contact with Gilmour. Chilwell won't get his run out but it'll be interesting to see who gets the nod in place of Mount.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Comment

Yeah I can see that costing Chilwell any involvement in the tournament now. As for replacing Mount? I'd say bring Grealish in and play him in the no.10 or put Foden there and move Grealish wide

Comment

Originally posted by The Cook View Post
                          Defence has been perfectly fine in both games so I'd keep Stones/Mings and probably James/Shaw too, although if Maguire doesn't play some part tomorrow then it really will have been pointless bringing him. I think he'll come in for the second half or last 30.
                          Yeah I kinda feel the same way, just I'd probably give Maguire the start and see how he is, but it's either or really.

I'd imagine it might be a straight swap between Grealish and Mount, with Sancho coming in for Sterling.

Also, thanks to results tonight, England have qualified for the KO stages as they have 4 points and cant finish lower than 3rd.

Comment

Saw that. England qualify without kicking a ball, nothing wrong with that.

Will be great for them to have the pressure off. Can see the merits of sticking with Kane but he could also just unleash Saka, Sancho, Grealish and Bellingham. Even give Ben White some minutes and make sure everyone else is fit and fighting for the round of 16. Mount, Foden and Sterling. Form aside, looking at their 2020/2021 stats they have played over 150 games between them. That's some going.

Probably other players in a similar situation. Great chance for Southgate to fine tune a few bits
                            Last edited by Shee; 06-21-2021, 07:07 PM.

Comment

England win in a match that I've seen people lambast as boring as well as other people describe it as composed.

Can't win eh?

Saka was superb tonight. I shouldn't be surprised as I've seen him do it all season, but he brought a lot of energy to the team and performed his defensive duties when needed, so his selection was completely vindicated. Grealish was great in the first half too.

Comment

Yeah I thought Saka & Grealish's performances in the first half were our best of the tournament. But then it seemed like Southgate told them to calm it down in the second half, probably because drawing or even losing wouldn't have been the end of the world as it would most likely result in an "easier" next game.

Thought Mings was unlucky not to start but also agree that Maguire had to play and he looked like he hadn't been away which is a major benefit because otherwise we'd have only had 2 centre halves play so any injury or suspension would've resulted in someone coming in cold in an important game.

Comment

Working...
                                X