MLB 2021 season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MLB 2021 season

We are now just about into a new MLB season.

Since Springer just signed with the Blue Jays....does that mean that Jackie Bradley Jr is the new target for the Mets?

Could be, I hear there's a lot of people looking at JBJ - including Boston, which makes you think if you want him, just go out and make it happen.

What are the other things I've seen people talking about..... Padres going big. Dombrowski to the Phillies. Cora back at Boston surprising no-one. The Yankees messing around before finally re-signing LeMahieu. New owners at the Mets and how that'll shake out. Oh, and Hank Aaron dying, although that can hardly be considered a part of the season.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Comment

Now that Springer signed...free agents are beginning to sign...Mets are back in the Bauer talks....

I do not think they will get JBJ or Ozuna....

Brad Hand to the Nats....

And suck about Hank.

Comment

Hey, Bobby Dalbec just hit his second grand slam of spring training.

Bauer ended up at the Dodgers, which I guess can't hurt their chances of going back-to-back.

Comment

Speaking of grand slams, last week (or the week before) a college kid in his first two at bats of his college career, hit two grand slams in the same inning! Matching Fernando Tatis' main claim to fame, and in his first two at bats of his college career!!!!

https://www.ncaa.com/video/baseball/...aseball-career

And Trevor Bauer, will not be as effective as last year if the MLB plays a regular schedule and not 'just playing' your own division. The NL central was the worst division in baseball last year and Bauer beat up on bad teams.
          Last edited by Powder; 03-17-2021, 02:24 PM.

Comment

I actually agree with you on Bauer, but then, playing for the Dodgers he doesn't have to be their number one guy - just needs to improve the rotation overall.

Comment

My word, after making the Orioles look like the 1998 Yankees for three straight games, the Red Sox have only gone and blown the doors off Tampa.

Comment

And the Mets already blew another fantastic DeGrom start. 74 pitches and they take him out. SMH

Comment

The Mets have never seemed able to make the most of DeGrom. They'll have to get their act together at some point or he'll want to move on, and you certainly don't want to be losing him.

Really didn't see us sweeping Tampa. Puts us back to .500, which no one would have guessed after that Orioles series.

Few teams off to a great start. Still too early to take anything for granted but Houston, Cincinnati and Philly all hit the ground running.

Comment

DeGrom is not going anywhere. We have him locked up for another 4 years, and if they didn't trade him 3 years ago before they signed him, they will not now.

And the Mets issues is still, not hitting with RISP and NO Bull Pen.

And good for the Sox!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Powder View Post
                      DeGrom is not going anywhere. We have him locked up for another 4 years, and if they didn't trade him 3 years ago before they signed him, they will not now.
                      Pretty sure the contract is for another four years, but he's only locked down for another 2. He can opt out after 2022, I believe.

Not that it matters. They'd be mad to trade him, so I don't see it happening. As I say, the original point was just he's a guy that you want to keep happy because you can build around a player like that.

Comment

Here are the details that matter:

Salary:
                        • 2021: $33.5 mil age 33
                        • 2022: $33.5 mil age 34
                        • 2023: $30.5 mil age 35
                        • 2024: $32.5 mil age 36
                        • Full No Trade Clause
                        • Player Opt-Out available after 2022
                        • $52.5M deferred ($12M in 2020, $13.5M in 2021, $15M in 2022, $12Min 2023)
                        • 2024 Club Option: $32.5M ($15M deferred)

He would be dumb to opt out of after 2022. No one will give a 35 year old pitcher $30 million (or more) for another 3-4 years. DeGrom has a contract until he is 36 years old. If he would be 30-32 then maybe opt out and see what you can get, but at 35, not a chance. Especially when he is guaranteed $63 mil for those two years. Then once he is an UFA after 2024, the Mets will probably give him a 1-2 year deal.

Comment

I suppose it depends on how happy he is. I've seen players in all sports turn down cash because they're already loaded and want to win something - and I've seen teams in all sports drive up a truck full of money to get one or two years out of someone who can deliver a title. That wouldn't be new.

Anyway, I don't know why we're arguing about this - you think it's 0% chance and I think it's, what, 5%? We're pretty much on the same page as neither of us thinks it's likely. The important point that I made is that you'll want to keep him happy, and that goes not just for DeGrom and the Mets but for every club that has an obvious star in their ranks.

Comment

Completely agree, and they already started. Lindor 10 year $341 million is another good step. They will probably re-sign Conforto too as he is the best outfield FA after 2021.

Then they might sign Kris Bryant, or trade for and sign during this year.

Comment

Can't tell you how pleased I am that Eduardo Rodriguez got the W in his first game back. Bats have definitely warmed up after a cold start now. J.D. is on fire. On Baltimore's though, it seems that the first inning was about as it good as it got for Mountcastle. He was pretty poor in the field as the game went on.

Just watched the, uh, 'interesting' end to the Mets game. Can't have won many like that over the years.

About to check out the recap of the Angels highlights before getting back on with my work - I hear Trout had another great showing.

Comment

Working...
                              X