Cricket Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cricket Thread

So Australia has a new coach, Justin Langer. While he has done really good work at state level it seems an odd change considering CA are hoping to create a culture change in the Aussie team (or at least that is what they are saying in the meda). By all accounts Langer is a very humble, hard working and even spiritual guy, however he came into the national under the 'play hard' attitude of Bob Simpson and was a key member of the Steve Waugh team that really took sledging to a new level.

The new captain Tim Paine seems to be saying all the right things and certainly wasn't embedded in the culture of the old team so that is a big step forward.

The proof will come when we start losing matches and commentators back here inevitably say that the team isn't 'tough enough' or has 'gone soft'.

I've already heard some stuff from Langer that makes me think he isn't going to be the counterbalance that Aussie cricket needs, and claims to want.

Might be a decent enough fella for all I know, but he hasn't made the right noises already from the bits I've seen. Plus, as a fairly committed John Howard fan I don't know how much he was ever going to be the right pick for that side of things.

On the other hand, can't fault him as a cricketer. Top pick in that regard.

The new ECB competition they've announced, the 100, is getting pilloried by pundits and players alike. The latest suggestion from them was that it didn't matter that the likes of Root and Stokes weren't going to be playing in it because this was for a new mass audience and 'they wouldn't know who these players are anyway'. You can imagine how that went down. There's now talk about the ECB are the only governing body to have nothing but contempt for the sport they govern. It's a real fucking mess.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Comment

England team announcement soon, first of the Ed Smith era. Agnew is on twitter talking about maybe calling up Gubbins to open with Cook as one of the only real contentious areas in the side.

Comment

AB de Villiers retired today.

I'm just going to put this here:

While some would say other are better I feel like of this current generation there has been no more all round destructive batsmen than this guy. He could do it across all formats and could defend just as well as he could attack.

Amazing batsmen, great servant of this country and good luck to him making millions on the Twenty20 circuit. I'm just glad Australia don't have to face him again.

Comment

So, Pakistan smashed England. We're having real trouble finding half a dozen test class batsmen right now.

Comment

Keaton Jennings back in and all is right with the world.

I know they are doing well and it's all a weird time to ask the question, but is Joe Root really the right choice to be captain? Feeling like we were spoiled in the Strauss/Cook eras.

Comment

I think that's a valid question but the way they dispatched Pakistan means that the question isn't likely to be asked again for a while.

The other question, of course - it not him, who? It's not like any other player is a guaranteed selection at the moment.

Comment

Well the Cricket Australia CEO resigned. He is giving himself 12 months before he leaves. More upheval. We won the Ashes last year but at what cost.....

Comment

Cricket Australia does look reasonably rotten to the core at the moment and from what I've heard from Langer he doesn't sound like a guy who'll fix it.

In other news, 'fair fucks' as the Irish say to Scotland for that win over England. Their cricket has come on leaps and bounds in recent years. Yet more proof that the ICC decisions regarding reducing the number of teams is just bizarre. Must be one of the only governing bodies that is actively trying to prevent the growth of the game.

Comment

I know that he is not the most popular player out there and maybe there is good cause for that but to be fair, Stokes dismissal of Karthik is something to see. Definitely worth tracking down.

Comment

India need to get to grips with these conditions. They've been totally behind the eight ball.

Woakes and Curran making you think the future could be bright for England. Nice to see Pope get a debut, too.

Comment

This next test looks intriguing after India roared back to demolish England.

Comment

I just had a look on Cricinfo, really interesting series.

I love how English conditions balance bat and ball so well. In Australia things tend to be a little too flat and batsmen can sometimes get too much of an advantage and it is only a matter of getting your eye in and you are set. That rarely seems to be the case in England where there always seems to be a bit of something for the bowlers, particularly if they can swing it. Of course part of that comes down to the fact that there is just more moisture in the air in England that Australia however when even the once fearsome Wacca becomes a road it is sad indeed.
                          Last edited by SirSam; 08-27-2018, 04:36 AM.

Comment

You've got a point, Sam. Generally speaking tests at home are more entertaining than tests away. And not just because we win more of them, but for the reasons you outline in your post.

Alastair Cook's last test for England today. I'll miss him. Feels a bit like the end of an era, like the last of the old-style batsmen in our squad is calling it a day. Sad times for a fan like me. And bad news for England generally since they still haven't found someone to open the innings with him since Strauss quit. Now we need to find two of them!

Comment

Cook with one final century for England. A tear to the eye for that one. Brilliant stuff.

Comment

Working...
                              X