X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice, can't say I'm too familiar.

Listening to right now...

The '92 Rumble! The Brain's Finest Hour!

Comment

• I know them a little. If you like things like Dirty Honey or Greta Van Fleet then you might like them, though they are less obviously throwbacky than that.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Comment

• Yeah try this one on for size!

Comment

• Not bad, not bad at all!!

At this exact moment I'm watching the West Wing, but just before that this was the last song I listened to...

Comment

• Comment

• Not bad! Putting Paula Cole on my list to check out more.

Listening to a lot of Broadway stuff today. Not sure if that's anyone's speed around here though.

Comment

• My mom was a Paula Cole fan, so I heard that song on the way to school. She always had better taste in music than I would.

Diggin' this Quarantine cover of Tracy Chapman's Fast Car by Luke Combs. Luke Combs is almost the only radio country that reminds me of a much better time in that genre.

Also, song he wrote in quarantine, "Six Feet Apart": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6d9XjnV2iKA
                Last edited by Mystic; 05-17-2020, 11:22 PM.
                sigpic

Comment

• Damn poignant, which is very much my vibe. Don't really know Combs or Chapman so I'll put them on my list!

Not listening right now, but first on the playlist for tomorrow morning...

Comment

• Heard this for the first time today. The dude from Orbital linked up with a stand-up/poet and produced a Kraftwerk-inspired soundtrack to the COVID era. Had me laughing, I won't lie.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Comment

• Haha, that was a trip and a half!

Just got through this one and it always makes me infectiously happy:

Comment

• Taylor Swift just released a surprise new album and it is really good. Removes the pop trappings and focuses on her craft as a singer songwriter. Feels like she just sat in front of a piano and wrote it out.

Best song on it is a duet with Bon Iver, Exile. Really nice song.
                        SIR SAM'S COURT
                        An Ode To Judas + AEW Dynamite Notes
                        @Sir_Samuel

Comment

• You know- I’m a huge Taylor fan, but I was underwhelmed with her new stuff. It just seemed like a bunch of out-takes and b-sides from the Reputation and Lover recording sessions. There’s nothing bad on the album, per se... it just seems like a case of “yeah, I can see why these got cut from the previous albums originally”.

Comment

• I do get where you are coming from, it is certainly very different to those two albums which were extremely highly produced but I feel like it is a conscious choice for her to go without a lot of the pop trappings she added over her last four albums.

Take the first song on the album, the 1, I can see that having a huge beat in the front and stacked electronic synths behind it, kind of like ME! off Lover, as it does have rhythm behind it and very defined piano chords that could lean that way. Instead though, she has chosen to strip it back significantly and create a much more sparse track.

It is of course personal preference which you prefer but I really enjoy the more stripped back style of this album. Love those big pop songs she does but she is a damn good singer-songwriter and I'm glad she is eschewing what her record company probably want to do and showcasing a less bright and sparkly sound.
                            SIR SAM'S COURT
                            An Ode To Judas + AEW Dynamite Notes
                            @Sir_Samuel

Comment

• Like, I said- there’s nothing bad on the album at all. You might have hit the nail on the head, though, with how some of these songs could have been more in line with her general pop sound. There’s one track (I don’t remember which one at the moment) that had a very “Wildest Dreams” vibe. And I thought the exact same thing you mentioned- with some added synth and extra production, this could be one of her “normal” songs. And I think that’s why it seems like out-takes and b-sides to me... maybe these songs did sound way different when they were initially recorded. (Assuming that, like most artists, for a 12 track album, 30 or more songs might actually be recorded and just stuck in the vault.) And she just decided to take the songs and strip back all the extra stuff and have a much more mellow vibe. Either way, it’s cool she’s doing something different from her norm; I just think when it’s all said and done, this won’t stand up next to Lover or her earlier stuff and definitely not 1989. (She’ll probably never make another album as great as that one.)

Comment

Working...
                              X