• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wrestling Headlines LAST MAN STANDING Final Result

Last Man Standing.png

Five rounds
    Only one columnist can survive

What a tournament it has been. Five rounds, ten writers, we've had just about everything a tournament could have, controversy, flame outs, a front runner getting caught with the finish line in sight and a writer coming from the bottom of the pack and running all the way up to the final. However, the tag line has always been 'only one columnist can survive' so it would always come down to one final man.

So after a hellacious final round, I would like to announce the final surviving writer of the LAST MAN STANDING is:
    DRUMROLL

Maverick.png

MAVSMAN

In an incredibly close finish, Mavsman managed to outlast Shinobi, here is how the scores broke down:

Writer Sam Mav Mizzie Av
    1 Mavsman 88 78 86 84
    2 Shinobi 95 80 74 83

We've had some incredibly close finishes and in the end it all came down to one point. Congratulations to both men for five rounds of excellence, you didn't make it easy for us judges but the title goes to Mavsman, his first tournament victory in over ten years of writing here (I think)!

Thanks to everyone involved in the tournament, especially my fellow judges Maverick and Mizfan as well as Prime Time who helped out behind the scenes.

Jaysus, that's close. Great final.

Well done to everyone who took part, and thanks for making my role virtually non-existent - always a mark of a smooth tournament. My thanks to the judges and especially to Sam for making it happen.

Commiserations to Shinobi, who did pretty well anyway, but especially for someone who has barely written in a long, long time.

Congratulations to Mavsman! A tremendous showing throughout.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Comment

Unbelievable! .Congrats to both of you! Great columns coming from you guys
      See the latest of my Ric Flair saga click here. http://lordsofpain.tv/showthread.php...acock-(Part-2) View my story inspired by colorful wrestlers I've come across in my fandom. http://lordsofpain.tv/showthread.php...-the-Challenge

Comment

What a great way to wake up and start my Sunday!

Thanks first and foremost to all my fellow competitors. I'd have to imagine 31 out of a possible 32 columns is an LOP Forums record for avoiding no shows in a tournament! Not only that, but there was serious quality to go along with the quantity, all competition long. Particularly, thanks to Shinobi for being as great of a final foe as I could have asked for. Shinobi, I don't know if you realized this, but your score improved each and every round of the tournament. That's seriously impressive and a testament to your ability to dial it up when it matters most. And if the format had been a vote rather than a total score, you would have won. As close as close can be.

Thanks to the judges, especially for the valuable feedback as we went along. And an extra shout out to Sam for simultaneously organizing and running this whole thing. It's often a thankless, unglamorous task, so I wanted to make sure you know how appreciated it was. And thanks to Prime Time for waiting in the wings as an ultimate fixer, though I'm glad he mostly got to fly under the radar!

Over the Christmas holidays, I started getting nostalgic for the CF. I missed the writing and the creative outlet, sure, but I mostly missed the people and the community. I was delighted when I checked in and saw the community was plugging along, obviously not at the same velocity as it once had, but certainly with the same passion. And as an extra treat, I saw this competition was about to kick off. It was probably a coincidence rather than fate, but it hammered home that I wanted to return. So thank you all for accepting me back with open arms. My relationship with wrestling was at an all time low but being back here has reinvigorated it. Put it all together, and I feel like I've reconnected with multiple long lost friends. Thank you to everyone for making that possible.

Sam, you're right and you're wrong - it is my first tournament victory in over 10 years, but not my first tournament victory at LOP. I won CSI in spring of 2010. It's fucking crazy that that was over a decade ago. If the list in the CF History subforum is to be believed, I now join Zuma, Priest, Oliver, and Mazza as multiple time (individual) tournament winners. What an awesome list to be a part of!

Comment

Congrats Mavs. Great tourney. Tough loss Shinobs, especially winning 2 of 3 scorecards.

Comment

This was great to check in on from time to time. Always so unpredictable. Congrats, Mavs. That's a tough one for Shinobi. Unbelievably close.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
              Congrats Mavs. Great tourney. Tough loss Shinobs, especially winning 2 of 3 scorecards.
              It was interesting as the scores came in, I put mine in first and agonised over going so high with Shinobi's column, thinking I was basically handing the comp with my score alone. However Mizzie then came in with exactly the opposite reaction and it was game on again.

Tough one for Shinobi for sure, I'm pretty sure it was my highest scorer of the comp but I stand by the other judges scores and think that either way it went to the right guy.

Comment

Congrats, Mavs. Over the 5 rounds you were the most consistent writer, you've always been ultra talented, you have this incredible ability to make people stop, think and feel with your writing, and even your extended hiatus didn't stop that from coming across in this competition. You are a most deserving champion, sir.

It is gutting to come this far and get beaten in the final, especially by such a narrow margin. I knew it was a risk to write the column I did in the final, so it's not a surprise to see such a range of scores, but I'm glad it's someone's favourite column from the tournament. It was a fun one to write.

Thanks to Mav, mizfan (final score not withstanding!) and especially Sam for running this thing, it's been a real test of writing ability and to get through a tournament with no major controversy is an achievement all by itself. To everyone who took part, congratulations, the quality was high throughout the competition and I hope you all took something away from it.

Comment

Much praise to both of you, it was a hell of a tournament. Shinobes, tough loss, but if it's any consolation your penultimate column was one of my favorites of the whole tournament! Bravo to all, this has been great fun.

The '92 Rumble! The Brain's Finest Hour!

Comment

Two fantastic columns in the final round. I don’t envy the judges having to pick between them, but congratulations to Mavsman. A very worthy winner!

Comment

Working...
                    X