• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wrestling Headlines LAST MAN STANDING Opening Round Topic Announcement

Last Man Standing.png

Five rounds
    Only one columnist can survive

After getting so much early interest in this tournament and discussion with the rest of the judges, we thought we would kick off the first round of the Wrestling Headlines LAST MAN STANDING Tournament early.

Anyone is still welcome to sign up, as long as they submit a column before the due date they will be included as a participant. So without further ado here is the opening topic.

Your favourite match

Your column will be scored out of 100 by each of the three judges with an average of the three scores giving you a final score out of 100.

There will be no eliminations this round, your total for the first round will be combined with your total for the second round when the first set of eliminations occur.

Rules for submissions are as follows:
    - All columns are to be submitted to the Columns Competition section of the forum with the prefix "LMS 1", eg, "LMS 1: Batista v Great Kahli, Punjabi Prison". This is so we can easily identify the submissions.

- Write about the topic however you want within a 1000 word limit. Write a review, a retelling, a justification, a tribute song to the tune of Stairway to Heaven, it's up to you but all columns will be checked on https://wordcounter.net/ and you will be penalised 10% of your overall score per 50 words you are over. For example, if you are 20 words over, you will be penalised 10%, if you are 60 words over you will be penalised 20% and so on. The word limit will be pushed out as the tournament goes on but for now will be 1000.

- Write it well, grammar and spelling errors will be penalised. There is no specific penalty but one of the elements of the judging criteria will be your ability as a writer so you will lose points for these errors.

- Do not edit your column after it is posted. If we see an edit stamp on your column it will be disqualified. If there is a genuine mistake then the tournament referee Prime Time can allow an edit however this is not to be used for updating columns, making significant changes or fixing grammatical errors. One example when this was used in the past was after a participant posted an obviously incomplete column and was allowed to post the remaining text.

- Deadline for submission is the 24th of January, 8pm AEDT (Australian Eastern Daylight Savings Time). Don't know what time that is for you? Welcome to my life as a wrestling fan and past competition participant. Seriously though here is a very handy website called World Time Buddy that will allow you to work it out, I live in the same time zone as Sydney: https://www.worldtimebuddy.com/

Have fun guys. I have chosen a topic that I think will challenge you but will be fun to write.
    SIR SAM'S COURT
    An Ode To Judas + AEW Dynamite Notes
    @Sir_Samuel

Just a thought, what's the ruling on images in columns here. Are we allowed or not allowed?
    The worst PPV ever is coming soon.
    Send in your top 10 to help us find out what the worst PPV ever is.

Comment

Yep, you can use them if you think they add to the column.

With words in them, if they are part of the image then they won't count towards the word count however if they do, eg, the title of your column or text from a social media post, then they will count towards your word limit.
      SIR SAM'S COURT
      @Sir_Samuel

Comment

Figuring out the UK time difference for these things was a breeze compared to yours, Sam. However that site you linked above works awesome. The 16 hour discrepancy explains why you're always going to bed when I'm waking up haha.

I always go into these tournaments (or individual rounds) with an idea for a column already in mind, then see the topic and realize I can't use it. You think I would've learned by now. Excited to get this thing started though. I'm all for the idea of kicking it off earlier to capitalize on the current interest level around the CF.

Comment

Abusing your power as tournament organizer to make things more personally convenient for you?

And who said the old CF was dead!

Comment

I'm just helping make you a more empathetic person Mavsman
            SIR SAM'S COURT
            @Sir_Samuel

Comment

Originally posted by Mavsman View Post
              Abusing your power as tournament organizer to make things more personally convenient for you?

And who said the old CF was dead!
              Where's Sheepster when you need him, right?

The '92 Rumble! The Brain's Finest Hour!

Comment

Just wanted to give a heads up that I will be giving feedback for every entry but only after the round has closed.
                SIR SAM'S COURT
                @Sir_Samuel

Comment

I really enjoyed the tournament last year, so I will enter. Thanks for organising it - I'm looking forward to reading people's work, and getting back into the swing of writing regularly again. I've only managed one non-tournament column since The Pond Invitational.

Comment

Originally posted by SirSam View Post
                    Just wanted to give a heads up that I will be giving feedback for every entry but only after the round has closed.
                    Same goes for me! Also welcome Mack, good to see you!

The '92 Rumble! The Brain's Finest Hour!

Comment

Just got a chance to read this. I'm a busy man these days but I am setting aside personal time to write in this competition, more so to just get back into writing! Thanks for putting this on. I sure do miss the writers fraternity.

Comment

Am I too late for this?

Comment

Originally posted by BEAR View Post
                          Am I too late for this?
                          Nope, first column isn't due till 8pm on the 24th, we just opened the first round up early because of the interest. Would love to have you.
                          Last edited by SirSam; 01-13-2021, 08:00 AM.
                          SIR SAM'S COURT
                          @Sir_Samuel

Comment

Working...
                          X