Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Columnist of the Quarter (October - December 2020 ) - DYNO TAKES HIS FIRST!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Columnist of the Quarter (October - December 2020 ) - DYNO TAKES HIS FIRST!

Greetings CF!

As announced in July, due to the lack of columns at the time, we would follow what we did back in January to March and rever a Columnist of the Quarter for July to September. It’s not ideal but as you’ll see it has made the competition a lot more fierce and retained the prestige of the competition. Kudos to everyone who did post, there is a really great variety on offer and it is going to be a very difficult pick.

I've tweaked all the rules to fit the change, so feel free to give them a look and make sure I didn't make any stupid mistakes or give any other feedback on the idea.
    Rules:

The winner of the Columnist of the Quarter contest will receive the prize of having one column posted on the main page of WrestlingHeadlines.com

The Winner of Column of the Quarter will have that column posted on the main page.

1) The winner of Columnist of the Quarter is determined by which of the eligible columnists receives the largest amount of votes within the allotted voting period.

2). No voting for yourself. Don’t be a knob.

3). You must vote for Columnist of the Quarter to be eligible to win. Should the person with the most votes not place a vote during the allotted timeframe, said person will be disqualified and the first runner up in terms of number of votes gained will be named the winner. One need not place a vote to be awarded single Column of the Month.

4). A columnist must have posted at least one column during the allotted time period in order to be eligible. Duh.

5). When voting, please name both the columnist and, if applicable, the title of their ongoing series in a bold and easily determined fashion. Makes it easier on us old mod folk to more clearly discern the votes, what with our cataracts and such.

6). Main page writers are ineligible to win either the Columnist or Column awards. The exception to this is if they were not called up until the next month. For instance, a writer who wrote stuff in April and was called up on May 3rd would still be eligible to win the April Columnist contest. The prize would just be a bit pointless, I guess. The reason that main page writers are ineligible to win the single Column award is simply because they could, and often do, post said column simultaneously on the main page. This is a CF award, so only CF writers are considered.

7). Please refrain from editing your vote once it is placed, so as to not fuck up the tally. Some circumstances, such as a noob vote for a main pager, are the only loopholes to this one and will be pointed out and handled by a moderator.

8). If a candidate is caught campaigning for CotM, either publicly or privately via PM or social media, they will be disqualified and quite possibly banned. Do your selling through your writing. Begging is lame.

9). Columns about columns (such as the State of the CF or End of Year CF Awards) are not eligible for COTM consideration and will not be counted in favour of their respective authors in the final tally for the month.

10). As it pertains to collaborations, there are a few variations that require clarification.
    a) If it's a "tag team" style "traditional" collaboration (i.e.: "anonymous and glamourous' Adventures in Wrestling" or 'Plan and Maverick’s 100 reasons why Bret Hart is the best) then both members of the team must vote in order to claim victory as a team.
    b) If a single columnist gathers a group of individuals for a "roundtable" collab, only the organizer of said series must vote in order to claim victory. For instance, if Anonymous wants to break down the Greatest Moments of Rikishi’s Ass and asks two of his pals to help out, only Anonymous needs to vote in order to win the award should he garner enough votes since he is the blatant driving force, as opposed to the give and take equality of a "tag team" collab.

For the voters, if you wish to specifically vote for a "traditional" collab team, name both writers. If you wish to honour a "roundtable" collab, just name the organizer of said collab.

11) You cannot vote for a former main page writer until said writer is at least 4 months removed from their main page stint at the time of the voting period. For instance, if David Davidson just left his main page spot in January and resumed writing in the CF, he is not eligible to win CotM until the May contest. This rule is included simply because it's kind of stupid to award a main page column to a writer who just gave up a gig in which the point was to post columns on the main page. If they wanted to be on the main page then they probably would've, you know, stayed on the main page. We get that the CF has a certain allure, what with the sense of community and ability to win awards from one's peers and all that, but let us not forget the reason why the CF exists in the first place. It's not to placate egos by handing out peer determined awards, it's to find writers for the Lords of Pain main page. If you've had that spot and chose to leave it, perhaps it's time that someone else got the opportunity to prove why they deserve a shot. This rule is only applicable to the COLUMNIST vote, not the single COLUMN vote.

12). In the event of a tie going to decide with a run-off rather than a one-column shootout to decide any ties.

Voting for Column and Columnist will close on the 14th January 2020 at 23:59 AEDT.

Here are the nominees:

Benjamin Button
    The Fragments that Formed Flair, Volume 9: Putting the Pieces Together
    An Endless Night, Stalked By Its Moon.

Don Franc
    The Main Event Vol. 130 - Kenny Omega Is Not Elite + Orton A Worthy Champion
    The Main Event Vol. 131 - Full Gear Thoughts + Miro Booked Correctly?
    The Main Event Vol. 132 - AEW Diminishing Titles + Moxley Shouldn't Lose The Title On December 2nd
    The Main Event Vol. 133 - Comparing NXT and AEW's Womens Divisions + Toni Storm's Untimely Heel Turn

Dynamite Billington
    Dynamite's Jet Saloon: Rest In Peace
    Dynamite's Jet Saloon: Predicting 2021
    Dynamite's 2020 Prediction Results
    Dynamite's Jet Saloon: Discussing Audiences, AEW & Asuka/Bayley
    Dynamite's Jet Saloon: On Title Tracks and Championships...
    Dynamite's Jet Saloon: 12 Days of D-Xmas

KingZak13
    Kingzak Presents: Takeover 31 Predictions
    The King and The Cook presents: The worst PPV ever of all time #10
    Kingzak Presents: Hell in a Cell 2020 Predictions
    The King and The Cook presents: The worst PPV ever of all time #9
    The King and The Cook presents: The worst PPV ever of all time #8
    Kingzak Presents: King of the RNG Episode 11
    Kingzak Presents: Survivor Series 2020 Predictions
    The King and The Cook presents: The worst PPV ever of all time #7
    The King and The Cook presents: The worst PPV ever of all time #6
    Kingzak Presents: NXT Takeover War Games 2020 Predictions
    Kingzak Presents: TLC 2020 Predictions/Review
    Kingzak presents: PPV-Stars NXT vs AEW

Kleckamania
    A Guide To Cuckdom: Pandemics, Rusevs, Ricochets, Red Headed She Devils, And My Growing Erectile Dysfunction

SkitZ
    Taste My Rainbow ~ Me, Myself & SkitZ SnapChat About 2020 (for the Most Part)
    Taste My Rainbow ~ SkitZ & Crew Wipe COVID Off the Mat This Christmas
    Taste My Rainbow ~ The Hurt Business is a Cruel Mistress
    Taste My Rainbow ~ Bye Bye Brodie

Skulduggery
    Half Luck, Half Skul: Monday Night Madness (The Greatest RAW Match) - F4 and Winner

The Cook
    The King and The Cook presents: The worst PPV ever of all time #10
    The King and The Cook presents: The worst PPV ever of all time #9
    The King and The Cook presents: The worst PPV ever of all time #8
    The King and The Cook presents: The worst PPV ever of all time #7
    The King and The Cook presents: The worst PPV ever of all time #6

The Holy Mackerel
    The Power in the Cape and Antlers
    Last edited by mizfan; 01-07-2021, 03:10 PM.

I'm going to vote Ben for columnist. Although creative columns aren't really my thing, he does a great job of them.

For individual column, Me, Myself & SkitZ SnapChat About 2020
    New Column: Unfinished Business

Comment

Zak/Cook and Dyno have clearly been the constants around here for the last couple (several?) months. As someone who only started posting columns regularly again in mid December, I would hope nobody votes for me as COTQ... Give it to one of these full-timers dammit!

I'm voting for DynamiteBillington who's been going strong for ages now and still makes adjustments to keep improving his stuff.

For individual column, I'll go with uhhhh Kleck's Guide to Cuckdom which should come as a surprise to no one who's read it.

Comment

Dynamite for COTQ and Skitz's Christmas Column for Column of the Quarter.

Comment

There's some super good stuff mixed in there! I'm gonna go with Benny Butts for COTQ, his series always haunt and intrigue me. For individual I'm gonna reach back and vote for Mackarel's "The Power in the Cape and Antlers", who else is cool enough to jump out of nowhere with a column about the Barbarian??

The '92 Rumble! The Brain's Finest Hour!

Comment

I'm going with Zak, while I think even he would agree he didn't reach the singular heights of Benny, as someone who is also on the regular grind I really respect his level of output, particularly during a quieter period. I haven't counted but I would be surprised if he has posted more columns than me, Hustle and Andrew on the main page.

Single column I'll go with The Greatest Raw Match ever finale.

Comment

Don Franc for columnist. Always tremendous discussion driving pieces. Has the most columns I've enjoyed reading.

Dynamite's Rest in Piece column. Definitely the single one that stands out most in my memory.
              See the latest of my Ric Flair saga click here. http://lordsofpain.tv/showthread.php...acock-(Part-2) View my story inspired by colorful wrestlers I've come across in my fandom. http://lordsofpain.tv/showthread.php...-the-Challenge

Comment

Benny or Dyno for COTQ? This is a tough one for me but I've gotta say Benny squeaks it for his tales of Little Benny.

Column goes to Skitz Snapchat 2020.

Comment

I honestly don't remember any of November or October, December was probably the most alive this place has been since WrestleMania.

I'm going with Dynamite for Columnist.
                  The worst PPV ever is coming soon.
                  Send in your top 10 to help us find out what the worst PPV ever is.

Comment

I'm gona leave this open another twenty four hours just to see if any more votes come in.

Comment

For some reason I thought the deadline for this was the same as the Last Man Standing tournament.

I'm going to go for Dynamite as columnist.

Comment

The votes are in and DynamiteBillington takes it!

Dyno has been around here as long as anyone and it is so good to see him pick up one of these! Congragulations Dyno.

For those keeping score it was:
                        DynamiteBillington - 4
                        Benjamin Button - 3
                        KingZak - 1
                        Don Franc - 1

For Column of the Quarter: Taste My Rainbow ~ Me, Myself & SkitZ SnapChat About 2020 (for the Most Part) was the only one to get multiple votes so congrats to Skitz too.

Comment

Congratulations Dyno for a well deserved COTM! Perhaps one of the most well earned ever. You’re a constant around here. Great to see this!
                          See the latest of my Ric Flair saga click here. http://lordsofpain.tv/showthread.php...acock-(Part-2) View my story inspired by colorful wrestlers I've come across in my fandom. http://lordsofpain.tv/showthread.php...-the-Challenge

Comment

Dyno for the win! Welcome to the club, homie. It’s been a long time coming.

Comment

Really? Wow.

I actually don't think I've ever even had a vote before, so that's pretty cool. (Do the historical stats go deep enough to confirm that?)

Thanks to those who voted for me. Screw the rest of you.

This means I need to pick one of my columns to get posted on the main page doesn't it? Looking back over the votes, the column dedicated to Taker was the only one to get an individual column vote, but I'm not sure that really goes on the main page - especially this long after the event. I'm thinking maybe the Vince column could get some entertaining discussion over there?
                              New Column: Unfinished Business

Comment

Working...
                              X