Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Columnist of the Quarter (January - March 2021) - MAVSMAN WINS!

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Columnist of the Quarter (January - March 2021) - MAVSMAN WINS!

Greetings CF!

Firstly sorry this has come out a tad late. Those who speak to me regularly will know I have a bit on my plate at the moment with work and family. Better late than never though.

By now you should all know that we have moved from Columnist of the Month to Columnist of the Quarter. Looking back these last three months have seen quite a nice uptick in traffic here and postings with a number of old hands dropping back in for welcome returns and some regulars really hitting the afterburners when it comes to getting out regular content.

Rules:

The winner of the Columnist of the Quarter contest will receive the prize of having one column posted on the main page of WrestlingHeadlines.com

The Winner of Column of the Quarter will have that column posted on the main page.

1) The winner of Columnist of the Quarter is determined by which of the eligible columnists receives the largest amount of votes within the allotted voting period.

2). No voting for yourself. Don’t be a knob.

3). You must vote for Columnist of the Quarter to be eligible to win. Should the person with the most votes not place a vote during the allotted timeframe, said person will be disqualified and the first runner up in terms of number of votes gained will be named the winner. One need not place a vote to be awarded single Column of the Month.

4). A columnist must have posted at least one column during the allotted time period in order to be eligible. Duh.

5). When voting, please name both the columnist and, if applicable, the title of their ongoing series in a bold and easily determined fashion. Makes it easier on us old mod folk to more clearly discern the votes, what with our cataracts and such.

6). Main page writers are ineligible to win either the Columnist or Column awards. The exception to this is if they were not called up until the next month. For instance, a writer who wrote stuff in April and was called up on May 3rd would still be eligible to win the April Columnist contest. The prize would just be a bit pointless, I guess. The reason that main page writers are ineligible to win the single Column award is simply because they could, and often do, post said column simultaneously on the main page. This is a CF award, so only CF writers are considered.

7). Please refrain from editing your vote once it is placed, so as to not fuck up the tally. Some circumstances, such as a noob vote for a main pager, are the only loopholes to this one and will be pointed out and handled by a moderator.

8). If a candidate is caught campaigning for CotQ, either publicly or privately via PM or social media, they will be disqualified and quite possibly banned. Do your selling through your writing. Begging is lame.

9). Columns about columns (such as the State of the CF or End of Year CF Awards) are not eligible for COTQ consideration and will not be counted in favour of their respective authors in the final tally for the month.

10). As it pertains to collaborations, there are a few variations that require clarification.
    a) If it's a "tag team" style "traditional" collaboration (i.e.: "anonymous and glamourous' Adventures in Wrestling" or 'Plan and Maverick’s 100 reasons why Bret Hart is the best) then both members of the team must vote in order to claim victory as a team.
    b) If a single columnist gathers a group of individuals for a "roundtable" collab, only the organizer of said series must vote in order to claim victory. For instance, if Anonymous wants to break down the Greatest Moments of Rikishi’s Ass and asks two of his pals to help out, only Anonymous needs to vote in order to win the award should he garner enough votes since he is the blatant driving force, as opposed to the give and take equality of a "tag team" collab.

For the voters, if you wish to specifically vote for a "traditional" collab team, name both writers. If you wish to honour a "roundtable" collab, just name the organizer of said collab.

11) You cannot vote for a former main page writer until said writer is at least 3 months removed from their main page stint at the time of the voting period. For instance, if Sir Sam just left his main page spot in January and resumed writing in the CF, he is not eligible to win CotQ until the Q2 contest. This rule is included simply because it's kind of stupid to award a main page column to a writer who just gave up a gig in which the point was to post columns on the main page. If they wanted to be on the main page then they probably would've, you know, stayed on the main page. We get that the CF has a certain allure, what with the sense of community and ability to win awards from one's peers and all that, but let us not forget the reason why the CF exists in the first place. It's not to placate egos by handing out peer determined awards, it's to find writers for the Lords of Pain main page. If you've had that spot and chose to leave it, perhaps it's time that someone else got the opportunity to prove why they deserve a shot. This rule is only applicable to the COLUMNIST vote, not the single COLUMN vote.

12). In the event of a tie going to decide with a run-off rather than a one-column shootout to decide any ties.

Voting for Column and Columnist will close on the 18th January 2020 at 23:59 AEDT.

Here are the nominees (in no particular order):

Kleckamania
    A Guide To Cuckdom: Pandemics, Rusevs, Ricochets, Red Headed She Devils, And My Growing Erectile Dysfunction
    Everything I Wanted?
    WWE, Peacock, And What This Deal Means To You And Professional Wrestling
    LMS 1: My Favourite Match

Skitz
    Taste My Rainbow ~ The Hurt Business is a Cruel Mistress
    Taste My Rainbow ~ Bye Bye Brodie
    Taste My Rainbow ~ Asian Persuasion (Tales of an Unhinged White Dude)
    Taste My Rainbow ~ An Outdated Mindset (Should WWE Fear The Revolt?)
    Me, Myself & SkitZ Crown the Greatest Royal Rumble Winner (Using a Gimmick Randomizer)
    LMS 1: What Do Seven Brothers, a Redhead and a Man-Beast Have in Common?
    LMS 2: SkitZ Anchors the WH-LOP News Report
    LMS 3: Kill Bill, Volume 54 (The Shameless Circlejerk of Wrestling Sequels)

Dynamite Billington
    Dynamite's Jet Saloon: On Vince, Vince and Vince.
    Dynamite's Jet Saloon: The Curse of The Rumble (Chapter 13)
    Dynamite's Jet Saloon: The Curse of the Rumble (Chapter 7)

KingZak13
    Kingzak presents: PPV-Star: NXT vs AEW Part 2
    Kingzak Presents: New Year's Smash/Evil Predictions (AEW and NXT)
    Kingzak Presents: NXT 2020, Hidden Gems and Forgotten Highlights Part 1
    Kingzak Presents: Royal Rumble 2021 Predictions
    Kingzak presents: PPV-Star: NXT vs AEW Part 3
    Kingzak Presents: NXT 2020, Hidden Gems and Forgotten Highlights Part 2 (Jul-Dec)
    Kingzak Presents: NXT Takeover Vengeance Day 2021 Predictions
    Kingzak Presents: AEW Revolution 2021 Predictions
    Kingzak presents: PPV-Star: NXT vs AEW Part 4
    Kingzak presents: PPV-Star: NXT vs AEW Part 5
    Dead or Alive 2021: Love vs. War #1
    LMS 1: The Phenom, The Showstopper and the Cynicism of Age
    LMS 2: Two sides of the same coin
    LMS 3: Admitting to being wrong

KingZak13 & The Cook
    The King and The Cook presents: The worst PPV ever of all time #5
    The King and The Cook presents: The worst PPV ever of all time #4
    The King and The Cook presents: The worst PPV ever of all time Dishonourable Mention

The Cook
    The Cook’s Kitchen: Favourite Match
    LMS 2: The Cook’s Kitchen: Could this be The End?

Don Franc
    The Main Event Vol. 134 - The Evolution Of AEW: 2021 Is Make Or Break For All Elite Wrestling
    The Main Event Vol. 135 - What WWE's New Year's Resolutions Should Be
    The Main Event Vol. 136 - Who Will Be 2021's Breakout Star? (AEW Edition)
    The Main Event Vol. 137 - Who Will Be 2021's Breakout Star? (NXT Edition)
    The Main Event Vol. 138 - Impact Wrestling's Hard To Kill Review
    The Main Event Vol. 139 - The Retelling Of HHH vs Randy Orton At Wrestlemania 25 (LMS First Draft)
    The Main Event Vol. 140 - Is Impact Benefitting From The AEW Partnership?
    The Main Event Vol. 141 - With AEW Around, Is WWE Still The Dream? (Unabridged Version)
    The Main Event Vol. 141 - What Is Love?
    The Main Event Vol. 142 - Impact's Second Chance: No Surrender Review + Eli Drake To NXT
    The Main Event Vol. 143 - CM Punk Walked Out, Daniel Bryan Sold Out
    The Main Event Vol. 144 - WWE's Japanese MVPs
    The Main Event Vol. 145 - Tales Of A Stuntman
    The Main Event Vol. 146 - Clash Of Champions (Part 1): WWE Edition (RAW vs SDL vs NXT)
    LMS 1: The Day A Boy Became A Man
    LMS 2: With AEW Around, Is WWE Still The Dream

Benjamin Button
    My Dearest Rachel: Reflecting on My Fandom in 2021
    Under My Skin
    Button Up's Top Ten Greatest Living Legends: Intro
    Button Up's Top Ten Greatest Living Legends: #10 Vince McMahon & Terry Funk
    Button Up's Top Ten Greatest Living Legends: #9 Triple H
    Button Up's Top Ten Greatest Living Legends: #8 John Cena
    Button Up's Top Ten Greatest Living Legends: #7 The Rock
    Button Up's Top Ten Greatest Living Legends: #6 HBK
    Button Up's Top Ten Greatest Living Legends: More Honourable Mentions
    Button Up's Top Ten Greatest Living Legends: The Last of the Honurable Mentions
    Button Up's Top Ten Greatest Living Legends: The Finale

Mavsman
    Nothing But Net: A Constant, Disrupted
    Nothing But Net - Are You Not (Sports) Entertained?
    Nothing But Net: Royal Rumble 2021 - The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly
    The Optimal Paper Review: Intro
    The Optimal Paper Review: California
    The Optimal Paper Review: Florida
    LMS 1: A Match Made in Heaven
    LMS 2: Cancel the Royal Rumble
    LMS 3: Dear John
    LMS 4: Are You Positive?
    LMS 5: Last Man Standing

Mazza
    All Elite Wrestling Entertainment at its Finest

Mizfan
    The Bright Side: 10 Matches To See (and 3 To Avoid) From 2020

Mizfan & Spinmaster
    Mizzie & The Spin’s Total Non-Stop Wrestling Project- A Return To The Torture
    Mizzie & The Spin’s Total Non-Stop Wrestling Project- Suplexes, Chainsaws & Love Machines
    Mizzie & The Spin’s Total Non-Stop Wrestling Project- This One's Smokin'!
    Mizzie & The Spin’s Total Non-Stop Wrestling Project- Going Downhill Again?

RIPBossman
    Hardtime: The Media, And Even Wrestling Fans, Treat WWE With A Double Standard

Phantom Lord
    The Phantom Rant: AEW's Women & A Tale of Two WWE Show's

Danno
    Boombox: An In Depth Look At The Underrated Theme Tunes In WWE History

Shinobi
    LMS 1: Bow...Shake...Begin.
    LMS 2: Pudding, Over-Egged.
    LMS 3: The Devil's Advocate - This Town Ain't Big Enough
    LMS 4: The Devil's Advocate - Strength In Numbers
    LMS Final: Last Man Standing

Rob S.
    LMS1: Samoa Joe & Austin Aries vs. Shinsuke Nakamura & Tye Dillinger (10/8/16)
    LMS2- Gepetto's Playground
    LMS3: GOAT or Egocentric Twatwaffle
    LMS4: Norma Reigns

The Holy Mackerel
    LMS 1: The Taming of the West
    LMS 2: WWE Needs to Liv Beyond the Moment.
    LMS3: How The Mountie Got His Man
    LMS4: Re-writing the Announcer's Rulebook

TheLAW
    LMS 1: 48 Days
    LMS 2- Social Dilemma
    Last edited by SirSam; 04-24-2021, 02:39 AM.

I'll go first. Lots of strong work from a number of writers but for me the meeting between quality and quantity was strongest with two writers Benny Button and my actual vote Mavsman.

Column of the quarter was Shinobi's final entry for Last Man Standing.

Comment

I’m just going to vote on columnist. Mavsman. Definitely stands out to me all the way around.
      See the latest of my Ric Flair saga click here. http://lordsofpain.tv/showthread.php...acock-(Part-2) View my story inspired by colorful wrestlers I've come across in my fandom. http://lordsofpain.tv/showthread.php...-the-Challenge

Comment

Some amazing choices here, this was a tougher decision than the past couple of quarters I think. I will also go with Mavsman, who returned with a serious passion.

For individual I have to go with Mackerel's How The Mountie Got His Man, incredibly fun piece.

The '92 Rumble! The Brain's Finest Hour!

Comment

I vote Rob as columnist - very consistent in the early rounds of the LMS tournament, and missed out on the final by the narrowest of margins. For column, I vote Mavsman's final entry.

Comment

I am a little torn on this one, It's either Mavsman, Don or Benjamin for me, I think I'm gonna go with the group here and vote Mavsman.

As for column, I'm gonna go with Ben's living legend series, that was a lot of work and really enjoyable a read.
            The worst PPV ever is coming soon.
            Send in your top 10 to help us find out what the worst PPV ever is.

Comment

I'm going with Mavsman as well for Columnist and Shinobi's Strength in Numbers for Column, as that's the one that put me out

EDIT: I'll also say I didn't expect a vote this month with such strong work, so thanks Mack!
              Last edited by Rob S.; 04-12-2021, 01:23 PM.

Comment

For COTQ, I'm going to go with Benjamin Button. He squeaks it out over Don Franc for me, with other honorable mentions going to THM, Rob, and Joey.

Column of the quarter is even tougher. Ultimately, I have to give it to Mackerel for The Taming of the West. But I do want to give a huge shout out to Skitz' (unifinished) Random Royal Rumble column as well as his Round 2 LMS piece with LOP'ers reading the wrestling news. Two of the most creative columns of the quarter, hands down, and both delights to read.

Comment

I'm going to leave this open a little longer to hopefully get some more votes.

Comment

Well I left it open an extra week but no extra votes but I am very happy to crown Mavsman Columnist of the Quarter! Not only did he take out the Last Man Standing tournament but also contributed a number of columns in the general CF.

Congrats Mavsman!

There was no consensus for Column of the Quarter so I will say there is no winner for that however I have enjoyed sharing a number of columns up on the main page over the last few months and will continue to do so.

Comment

Congrats Mavs . Well earned!
                      See the latest of my Ric Flair saga click here. http://lordsofpain.tv/showthread.php...acock-(Part-2) View my story inspired by colorful wrestlers I've come across in my fandom. http://lordsofpain.tv/showthread.php...-the-Challenge

Comment

Congrats Mavs

Comment

Thanks everyone! It's been amazing to plug back in to this community over the last few months. I feel really lucky to have found a place to scratch a creative itch that, fourteen years ago, I didn't even know I had. I feel even more fortunate that this community has persevered over the last decade and a half and would truly like to thank all those who have fought for it when times have been lean. Sam, Miz, Rob, Zak, Prime, Steve, SkitZ, Ben, and I'm sure many others that I'm forgetting due to my frequent absences over the years... thanks for all that you've done to keep this place not just afloat, but still such an amazing home for wrestling writing.

Not sure how the community will end up treating COTMs vs. COTQs, but it does feel poetic to have won this pretty much exactly twelve years after my last, and previously only, award. At least in my headspace this is my second COTM, but if it's decreed that they're completely separate histories, I'm just as happy to be a part of starting a new legacy for this place.

Thanks again guys. As you can probably tell, it really does mean a lot.

Comment

Bravo Mavs! It's been wonderful having you around here.

The '92 Rumble! The Brain's Finest Hour!

Comment

Working...
                            X