Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dead or Alive 2021: Love vs. War #4 (by Sir Sam)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dead or Alive 2021: Love vs. War #4 (by Sir Sam)

Round 1, Match #4: JoJo & Bray Wyatt vs. Nikki Cross & Killian Dain

vs.

Written by Sir Sam
    Jojo floated up to the edge of the pool, picked up the pink margarita and took a long sip. This island holiday felt like exactly what her and Bray needed, getting away from the cramped isolation of 2020, away from the backstage cliquiness of the WWE, away from the weirdness that had engulfed their relationship for over a year now.

The sun beat down on her as she lay on her back and lazily kicked out to the centre of the pool. She just wished her husband was here with her.

She knew that out here in the pool with a fruity cocktail wasn’t exactly where Bray Wyatt would choose to be, no doubt he was inside the apartment he had booked for them, reading one of his Stephen King books or listening to one of his Norwegian metal bands. She loved that he was such an individual, a true individual in a world of people who pretend to be one. Sometimes she just wished he would follow through when he said he would be there with her.

Jojo closed her eyes and decided not to wait but to go and find her errant husband. He probably just got absorbed in whatever he was doing, he was obsessive like that, and would often lose track of time while he was out. She pulled herself out of the pool, wrapped a towel around her and walked through the empty hotel foyer. As she scanned her phone to get in the elevator she wondered how this place was so empty, there weren’t even staff around and she hadn’t seen any other guests since they arrived via helicopter earlier that day. Bray had said it was because of COVID-19 that no one could get out here but it seemed strange that an island paradise like this was so empty. Jojo pushed the thought from her mind as the elevator pinged and the door opened on their fifth story penthouse level.

Immediately something seemed strange, the lights were all off in their room and the curtains were drawn, only a sliver of light crept through the crack in them and the room felt stuffy, like it hadn’t had fresh air in it for weeks. Jojo scanned the room and noticed light coming out of the bathroom, she walked across the penthouse and slowly opened the door. Nothing. A shower, vanity, spa bath and toilet. Jojo exhaled and shook her head, flicking the lights on in the main room, walked over to the curtains and flung them open.

Still, where was her husband?

Out of the corner of her eye, she noticed that the desk bin was full, she hadn’t seen it when the room was dark but could see now that it was full of paper. That was odd, they had only arrived earlier that day and the room seemed immaculate when they had dropped off their luggage. She walked over to it and picked up one of the scraps and scrawled on it read: “Let him in”.

“PING.”

The elevator door made her gasp and she spun around to see her husband emerge with a smile plastered across his face and flowers in hand. Jojo quickly discarded the scrap of paper and walked over to Bray, she put her arms around his neck and straightened the collar of the shirt under that came out from under his red sweater.

“Where have you been bubby?”

Bray squinted his eyes and tilted his head, “getting dinner ready of course Joji.”

Jojo shook her head, time must have got away from her at the pool under the sun. Bray pushed the flowers into her hands and she arranged them in a vase on her bedside table.

“I didn’t think it was time for that already. Just give me a moment to get ready.” She discarded the towel she still had wrapped around her. Bray pushed himself closer to her and she smiled at him as he kissed her.

“I think it can maybe wait a little.”

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx x

Dinner had been exquisite, seafood and cocktails in a done up ocean shack and then a stroll along the beach before coming back to their room. Jojo snuggled down into the covers of their bed as an ocean breeze blew through the window, the weird events of the evening a distant memory. This was what they needed.

She reached behind her to find Bray’s arm and drape it over her but the covers were empty. She rolled over, “Bubby?” but her husband was not there. Jojo sat up and scanned the dark room, not in this room, no light in the bathroom. She got up and walked out to the balcony, not out here either. A cold breeze hit her as she walked outside and a shiver ran down her neck. As she gazed out to the ocean she noticed the reflection of a light on the water, it was coming from the third floor of their hotel.

“What the hell?” she breathed. There hadn’t been anyone else at the hotel, so where had that light come from?

Jojo, went back into the room and sat on the end of the bed and wrapped her arms around her waist, hugging her own body as she tried to get a hold of her rampaging thoughts. Someone had probably just arrived when they had been out at dinner, she just needed to get back to sleep and things would be fine in the morning. THEY. NEEDED. THIS.

She lay down on their bed, her breathing began to slow down as she pulled up the covers.

Bray would be back. He probably just had some creative idea and went for a nighttime stroll to work it out. He would do that back at home, disappear when inspiration struck him. He was a genius, when thoughts came they came at a thousand miles an hour. That would be it, he would be back soon, she just needed to rest.

Then as her head hit the pillow a high pitched cackle echoed through the air. Jojo sat bolt upright, it was a manic, twisted laugh that wouldn’t stop. She got up and went outside, the laugh was coming from the room with the light on the third floor.

That couldn’t be where Bray was, could it?

Jojo pulled a jumper over her pyjamas, shoved her phone in her pocket and pushed the button for the elevator. Without thinking she entered into it, pushed the ‘three’ button and the elevator glided down two floors before opening into a dark hallway. The only light came from the elevator behind her and a small beam of light that crept under the door for the room at the end of the hallway, room 6. The screaming had stopped but the silence unnerved JoJo even more after that.

Jojo slowly stepped forward towards the door. Behind her, the elevator closed and glided off to another level leaving her in almost complete darkness. As she reached the door she wondered what she would do, should she knock? What would she say to these random people? Suddenly she felt very silly for coming down here, what was she even doing down here? She turned to leave but as her phone brushed the room sensor she heard the distinctive ‘click’ of a lock opening and the door slowly swung open.

As Jojo looked into the room she let out a piercing scream.

There were two bodies, a large bearded man and a young brunette woman stripped naked and chained up to the wall. Blood ran from their fresh wounds all over their bodies and both were bruised, cut and disfigured beyond recognition. Carved deeply into their chests were the words: HURT on the man and HEAL on the woman.

Jojo turned and sprinted down the hallway, pummelled the elevator button and when it came bashed the number 5 until the doors closed. Thoughts rushed through her head. Who were those people? What had happened to them? What had done that to them? And where was whatever had done that to them?

She had to find Bray, he would protect her but where could he be?

The elevator doors slid open to her room and as she rushed in she almost ran straight into her husband who was walking out of the bathroom. She could hear the toilet flushing in the background.

“BRAY?!?!

“Where did you go off to Joji?” he asked with a smile on his face?

“Down stairs, room six, bodies….” she stammered, her mind racing, “what are… where were you?”

“What are you talking about? I was just having a shower.” He walked over and put his arms around her, “Now tell me what got you so worked up.”

Jojo looked up into Bray’s eyes, she always felt safe in his powerful arms. Her breathing began to settle slightly, she pushed away and walked into the bathroom to splash some water on her face. She turned on the tap and cold water filled her hands. A sense of calm hit her as she threw it on her face.

She took a deep breath, opened her eyes, looked down into the sink and for the first time the streaks red swirling around the basin, slowly disappearing down the plug hole.

WINNERS: JoJo & Bray Wyatt!

The '92 Rumble! The Brain's Finest Hour!

Not a lot to say on this one. Kinda the expected results, though Jojo being the killer definitely came as a surprise. I wonder if she's been infected by The Fiend or something like that. I guess we'll have to wait and see.
    The worst PPV ever is coming soon.
    Send in your top 10 to help us find out what the worst PPV ever is.

Comment

Originally posted by kingzak13 View Post
      Not a lot to say on this one. Kinda the expected results, though Jojo being the killer definitely came as a surprise. I wonder if she's been infected by The Fiend or something like that. I guess we'll have to wait and see.
      Wait, did this read as JoJo being the killer to you?

Comment

Originally posted by SirSam View Post

Wait, did this read as JoJo being the killer to you?
        I might as misread it but I got those vibes from the last part, the fact that Bray never explicitly is stated as the killer helps and then the blood flow at the end makes me think.

It just occurred this may be you being sarcastic, you do that a lot. It's also possible I missed something.
        The worst PPV ever is coming soon.
        Send in your top 10 to help us find out what the worst PPV ever is.

Comment

Originally posted by kingzak13 View Post

I might as misread it but I got those vibes from the last part, the fact that Bray never explicitly is stated as the killer helps and then the blood flow at the end makes me think.

It just occurred this may be you being sarcastic, you do that a lot. It's also possible I missed something.
          Na, wasn't being sarcastic, I thought it was interesting because it wasn't what I intended in my head. Reading it back with the thought of JoJo being the killer though I can actually see how you got that, especially with the final scene.

Will be even more interested to see what the next person comes up with now.

Comment

I totally got that vibe as well! Or at least a possibility, anyway. The way she seemed to be washing blood off herself at the end felt like a hint, perhaps even a subconscious one. This is a great set up for the next person, worth the wait Sam.

The '92 Rumble! The Brain's Finest Hour!

Comment

Originally posted by mizfan View Post
              I totally got that vibe as well! Or at least a possibility, anyway. The way she seemed to be washing blood off herself at the end felt like a hint, perhaps even a subconscious one. This is a great set up for the next person, worth the wait Sam.
              In my head that was meant to be blood that was there beforehand and she just noticed it.

Still I'm pumped I didn't catch that ambiguity adds a whole new wrinkle to the story for these two going forward.

Comment

Sam, you just created an ultra realistic, dark and scary short story that simply build tension not outrageously but by simple things - bins acting strangely - Bray missing then appearing again - timing being a bit muddled and yet still plausible - a ambiguous ending where the blood could have washed off her face or left there by Bray. It’s A great little mystery, and I dare say my current favourite of the round 1.

I did use Bray in my story, maybe, Brag is doing a lot more than just going missing and re-appearing again.

Comment

Thanks JWG. You always nail the DOA pieces so I'm looking forward to seeing where you take the story I set up here.

Except for the ambiguity around JoJo at the end that mood and tone was exactly what I was aiming for so I'm glad you got that out of it. You certainly picked up on my hints around Bray acting funny.

Comment

See I read this and it never crossed my mind that Jojo might have done it until reading the comments. But that's probably due to my previous knowledge of The Fiend biasing my perception, as I can see how other people saw some ambiguity.

I thought this was quite enjoyable and a worthy addition to the collection. Nice job, Sam!

Comment

Sammy, this felt like a movie. It was nuanced, subtle but had quite the impact. I didn't get that Jojo was the killer, but that's just because I know The Fiend. Zak's comment really gave the ending some mystery, but the story you told was like from a screenplay. Great stuff although I could probably read more of this Fiend origin story if you will. That's what it felt like at times. Good job man.

Comment

Working...
                      X