Dynamite's Jet Saloon: Pre WrestleMania thoughts & Predictions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dynamite's Jet Saloon: Pre WrestleMania thoughts & Predictions

Part of me is regretting reading Hustle’s Mania column before getting to work on this. Trouble is, he pretty much echoed my thoughts for the majority of the show. Although I guess as he beat me to it, my thoughts are actually the echo?

The thing is, for the first time in a long time I’ve fallen a bit behind on current events in WWE. Sure, I’ve been reading a few stories on the main new page, but I haven’t even watched the highlight shows for a couple of months and I think Fastlane was the first PPV I haven’t bothered with in a few years. Only part of it is related to WWE’s product, I’ve been focused on other things lately which have reduced my motivation for watching TV generally.

So what am I thinking about WrestleMania? I’m actually still looking forward to it. Everything I’ve read says the build has been lacklustre, but as I haven’t seen it that hasn’t bothered me. The crowd may not be as huge as years gone by, but it will be great to see one. And I’m pretty sure WWE will go out of their way to make sure they go home happy.

On to the matches themselves….

Night 1

Sasha Banks vs Bianca Belair
    So Wikipedia (always my source of information) has this listed as the main event for night 1. I’m not convinced it’s a bigger match than Lashley vs McIntyre, but it does guarantee a fan favourite wins the last match of the night – something WWE always wants at Mania. Unless there’s a turn of some kind obviously, at which point it becomes more of a cliffhanger ending.

I had been debating the fact that a winner of the Women’s Rumble has never lost in their Mania title shot and that this could be the year it happens, I just don’t see it. Banks has had a decent run with a title (at last) and I think it’s time to move on. Whether or not Belair is ready for a title run I don’t know, but there’s only one way to find out.

Prediction: Bianca Belair.

Bobby Lashley vs Drew McIntyre
    This one is all about it’s positioning on the card. If this match goes on last (which in my opinion it should), Drew wins. But that shits all over Lashley’s first title reign, and I believe he’s earned a longer reign than this. Sure, Drew could do with getting the “WrestleMania Moment” he never really got last year, but I don’t believe he needs it as much as Bobby does.

What Drew does have the potential for though, is a mega-huge entrance. The sort of over the top entrance that a show deprived of a crowd for a year needs. More importantly, the sort of over the top entrance a crowd deprived of a show needs. And for that reason, I can actually see this match going on first with a huge band of bag-pipers playing him out to the ring. Give Drew the full HHH style entrance.

Prediction: Bobby Lashley

Bad Bunny and Damien Priest vs Miz & Morrison
    Poor Damien Priest. All the hype I’ve heard about him and he gets lumbered with playing second fiddle to some rabbit guy I’ve never heard of.

And poor Miz. A couple of years ago he looked like he was on his way back to the top of the card, and Morrison returns to drag him back down to the mid-card. Sure, he had a title run but it wasn’t one that counted for anything.

I’m sure Priest will be made to look good by Miz & Morrison before he steps aside to let Rabbit-Man take the glory, but I really couldn’t care less about this one.

Prediction: Rabbit Man & Damien Priest.

New Day vs AJ Styles and Omos
    This one is tough to call. If AJ & New Day take on 99% of the match, it could steal the show.

I’ve obviously got no idea how Omos will perform in the ring, but he’s not going to be in the same league as the others in the match. And he shouldn’t be. A guy that size needs to be kept as an attraction, used sparingly and pretty much never pinned. But if him & AJ win the titles, it means he’s going to have to get in the ring more regularly which is only going to expose him and the novelty of his size will wear off. If they lose, it means he hasn’t done his job as the giant henchman well enough which will remove any impact he could have. It’s pretty much a lose-lose scenario for him isn’t it?

But this is WWE booking, Vince loves a giant and he loves title changes at Mania.

Prediction: AJ Styles and Omos.

Brawn Strowman vs Shane McMahon
    Why? Why why why why why? If anyone actually cares about this match, feel free to defend your stupidity in the comments.

Prediction: Brawn Strowman.

Cesaro vs Seth Rollins
    I honestly had no idea this match was happening until I just saw it listed on Wikipedia. It’s a definite contender for match of the weekend as the token match between internet favourites always is, because no matter what people think about Vince’s booking he always includes something for the fan of actual wrestling.

As it’s an undercard match which presumably has nothing at stake, I’m going to say Cesaro would gain a lot more from a win than Seth would lose by losing.

Prediction: Cesaro

Women’s Tag Team Turmoil match
    This is one where I think Hustle’s column missed a major point: when these matches happen at WrestleMania, there is always a surprise entrant. And there are plenty of women on the roster not yet booked who could be thrown together as a tag team on the night. There’s also a women’s tag team going in to the Hall of Fame this week….

Prediction: Surprise entrants win.

Night 2

Roman Reigns vs Edge vs Daniel Bryan
    Remember what I said about echoing Hustle’s thoughts? As soon as I saw Bryan added to this match I knew he was there to take the pin. Edge gets his feel good comeback moment, Reigns stays strong, the fans will love Daniel Bryan no matter what. Everybody wins.

Prediction: Edge

Asuka vs Rhea Ripley
    Everyone knows Asuka is my favourite. She’s also the most talented woman on the WWE roster. But what has she actually done lately? Nothing. I don’t know if Ripley has been built as a threat or not, but as she got screwed over at last years Mania I say it’s time to reset the Women’s division and let her have a go with the title this year.

Prediction: Rhea Ripley

The Fiend vs Orton
    In some ways, the story of The Fiend has been one of the best stories WWE have told us in recent years. It’s just a shame that through all the different Faces of Wyatt, they’ve never kept him as the monster he has the potential to be. Every time it looks like he’s climbed a rung of the ladder, he gets pushed back down. But after Orton won their Inferno match, the only thing to do here is to have Wyatt win this one.

Then the only question becomes where does the Wyatt character go next and how long does it take for him to be buried again?

Prediction: The Fiend

Big E vs Apollo Crews
    WTF is a Nigerian Drum Fight anyway? Do they really need to keep coming up with these stupid titles for what will inevitably be just another hardcore match? I guess anyone who knows me will know I’m not particularly looking forward to this one.

Despite that, I have mixed thoughts here. It’s fairly common for these wrestler-specific gimmick matches to actually be something they lose all the time. On the other hand, from what I’ve read they might actually be giving Crews a character at last, something he’s lacked throughout his entire time with WWE. Whether you agree with that character or not is another question, but at least they’re giving him one. Maybe giving him a run with the Intercontinental Title will help push him to the next level?

And I know it’s actually the NWO that are going in to the Hall of Fame, but it potentially means Hogan will be in the building. And you know how Hogan always likes to be the American hero disposing of the foreign bad guy at WrestleMania….

I can genuinely see them doing it. Crews wins, does some kind of post-match promo, then Real American starts playing. The trouble is, despite how bad an idea it is, despite how old & past it Hogan is, the crowd will swallow it up and go nuts. Being honest, 12 year old me will probably take over and mark out for it too, before 46 year old me gets back in charge and face palms.

Prediction: Apollo Crews

Kevin Owens vs Sami Zayn
    Apparently Sami Zayn has some guy called Logan Paul with him. I presume he’s famous in America? I googled him and apparently he’s a social media guy, so as far as I’m concerned he’s not a real celebrity. You can find me on social media as well, you don’t see me making a big deal about it and getting a WrestleMania appearance. And that’s the problem with social media today. Anyone can claim to be a celebrity and get away with it.

But I don’t know why they’re fighting this time around, all I know is that Owens and Zayn have fought 100s of times and never disappointed. This is obviously Vince’s night 2 nod to the fan of wrestling. And as I think Owens has won all of their matches I can remember (I guess Zayn must have won some too, but can’t think of any off the top of my head)….

Prediction: Sami Zayn

Riddle vs Sheamus
    Riddle truly just annoys me. I think he's actually overtaken Jeff Hardy as my most hated wrestler in history. I can’t wait to see Sheamus kick his head off.

Prediction: Sheamus

Women’s Tag Team Championship match
    This one is totally dependent on who wins the Turmoil match the night before. If (as my worst fears tell me) it’s the Bellas, they should definitely lose and Shayna/Nia keep rolling through everyone. If it’s a team made up of Charlotte and anybody else, that team wins.

OK, I get that logic says Naomi & Lana should win the Turmoil match and then Lana should finally give Nia her comeuppance, but when did logic ever matter in wrestling?

Prediction: New champions (whoever they may be)

Finally…my prediction rate to date.
    WM34 – 45%
    WM35 – 50%
    WM36 – 63%

That’s a worrying upward trend which has to come to an end sooner or later.
    New Column: Pre WrestleMania Thoughts & Predictions

I think this is my first time actually looking at the Wrestlemania card this year. Talk about a mixed bag, but I suppose that's expected. I can't comment much on the predictions, seems fairly spot on from what I know though. I'll definitely have an ear to the ground to see what folks think of the matches, I may dig up one or two if I hear good things.

The '92 Rumble! The Brain's Finest Hour!

Comment

Bad on me for being absent from the CF for these prediction preview columns from you and Zak. Blame my in-laws for visiting!

For what it's worth, I think your insight was pretty spot on, even if your predictions for night 2 fell off from night 1 in terms of accuracy. It's a hard business, trying to get in Vince McMahon's head!

I quite enjoyed the show overall, though it did have it's low points. And like you, I more or less skipped the build to the show, so that may have helped me feel more positive about things going into the weekend. I did enjoy how they swerved us by adding Bryan to the main event match to make us think Edge would pin him for the win. I would have thoroughly enjoyed either a Bryan or an Edge run with the belt, and I guess one could still be coming for either of them, but neither guy felt right to me to take the belt off of Reigns. In any case, I'm excited to see where they go with the SmackDown main event scene next!

Didn't Asuka lose her WrestleMania main event match at 34 to Charlotte after winning the first ever Women's Royal Rumble?

Comment

Gave this a read before Mania, sorry for not commenting sooner.

Pretty much agree on most matches, I get your logic on Edge winning but personally Roman was on to big of a run to disrupt now.

Logan Paul is some sort of Youtuber, turned influencer. He had a boxing match against another youtuber back in 2019 and overall your disdain for him is completely justified even though you don't know who he is.

I see you got your wish in Sheamus vs Riddle, that was an amazing finish if you ask me.

I look forward to your post Mania column that you usually do, assuming you are doing one.
        The worst PPV ever is coming soon.
        Send in your top 10 to help us find out what the worst PPV ever is.

Comment

Miz, thanks for the read

Mavs, now you mention it you're right - Asuka losing had skipped my memory. But the attempt to get into Vince's mind is what makes doing these an interesting challenge. Maybe I went too safe with my predictions?

Zak, the thing with Edge pinning Bryan is that it wouldn't have weakened Reigns at all. If anything, it would have forced him to become even more dominant on his hunt to get his title back. Don't worry, the post-mania column is forming in my mind already. And some of the fall out feeds directly in to another one I've been thinking about for a few months so that one may eventually see the light of day as well.
          New Column: Pre WrestleMania Thoughts & Predictions

Comment

Working...
          X