Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kingzak Presents: Royal Rumble 2021 Predictions

LET’S GET READY TO RUMBLE

What’s up guys, Kingzak is back in action with another round of predictions. After busying myself with the tournament it is nice to get back to something more familiar. We are at the end of January and that means one thing, the Royal Rumble. The rumble is without question the peak of the wrestling year, some may argue WrestleMania or Wrestle Kingdom, but truly no event quite draws in the hype and the excitement of all wrestling fans like the rumble.

The Royal Rumble is the biggest event of the year, in its essence sets the tone for the year to come from the WWE. Think of any year and the Royal Rumble show as a whole does act as almost a parallel to the year that is to come. It’ll be interesting to see how things pan out here to see how the year could be about to go. So without further ado, let’s dive in to the show.

Sasha Banks vs. Carmella
    SmackDown Women's Championship

During my TLC column, I said that this feud was a massive anti-climax to go to after Bayley vs Sasha, especially when they made such a big deal of bringing up Sasha’s inability to defend the gold. My view then was Carmella is filler, and it hasn’t changed. Carmella basically went from doing nothing to being the number one contender, against a top face as champion; nothing spells filler feud more than that. I still thoroughly and truly don’t care about this one.

Zak: Sasha Banks
    Brother: Sasha Banks
    Dad: Sasha Banks
    Dog: Carmella

Asuka and Charlotte Flair vs. Nia Jax and Shayna Baszler
    Women's Tag Team Championship

I remember last year when Charlotte and Becky Lynch went for the tag titles and it lead to Asuka vs Becky at the rumble, I feel like this is a longer and less exciting version of that. This whole situation is going to end with some combination of these four fighting for the women’s title at WrestleMania and quite frankly only two of those options work for me. Most horrifying is that with the WWE’s insistence on pushing Nia Jax, there is a chance that we end up getting Nia Jax challenging for the women’s championship at WrestleMania, and given that Nia “injured” Charlotte earlier in the year there is the chance that the title ends up finding it’s way to Charlotte before WrestleMania.

Honestly the two scenarios that I like are Asuka vs Shayna for the women’s title, or Asuka vs Charlotte for the title. The latter works if Charlotte turns heel because she is completely unnatural as a face, while Asuka vs Shayna just seems right to do. But given WWE’s history of Asuka and WrestleMania, I find myself worried that she won’t make it through with the title and will inevitably loss it to Charlotte because WWE hate us.

Anyway, Asuka and Charlotte retain.

Zak: Asuka and Charlotte
    Brother: Asuka and Charlotte Flair
    Dad: Asuka and Charlotte Flair
    Dog: Asuka and Charlotte

Drew McIntyre vs. Goldberg
    WWE Championship

Why does god hate me? Every fucking time I think we’ve turned a corner the same fucking bullshit rocks up. I remember when Goldberg first returned and I could tell bullshit was on the horizon, but I could never have fathomed the amount of bullshit that would be. Meanwhile you cheered Goldberg on excited for that hit of nostalgia, you rationalized his win over Brock Lesnar; you applauded the rematch at WM33. Your actions led us down the path to destruction and now we stand at the gates of hell, I remember so many amongst you being pro-Goldberg when he came back and now we all suffer because of you. Fuck you, fuck you in every single conceivable way, fuck every atom of your existence. You caused this and now have the gall to complain. I hope you suffer.

I am praying that Drew retains and we get a WrestleMania with no part time title matches, but quite frankly I am out of hope that the WWE will do the right thing.

Zak: Drew McIntyre
    Brother: Goldberg
    Dad: Goldberg
    Dog: Drew McIntyre

Roman Reigns vs. Kevin Owens
    Last Man Standing match
    Universal Championship

Now we get into the good stuff. I had heard rumour of it being Bryan vs Reigns here but honestly this is just as good. Reigns has been on fire the last few months and Owens is a solid contender for him. Owens has looked good the last couple weeks after being dominated for most of the feud, with both a chance to finally stand tall to end an episode and his promo genuinely rattling Reigns this past Friday, he’s looking a bit more convincing as a contender this time round.

This is going to be a great match, Reigns and Owens both work fantastically in these no DQ sort of situations and the two do have a good chemistry between them. I will say it does feel a bit off that they’ve gone from a TLC match, to a cage match, to a Last Man Standing match, like those all are traditionally finale matches so having multiple of them just feels a bit overkill to me.

As good as this will be, the ending isn’t in question, Reigns is taking that title to WrestleMania, if you’ve not worked that out by now you aren’t paying attention. Head of the table Reigns is an end boss if I’ve ever seen one, he is the sort of foe that a win over adds a ton of credibility to whoever can beat them, and that is coming at WrestleMania. Owens isn’t going to be winning this one.

Zak: Roman Reigns
    Brother: Kevin Owens
    Dad: Anyone but Roman Reigns
    Dog: Roman Reigns

Women’s Royal Rumble

Has the build for the rumbles felt slightly lacklustre to anyone else this year? Usually it’s a mad rush of people declaring themselves, jockeying for the best position, but this year it’s just kinda happened in passing, everyone is still more focused on their current feud rather than the rumble, as opposed to the usual focus on the rumble but the feud continues. This applies to both gendered rumbles. The women in particular aren’t looking great, given how few have actually announced participation.

So far we have 13 women announced for the match. and while I’m not expecting every spot to be filled, I’d like at least half to be done. I’ve just done some quick checking of the past three women’s rumbles and they are usually quite guest heavy.

2018: 12 guest wrestlers
    2019: 6 guest wrestlers (also two that were free agent but just because WWE hadn’t branded them yet)
    2020: 15 guest wrestlers (12 from NXT/UK)

Based on the precedent that the rumble winner can challenge for the NXT title now, surely some of the NXT ladies should have taken the chance to announce themselves for the match, that would have really added to this one. I’m actually concerned they might not have any NXT superstars this year, based on the rumours that the main roster and NXT rosters are kept separate to prevent covid spread (makes sense).

As far as winner goes, I’ve whipped up a quick list

Bianca Belair: makes most sense as challenger for the SmackDown title, and also would really give her the boost she needs
    Shayana Baszler: would work as a potential challenger for Asuka at WrestleMania, and after she was robbed of last year win, I think this one makes sense.
    Charlotte: because you can never discount WWE deciding to push Charlotte more.
    Rhea Ripley: the only possible challenger for a charlotte won title that would honestly make me happy. She has basically wrapped it up in NXT so expect her to be making a main roster debut here
    Nia Jax: because god hates us.
    Bayley: A bit out of left field for a win, but honestly Sasha vs Bayley is a WrestleMania worthy match and we all know it’s gonna happen sooner or later.

I wish I could choose three superstars to win, but as always it’s only two. I am 100% certain that we get Rhea Ripley making her main roster arrival in the rumble (now watch WWE not do it just to spite me), and honestly the best way to establish someone would be the rumble win, so she’s pick one, and I’m going with Bianca Belair for my second choice, she did good last year and I think that could signal her winning this one.

Zak: Rhea Ripley or Bianca Belair
    Brother: Bayley or Alexa Bliss
    Dad: Rhea Ripley and Ruby Riott

Men’s Royal Rumble

For the first time in a while, the field is looking wide open for anyone to win. Last year it was inevitable that whoever eliminated Brock would be the challenger, and the past several years have been either predictable or obvious given the champion at the time. This is the first time I’ve wrote about this match and not had a clue who was going to win. I’ve got an idea but I can’t say I know.

I am a bit worried after reading a rumour that WWE had considered a terrible idea for one of the rumbles, but after seeing nothing more on it since last week, I think it may just be rumour.

Our contenders

Seth Rollins: Not currently announced but likely to return, and let’s be honest, if he returns as a face then he is the perfect candidate to face Roman
    Daniel Bryan: I’ve been saying that Bryan winning the rumble is a good idea all month and honestly I’m still hopeful he will
    Otis: I mean, WWE did give him the Money in the Bank with no plan, this is probably the terrible idea they had
    Keith Lee: I dunno if they are as big on pushing him as they once were, but I could see this being an option
    Edge: While not as telegraphed as when Orton was briefly world champion, this is still an option. We definitely have Edge winning a world championship during his return run at some point, I just don’t think they need the rumble to do it.
    Shinsuke Nakamura: After how he was screwed over by Reigns and has recently returned to the light side, I think there is a slim chance for him winning to set up a match with Reigns at WrestleMania.
    Big E: long rumoured but with the IC title, I can’t see him winning at the moment.

I can also see a few other superstars winning, such as Sheamus (Sheamus vs Drew would work), Mustafa Ali (makes Retribution kinda worth it in the end) and even Brock Lesnar or Goldberg because you can never discount WWE’s infinite capacity for poor decisions. Honestly I am picking for optimism and going with either Daniel Bryan or Keith Lee, either of those options would be great choices in my eyes.

Zak: Daniel Bryan or Keith Lee
    Brother: AJ Styles or Dominik Mysterio (Originally Rey until he spotted his son in the match)
    Dad: Dolphin Juggler or Otis

Dog Predictions

Okay, with only four matches to pick from, I decided to go low effort and not go through the hassle of the printer, instead just wrote the matchups in pen, and then quite easily tore the chicken roll into eight pieces. More PPV’s should be this easy for us.

Took Drew McIntyre and his paper
    Immediate pick for Asuka and Charlotte
    Picked Reigns after a quick sniff
    Took Carmella, threw her on the floor and ate her chicken and paper.

Okay, looking over the card and I am feeling substantially less excited than at the beginning, but it still the Royal Rumble, it’s very rare that there is a bad one, and we usually get at least one match of the year contender from the show. So despite WWE’s best efforts, I’m still exited, here’s hoping they can carry this through to Monday. For now though it is time I bid you all a fond farewell, as always I hope you have enjoyed today’s column and I’ll see you next time.

The worst PPV ever is coming soon.
    Send in your top 10 to help us find out what the worst PPV ever is.

Banks vs. Carmella: I've not minded this feud as much as you Zak, granted it's filler but that's what Reigns/Owens started off as. It obviously hasn't reached that point but it's been good enough. Banks to win.
    Asuka & Charlotte vs. Baszler & Jax: I think Baszler & Jax regain the titles and defend them against the winners of the Women's Dusty Classic at 'Mania.
    Reigns vs. Owens: I wouldn't be against an Owens win and a short reign culminating in a loss inside the Chamber where Reigns manipulates his way into entering last and beating a tired Owens. But I doubt that happens, and Reigns retains. Probably by taping Owens' feet to the ring post or something ala Cena/Batista.
    McIntyre vs. Goldberg: If anyone else was champion I'd say there was a 50/50 chance that Goldberg wins but McIntyre's been so heavily pushed and protected that I don't see it happening, even though they have an out of McIntyre having had COVID which could build to a rematch at 'Mania. Hopefully McIntyre just wins this one though.
    Women's Rumble: I thought Rhea Ripley was a lock to win before Smackdown but after everything with Belair I can see her winning it. I'm gonna go with Ripley though, but Charlotte will somehow end up in the Raw Women's Title Match too making it a Triple Threat. Meanwhile Belair can either win a Chamber Match or beat Bayley in a rubber match to earn the title shot against Banks.
    Men's Rumble: Again I thought Bryan was a lock but Edge's return throws a spanner in the works. As does rumours of John Cena potentially being a surprise entrant as that'd tie him with Austin's 3 Rumble wins and actually I'd be up for McIntyre vs. Cena at 'Mania. But I'm going to stick with my original pick of Bryan finally winning a Rumble, with the irony being there'll be no fans to cheer it after the back-to-back years of vitriol towards winners that weren't Bryan in '14 and '15.

Comment

I wouldn't discredit Big E winning based on the fact he has the IC title. Though, this isn't as good as a comparison (because Cena did not win the rumble), John Cena became number one contender while holding onto the US title (in 2005) and ended up dropping the belt prior to his Mania match with JBL. Same could happen with Big E. Though, I think Big E's time may be next year.

Comment

Seriously, Big E isn't getting anywhere near a Rumble win. He's good, but he's staying firmly rooted in the upper mid-card, that's where his ceiling is and there are so many others more deserving than him it's unbelievable so many people think he has a chance at getting to the main event.

As for the Rumbles...In my 2021 predictions I picked Charlotte and Orton.

Charlotte I'm still 100% confident with. WWE love putting tag titles on main eventers for them to split up and start a feud it's inevitable this goes that same way. Show opens with Charlotte winning the Rumble (being the first female two time winner is just another 'first time ever' for her...). Later in the night she turns on Asuka during their tag title defence and Points At The WrestleMania Sign. I just hope Asuka beats her this time, she's earned it.

As for the men....I'm definitely not convinced about Orton winning any more. Who does win? I don't know, there isn't really an obvious candidate this year. Bryan will always be a good shout though.

But as Vince is booking it and we know something stupid has been suggested, Goldberg will win the title off Drew then go on to win the Rumble and take Roman's title at WrestleMania. He will then disappear with both belts for months until he returns to defend them both against Lesnar at SummerSlam.

Serious question:
        What are the chances Miz cashes in MITB on Goldberg immediately after he beats McIntyre?
        New Column: Unfinished Business

Comment

The only thing I'll say on Goldberg is, if WWE feels the need to roll him out this time of year, I'd much rather it happen at the Rumble than at WrestleMania. With two hour long matches to get through in the Rumbles, and Owens vs. Reigns certainly set to receive a good amount of run, it makes sense to have a match for the WWE Championship that we know will be short.

Of the men Rumble winner options you presented, I think I'd be most excited for Rollins vs. Reigns at Mania, though Bryan would be a close second. For the women, I like either Bianca or Rhea the most. Time to get some new blood cycling in to the women's main event scene.

Good preview, Zak. Hopefully it's a good show!

Comment

Haven't watched the Rumble yet, but I'll admit I'm not exactly excited for the show. A Rumble is still a Rumble but it felt like they were just going through the motions at times. I wouldn't even venture to guess whose winning either Rumble and that's a good thing for the unpredictability factor!

Comment

That's not going to go down as a classic, the whole night was fairly uneventful. And Owens/Reigns was as awful as you'd expect a last man standing match to be.

Great to see Victoria get her retirement tour appearance. And you've got to say Christian and Carlito look like they should be at the peak of their careers!

But as I watched, I become more and more convinced that my prediction from last year of Orton winning was going to come true. As the match got going, I actually thought they were going to go with the route of him & Edge fighting outside the ring for the whole match, only returning once everyone else had been eliminated. If they'd gone that route rather than the way they did it, I think it could have gone down as maybe not a classic, but certainly a memorable Rumble match.
              New Column: Unfinished Business

Comment

Feedback time

@TheCook: Good picks dude, you were one off a perfect score there. I do like your idea of them facing the women's Dusty Cup winner, but my current pick for it is Candice and Hartwell, so I don't know how that would work.

@LifeLostinRewind: You raise a fair point, while it is unlikely it is a possibility we still see Big E make it to Mania for the title, though I do agree that next year is definitely more likely for him if he keeps up his momentum, thanks for the read.

@Dynamite: Those are some bleak picks there. I'm still thinking that we see some blend of Asuka/Charlotte/Ripley at WrestleMania but I'm hoping for a happy ending instead of last year.

@Mavsman: In fairness with his two a year, he still could and most likely will be at WrestleMania, but as long as it isn't in a title match I can live with that.
                Rollins vs Reigns would be interesting to see, not least for how they skirt around the Dean Ambrose situation. But aside from that they had a fantastic match a few years back and a sequel would definitely be something to grab some attention.

@Don: I was completely with you on that, the builds been a bit meh but it's the Royal Rumble, there's no better time in wrestling.

@Dynamite2: Owens/Reigns definitely wasn't your sort of match type I'll say that, I didn't mind it and thought it was pretty good. I agree that overall it will probably be a more forgettable show but I wouldn't call anything particularly bad.

That's the first time I've ever heard anyone saying more Randy Orton would have helped a match. It would have been an interesting way to go with it, though inevitably it would end up like 1999 with Stone Cold and Vince, where they likely end up backstage for a good portion.

Thanks to Everyone for all the reads and feedbacks, great to see this place so busy again. Now, onto the Royal Recap

What’s up guys, Kingzak is back in action with another column. The Royal Rumble is over and it’s safe to say opinions are mixed across the board. The show went roughly as you’d expect it to given all the parts involved and ultimately that has left a very odd taste in the mouth of the fans. So let’s dive in and take a look at the good, the bad and the confusing of The Royal Rumble.

Nia Jax and Shayna Baszler beat Asuka and Charlotte Flair (Pinfall)
                New Women's Tag Team Championship

What was the point in them winning in the first place? Seriously this is just some needless stat padding for everyone involved. So now Charlotte and Asuka go their separate ways and Charlotte feuds with Lacey Evans in the clash of generic blondes, while Asuka likely moves to a single feud with one of the champions in the lead up to WrestleMania, and we can only pray that Nia doesn’t get the WrestleMania match.

Zak: 0-1 (Asuka and Charlotte)
                Brother: 0-1 (Asuka and Charlotte Flair)
                Dad: 0-1 (Asuka and Charlotte Flair)
                Dog: 0-1 (Asuka and Charlotte)

Drew McIntyre beat Goldberg (Pinfall)

Thank Christ for that. The worries about Goldberg finding himself a world title match at WrestleMania is genuinely one of the biggest dangers in all wrestling.

Something I just realised, we never had to worry about Goldberg in the Rumble, you act like he’d do more than five minutes work in an evening.

Zak: 1-1 (Drew McIntyre)
                Brother: 0-2 (Goldberg)
                Dad: 0-2 (Goldberg)
                Dog: 1-1 (Drew McIntyre)

Sasha Banks beat Carmella (submission)

This was one of the matches that was without a question, still a solid effort from both ladies, and the main moment this will be remembered for is Carmella eating shit during a suicide dive. For those who haven’t seen it, she kinda overshot Sasha and ended up faceplanting onto the ramp. Why is a suicide dive a requirement for a wrestlers arsenal these days?

Zak: 2-1 (Sasha Banks)
                Brother: 1-2 (Sasha Banks)
                Dad: 1-2 (Sasha Banks)
                Dog: 1-2 (Carmella)

Bianca Belair won the Women’s Royal Rumble

Fun fact: as a group, me and the family have correctly predicted every woman’s rumble so far. I’ve done three with the only one missing being last year’s surprise Charlotte win. In all honesty, so far the women’s rumbles have all delivered as rumbles go, not a dud among them, even if I disagree with the aftermath.

The first four entrants all did brilliant in their roles, obviously the trio of Bayley, Bianca and Naomi did fantastic throughout the match, and Kay was pretty good as a comedy role. Shotzi’s quick elimination is a shame, but her being eliminated by Shayna Baszler works for me, a good bit of long term storytelling there (Shotzi’s first match was a battle royal, she eliminated Baszler).

From Baszler on, no one else made much of an impact with the exception of Ripley and Flair of course. A lot of people have pointed out the long term build of the final three being Ripley, Bianca and Flair, what a change a year can make. There is so much to like from this years and I can only hope that the momentum doesn’t fall away.

Zak: 3-1 (Rhea Ripley or Bianca Belair)
                Brother: 1-3 (Bayley or Alexa Bliss)
                Dad: 1-3 (Rhea Ripley and Ruby Riott)

Roman Reigns beat Kevin Owens

I love a good last man standing match, it usually is as close as you can come to a more real movie-esque brawl (with the advent of cinematic matches it is now second), it feels unique to the wrestling you usually get. This definitely had that feel as the two brawled throughout the arena. The only negative is the finale bit felt a bit flat in comparison, the two had thrown each other off high drops and beat each other with anything that wasn’t nailed down and the finish was a submission hold. After a handcuff spot too, it was a bit of an anti-climax, but it does make the guillotine choke from Roman look very devastating.

Zak: 4-1 (Roman Reigns)
                Brother: 1-4 (Kevin Owens)
                Dad: 1-4 (Anyone but Roman Reigns)
                Dog: 2-2 (Roman Reigns)

Edge won the Men’s Royal Rumble

Edge and Orton going the full match is a very questionable decision. But then again we haven’t had a proper ironman run since 2018 when we had three (Daniel Bryan in the Greatest Rumble counts), so I don’t entirely mind it. I do think this is a bit of a weird route to go at the moment, Edge has no particular opponent that stands out of the champions. I had hoped they would have gone for a different time to go for Edge’s title reign, but I guess strike while the iron is hot I guess.

A lot of people saying this make current stars look bad, and honestly it doesn’t, Edge eliminated three people, two at the end and one with Christian. Big E and Damien Priest were the two to do the most damage with four a piece, but that is a good thing. A lot of young/current talent got the chance for a shine in this match, Big E and Priest did good, meanwhile Matt Riddle, Daniel Bryan and Shinsuke Nakamura all got 20+ minutes in the match, while Seth and Braun also got three eliminations each during their brief run. That is seven top talent getting a good shine here.

I’ve got no idea who Edge challenges, Roman makes more sense because of the heel/face dynamic but he is considered a Raw superstar so Edge vs Drew could be possible. Fuck it he might even decide he is going to pull a Charlotte and challenges Finn Balor for the NXT title, I think I remember Edge saying Finn was someone he wanted to face. I guess we wait and see, hopefully it doesn’t destroy anyone’s momentum.

Zak: 4-2 (Daniel Bryan or Keith Lee)
                Brother: 1-5 (AJ Styles or Dominik Mysterio)
                Dad: 1-5 (Dolphin Juggler or Otis)

Genuinely, I think the best way to watch this one is from the Women’s Rumble onwards, the Women’s Rumble is my pick for match of the night, it just makes me happy to see superstars from NXT be treated as a big deal. Overall, the night went pretty alright, none of our worst case scenarios were met, Goldberg isn’t world champion, Nia Jax didn’t win the rumble and out of all the part timer talent on offer, at least they went with the newest one on offer. And on that optimistic note, it is time I bid you all a fond farewell. As always I hope you have enjoyed today’s column and I will see you next time.
                The worst PPV ever is coming soon.
                Send in your top 10 to help us find out what the worst PPV ever is.

Comment

Working...
                X